Would You Play This Any Differently?

Paul SALTERPaul SALTER Red Chipper Posts: 31 ✭✭
$1/$3 NLHE at Tampa Bay Downs

Hero ($187) is in the lowjack with :Kh :Kd facing two limpers and raises to $25. BB and UTG1 call, three to the flop.

FLOP: :Ac :Qd :5c

BB checks, UTG $45/$75. Hero and BB call. Three to the turn.

TURN: :9h

BB checks. UTG checks. Hero shoves remaining $117 ($210). BB and UTG call.

RIVER: :4c

BB shows :Ad :6d and UTG shows :7c :2c to river the flush.

Alternative options considered:

1. raising the flop.
2. checking the turn.

I'm trying to see other alternative plays to get myself out of my own head and box of thinking. Any insight or feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Tagged:

Comments

• jeffncjeffnc Red Chipper Posts: 4,749 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A very simple rule of thumb (that isn't very accurate) in the low stakes games is: 1 opponent, try bluffing, 2 or more opponents, play fit or fold.

I would just give up on the flop. Aces are just too common for people to see the flop with. Those guys are bananas, so you make your money by going to Value Town. Hint: it's not this stop.
  • AceBalaAceBala Red Chipper Posts: 25 ✭✭
    I think your preflop is ok , some may say you could raise little higher but again it depends on the board, Wher i plan $1/$2 25 is a good raise and only calling stations are going to call or someone to trap you , As they know your range is Like AA, AK, KK, QQ .. That is it.

Analysing your hand, When the UTG bets $45 out of $75, You need to think about what are the hands that he is going to bet that with that got you beet and what are the hands he is drawing with.

In this texture. Any AX hand will make this bet , Considering he didn't Raise preflop you can take out AK, Aq, AJ out of his range.. The remaining is from A10 to A5 this is around 72 combination. Also including the Club flush draw hand like T9,98,76,56 This is around 4. You are beaten to 76 combos.

What combos you beat? Probably any QX hands ( KQ, QT, Q9) or a straight draw hand like KJ Which is around only 38 combos.
    On PReflop you have 72 combination Clearly beat you and you have only 38(Qx hands) + 4 Suited hands ( T9, 98,76,56) 42 hands beaten.

Unless the UTG is a Huge fish, its a fold here. Continuing with 2nd pair in a draw heavy board is not a good idea.

Your Shove on the Turn , Not a good idea you give enough ODD to call the pot becomes after your shove. Its 100 to call you 300 pot, It even better when the other opponents calls Its 100 to call 400 pot..

I see people getting sticky with AA, KK and some time QQ. I always watch this and try to exploit them.

Let me know if this helps
  • jeffncjeffnc Red Chipper Posts: 4,749 ✭✭✭✭✭
    AceBala wrote: »
    Unless the UTG is a Huge fish, its a fold here.

Based on his play in this hand, would you say he's a good player?

• Paul SALTERPaul SALTER Red Chipper Posts: 31 ✭✭
    I think your preflop is ok , some may say you could raise little higher but again it depends on the board, Wher i plan $1/$2 25 is a good raise and only calling stations are going to call or someone to trap you , As they know your range is Like AA, AK, KK, QQ .. That is it.

Analysing your hand, When the UTG bets $45 out of $75, You need to think about what are the hands that he is going to bet that with that got you beet and what are the hands he is drawing with.

In this texture. Any AX hand will make this bet , Considering he didn't Raise preflop you can take out AK, Aq, AJ out of his range.. The remaining is from A10 to A5 this is around 72 combination. Also including the Club flush draw hand like T9,98,76,56 This is around 4. You are beaten to 76 combos.

What combos you beat? Probably any QX hands ( KQ, QT, Q9) or a straight draw hand like KJ Which is around only 38 combos.
    On PReflop you have 72 combination Clearly beat you and you have only 38(Qx hands) + 4 Suited hands ( T9, 98,76,56) 42 hands beaten.

Unless the UTG is a Huge fish, its a fold here. Continuing with 2nd pair in a draw heavy board is not a good idea.

Your Shove on the Turn , Not a good idea you give enough ODD to call the pot becomes after your shove. Its 100 to call you 300 pot, It even better when the other opponents calls Its 100 to call 400 pot..

I see people getting sticky with AA, KK and some time QQ. I always watch this and try to exploit them.

Let me know if this helps

Well said. and hindsight is 20-20, to say the least.
    jeffnc wrote: »
    Unless the UTG is a Huge fish, its a fold here.

Based on his play in this hand, would you say he's a good player?

He sat down and shoved dark for $137 on his very first hand...so, he wasn't exactly the sharpest poker player at the table :)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file