Strategy for 1/2/100 spread limit hold em

MrFussMrFuss Red Chipper Posts: 142 ✭✭
Im planning to play some cash games this weekend in Blackhawk, CO during the Heartland Poker Tour. Unfortunately the state of Colorado has a betting limit of $100 and Im trying to figure out how this should affect my strategy. Generally I think I should try to keep the pots smaller and play very straightforward. It's also important to note that there is no max buy in and I have no idea what players will sit down with. Typically I sit with $200 if thats the max or $300 if the max is higher.

Lets say EP makes it 7, 2 callers and Im on the button with KK. I 3bet to 35. EP calls.
The pot is now 87
Flop comes JsTs7c
EP checks. I bet 65. EP calls
The pot is now 217
Turn is 2d
EP checks

I can only bet 100 which allows my opponent to call with any Ax flush draw and most straight draws. I dont see a way to play this scenario where I can force my opponent to make mistakes but letting him see a free river would be a big mistake on my part. Im just not sure what to do.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Comments

• TheGameKatTheGameKat Las VegasPosts: 4,745 -
    I suspect the vast majority of pots will play like NL. If you've ever played limit you'll be familiar with the idea that it's frequently impossible to make a bet that causes an opponent to make a calling error. (This can happen in NL in AI situations.)

If you want to make it play more like NL for you, buy in shorter.
    Moderation In Moderation
  • persuadeopersuadeo Red Chipper Posts: 4,367 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The issue in NL is the natural paradigm of the game, where the PFR wants leverage over the caller before the river, and the caller wants it trending toward the river. In this game, he may not be able to exert this leverage on the next street, as if short stacked. Hence all ranges and actions revolve around SDV rather than polarity, and linear preflop ranges basically win the game.
  • MrFussMrFuss Red Chipper Posts: 142 ✭✭
    Very helpful persuadeo, thanks.
    persuadeo wrote: »
    Hence all ranges and actions revolve around SDV rather than polarity, and linear preflop ranges basically win the game.
    This should be the definition for playing straightforwardly in the poker dictionary.
  • Eon137Eon137 Red Chipper Posts: 253 ✭✭✭
    Since your bet sizing is capped for later streets you may want to keep pot sizes smaller pre and on the flop. This will give you a little room for leverage as @persuadeo indicates. This is often easier said than done at low limits where everyone wants to see a flop.
  • persuadeopersuadeo Red Chipper Posts: 4,367 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Eon137 wrote: »
    Since your bet sizing is capped for later streets you may want to keep pot sizes smaller pre and on the flop. This will give you a little room for leverage as @persuadeo indicates. This is often easier said than done at low limits where everyone wants to see a flop.

That is certainly a strategy that serves me well in these types of games, but note that this does expand the type of hands that can be vpip'd somewhat.

The alternate path of front loading all aggression is where linear ranges are absolutely necessary.

Choosing one of these two paths and perhaps uniting them in some way is where a true theory of spread limit will arise. Note that there are different spreads available on a per state basis, and that cap in relation to the blinds matters a lot.
  • MrFussMrFuss Red Chipper Posts: 142 ✭✭
    edited September 2019
    Here in Colorado you can raise $100 at any time. As persuado said it mostly played like regular NL. There were a few occasions when $100 bets were made and it was essentially just going all in with extra steps but you can only "go all in linear". Suicide to run it up $100 at a time on a bluff.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file