Confused on Turn

TheGrindersCookbookTheGrindersCookbook Merrimack, NHRed Chipper Posts: 81 ✭✭
Hey guys, had a hand here that I already kicked off to some other RCP folks but wanted to see what others thought too. We are playing 1/2 NLHE at Chasers in Salem, NH. My particular table was about 60% OMC's, a wild LAG, myself, and a rotating 5 seat of players that would come in bust and leave. We are about 3 hours into the session when this hand happens.

Hero: $250
V: $175

Hero is in the CO and looks down at :9d :9h and it has limped to him. Typically, I would open this hand to about $18-20. There were about 4 limpers so far. However, we have some deep stacks at the table now, and mostly are OMC's who were getting called off light. I think this is a specific spot where limping is good looking to set mine and capitalize on implied odds. I elect to limp.

We go 6 ways to a flop.

Flop: :7c :8c :9s

Top set, great! It checks to hero who would like to bet here. This is a very wet and connected board so I can't imagine I have much FE as many hands are going to continue. I decide to bet $10 into $12.

We get one caller, who is the button and an OMC. The range of his hands here can include Tx, any clubs, 6x, 78, 89. 22-66, Ax, and I think that is about it.

Turn: :Jd

Here is where I get confused. The V checks again, so my initial thought was he can't have the Tx holdings anymore. I dont really see check/raises from these guys happening. With the pot now at $22, it doesnt seem like he can continue with much on this board other than a T. For this reason, I think that any small bet will likely get the job done and we end the hand now. I bet $15.

V snap raises to $45. OK, so he does have the T is my first thought. I think I am behind, but its only $30 to call. The pot is $77 now. My equity is roughly 20% assuming he has the Tx here. So, direct pot odds, I don't think I have. However, we know V loves his hand so if the board pairs, I like to believe I am getting his entire stack. This was the reason we played the hand the way we did preflop, anyways.. right? For that reason, I decide to call.
River: :Jh
V jams immediately
I snap-call and he shows T8cc

Comments

• TheGameKatTheGameKat Posts: 2,633 -
    I don't really follow your logic/description here. First, stacks aren't particularly deep. Second, 99 feels too strong to overlimp. Third, what job are you trying to "get done" with the small turn bet?
    Moderation In Moderation
  • persuadeopersuadeo Red Chipper, Table Captain Posts: 4,167 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What a clusterf--k.

At least it's "you" when you're confused, but apparently "we" who decided to limp. That makes sense. But then "you" decided to call - did "we" fold????

Inquiring minds want to know.
  • TheGrindersCookbookTheGrindersCookbook Merrimack, NHRed Chipper Posts: 81 ✭✭
    Thanks all for the great feedback!
  • PapaGiorgioPapaGiorgio Red Chipper Posts: 81 ✭✭
    Echoing Kat here, but I don't see a reason for betting. A bet folds out all of the hands that you have crushed and exposes you to a checkraise vs a likely straight. OMC is the villain, and this type isn't going to continue unless they have the straight. Yes, you have some equity vs a made straight, but you do not have the pot odds to call. Expecting OMC to pay off when the boardpairs is wishful thinking IMO as this player type knows how to fold.
  • persuadeopersuadeo Red Chipper, Table Captain Posts: 4,167 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The reason the turn bet is fine is that this hand retains enough equity to stand adverse action, and allows him to arrive on multiple rivers with bets, raises, and folds with this and other hands. Pure polarization is much more of a concern if this bet means he will be all in on the turn - this will shrink the natural betting range.
  • jeffncjeffnc Red Chipper Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭✭✭
    We get one caller, who is the button and an OMC. The range of his hands here can include Tx, any clubs, 6x, 78, 89. 22-66, Ax, and I think that is about it.

Illogical range I think. He can have any 6, but not 97? Random weak aces? No 77 or 88?

• F0gh0rn1egh0rnF0gh0rn1egh0rn Red Chipper Posts: 16 ✭✭
    There is no reason to set mine with a hand as strong as yours in a position as strong as yours in a spot were you are behind all limpers. You should absolutely be raising something big here, probably pot. Your range is really unidentifiable here considering the hand you actually have. If a high flop comes out you can rep with a c-bet. If a low flop comes out you can value bet. In a case where the next bet is going to make you more money than not then you should elect to put money in now and then...

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file