KK UTG - Last Hand of the Night

dj_sezdj_sez Red Chipper Posts: 11 ✭✭
My image tonight was very lag on a mostly passive table. Therefore, had some huge swings, but fortunately was sitting +$160 at a $2-100 cash game.

Hero: $360 UTG limps for $2 with :Kc :Kd
UTG +1: $140 limps for $2
HJ: $400 - just sat down, first hand off the night, raises to $6
CO: 3-bets all-in for $20

Button and blinds fold

Hero, UTG +1, and HJ call

Pot = $83

:Ks :Qs :9h

Everyone checks

:7s

Everyone checks

:2d

Hero bets $20

Everyone folds.

I show my top set and the CO mucks, much to the bewilderment of the table that I'd play KK so passively given my loose table image.

Before the hand was dealt, I told myself it would be my last hand. As soon as I saw the Kings I was worried because I had already told myself it would be my last hand, and I didn't want to lose my $160 profit. I thought maybe I could check-raise depending on what happens. When the CO went all-in, I figured if I re-raised, the other two might fold and I wouldn't gain much value. If I call, maybe the HJ will 4-bet to try to iso (which he confirmed after the hand - he said he had small suited connectors), and then I could go over the top. But just the thought of that worried me, given my aforementioned concerns.

However, it was called around and we went to the flop. I flopped top set on a very draw heavy board. This is where I thought I'd need to check raise. Given the size of the pot and the max limit of $100 bet/raise, I assumed I wouldn't be able to get anyone off their draws anyways.

However, it's checked around and a third spade comes on the turn. I automatically assume someone hit their flush, so I check, as does everyone else.

The river is a total brick so I decide to lead out with what I believe to be a value/probe bet, but everyone folds.

Instead of asking specific questions, I'll just ask: would you have played this differently given your positive stack size and it being your last hand?

Comments

  • TheGameKatTheGameKat Posts: 2,402 -
    Yes.
    Moderation In Moderation
  • TheGameKatTheGameKat Posts: 2,402 -
    edited September 6
    Let me elaborate.

    I get it. You've ground out a profit. This is your last hand. You don't want to give that profit back. But...

    1. You're either playing poker or you've already checked out. If the latter, why even look at your hand? Toss it in the muck and wish everyone a good evening.

    2. Given your mental state, was the limp-reraise ever part of your plan here? If you're going to limp KK UTG and get raised and 3-bet, I can't see doing anything other than 4-betting here.

    3. You say one reason you didn't 4-bet was because you were worried about losing value if everyone folded. How much do you think KK OOP is worth? There's a load of dead money out there.

    4. Check-raising the flop is viable here, but there's a problem. There's a player AI. This means everyone remaining knows they are going to have to show their hand to win. In these protected pot scenarios, low-limit players tend to stab less, thus your prospects of checking into a bet and raising it are lower than usual.

    6. Why assume on the turn someone hit their flush? Nobody bet the flop, thus the odds that anyone flopped a flush draw are low.

    6. Given that it's apparent nobody has anything, I think your river sizing is defensible.
    Moderation In Moderation
  • Paul_KPaul_K DFWRed Chipper Posts: 330 ✭✭✭
    In football, you can take a knee to book a win (American football, Kat). This is done because teams don’t have the luxury of ending the game on their own.

    I do have a couple questions tho...

    Why did you show your hand?
    And where did Kat learn to count?
  • persuadeopersuadeo Red Chipper, Table Captain Posts: 4,095 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Kat will ban your ass for less, punk.

    Anyway, you actually need to bet the turn as played because you want flush draws in your range, and your hand retains equity to call if facing the unlikely event of a raise.
  • TheGameKatTheGameKat Posts: 2,402 -
    Paul_K wrote: »
    In football, you can take a knee to book a win (American football, Kat). This is done because teams don’t have the luxury of ending the game on their own.

    I do have a couple questions tho...

    Why did you show your hand?
    And where did Kat learn to count?

    I learned to count on a firing range.

    Also I won back-to-back titles in an 18-team PPR league the last 2 years, so have passing familiarity with this NFL thing.

    The hand had to be shown down due to the AI player.
    Moderation In Moderation
  • Paul_KPaul_K DFWRed Chipper Posts: 330 ✭✭✭
    TheGameKat wrote: »
    The hand had to be shown down due to the AI player.

    Doh... yep.
    TheGameKat wrote: »
    Also I won back-to-back titles in an 18-team PPR league the last 2 years, so have passing familiarity with this NFL thing.

    So, dominance in Cheese Rolling wasn't enough? Now you've come for our beloved fantasy sports?
  • Paul_KPaul_K DFWRed Chipper Posts: 330 ✭✭✭
    persuadeo wrote: »
    Kat will ban your ass for less, punk.

    Now I've put him to the test for sure...

  • TheGameKatTheGameKat Posts: 2,402 -
    Paul_K wrote: »
    TheGameKat wrote: »
    The hand had to be shown down due to the AI player.

    Doh... yep.
    TheGameKat wrote: »
    Also I won back-to-back titles in an 18-team PPR league the last 2 years, so have passing familiarity with this NFL thing.

    So, dominance in Cheese Rolling wasn't enough? Now you've come for our beloved fantasy sports?

    I like math problems with cash prizes.
    Moderation In Moderation
  • jeffncjeffnc Red Chipper Posts: 4,749 ✭✭✭✭✭
    dj_sez wrote: »
    Instead of asking specific questions, I'll just ask: would you have played this differently given your positive stack size and it being your last hand?

    Some really strong psychological things would have to be going on in my life to overcome the really strong logical things going on in my brain. To paraphrase Tommy Angelo, you only get to play one session of poker in your entire life, and you don't know when the last hand will be. You get to take some breaks if you like, but these are just that, so does it really matter what your score is at that point if you're coming back to the table soon?
  • KindaKaiKindaKai Red Chipper Posts: 6 ✭✭
    jeffnc wrote: »
    dj_sez wrote: »
    Instead of asking specific questions, I'll just ask: would you have played this differently given your positive stack size and it being your last hand?

    Some really strong psychological things would have to be going on in my life to overcome the really strong logical things going on in my brain. To paraphrase Tommy Angelo, you only get to play one session of poker in your entire life, and you don't know when the last hand will be. You get to take some breaks if you like, but these are just that, so does it really matter what your score is at that point if you're coming back to the table soon?


    Very interesting quote. However, I think Tommy's intended audience is recreational players maybe. If you do it for a living, it would be hard to wrap around without giving a single damn to the score.
  • jeffncjeffnc Red Chipper Posts: 4,749 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well, I'm not really sure where I was paraphrasing from - probably Elements of Poker. But if you read Painless Poker, it certainly seems pros are part of his intended audience.
  • TheGameKatTheGameKat Posts: 2,402 -
    KindaKai wrote: »
    jeffnc wrote: »
    dj_sez wrote: »
    Instead of asking specific questions, I'll just ask: would you have played this differently given your positive stack size and it being your last hand?

    Some really strong psychological things would have to be going on in my life to overcome the really strong logical things going on in my brain. To paraphrase Tommy Angelo, you only get to play one session of poker in your entire life, and you don't know when the last hand will be. You get to take some breaks if you like, but these are just that, so does it really matter what your score is at that point if you're coming back to the table soon?


    Very interesting quote. However, I think Tommy's intended audience is recreational players maybe. If you do it for a living, it would be hard to wrap around without giving a single damn to the score.

    Professionals who care about the daily score rapidly become ex-professionals.
    Moderation In Moderation

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Image
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file