Bomb Pot Strategy

CrodigglyCrodiggly SF Bay AreaRed Chipper Posts: 28 ✭✭
edited September 24 in Live Poker Hands
Hi All - I'm playing in a card room that runs bomb pots once per orbit and wanted to see if anyone has some general strategy resources. I'm playing on the principle looking for stronger relative hand strength (i.e. nutted hands), and playing for both sides of the pot, but was wondering if anyone had more specific recommendations.

Here's a sample hand from last night that I'm a little tilted by. Let me know your thoughts.

7-handed bomb pot with $5 ante ($35) - Effective stacks $350
Flop 1: K93r
Flop 2: 865 - two clubs

Hero is on the button with 93o, checks to Hero who bets $20
SB calls, MP calls

Turns ($75):
K93 + 10o
865 + Jh

Checks to Hero who bets $25, SB raises to $75, MP folds, Hero?

Hero actually calls, Rivers ($225):
K93T + T
865J + 3d

V bets $75, Hero folds
Hero asks "Queen jack?" - V shows QJ

Comments

• TheGameKatTheGameKat Posts: 2,497 -
    So how exactly does this work? Some twin board thing? How does the bomb work?
    Moderation In Moderation
  • NTD12NTD12 Red Chipper Posts: 69 ✭✭
    Everyone antes a predetermined amount and the hand goes right to the flop. No preflop action.

My fundamental strategy would be not to play, but...

With everyone seeing two flops, I don't think it's necessary nor feasible to play for both sides, although once the field is thinned I guess you have to have some 2-way prospects to avoid getting freerolled.

The biggest strategy adjustment to playing actual poker is that with everyone seeing the flop and an overlay from the dead money, the winning hands are going to be huge and weird and opponents will (probably incorrectly) peel the flop lightish. The latter is an extrapolation from my experience with badly played double-board Omaha variants. You're much better placed to know if this occurs in your game.

With this in mind I think your turn line is less than ideal.
    Moderation In Moderation
  • persuadeopersuadeo Red Chipper, Table Captain Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bomb pots are a beautiful thing, as you will have to play unprotected by the simple heuristics nearly all players lean on and think of, mistakenly, as a special skill.

The problem here is that you are betting merged on one board and poled on the other, meaning you should fold in aggregate once you bet.
  • kenaceskenaces Red Chipper Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭✭
    Bomb pots and especially double row are great for the game. They generate extra action, extra action, and extra fun.

With double row, it helps to have a basic understanding of split pot games. You want to play with hands than can scoop(win both boards)
    kenaces wrote: »
    Bomb pots and especially double row are great for the game. They generate extra action, extra action, and extra fun.

With double row, it helps to have a basic understanding of split pot games. You want to play with hands than can scoop(win both boards)

Right, so this sort of makes sense for PLO, but that's something of a unicorn in NLHE isn't it?

I should probably just button it if this is another "fun" thing.
    Moderation In Moderation
    Double row bomb pots are a bit of a unicorn :)

But if you find yourself playing NLH double row bomb(NLHDRB) - there has to be a lot of overlap to the basics of split-pot games. I suspect it is harder to scoop in NLHDRB than say PLO8. I also believe most NLH players have little to no knowledge of split basics. The one time I played some NLHBRM I saw decent HLH players make some very big mistakes.
    kenaces wrote: »
    Double row bomb pots are a bit of a unicorn :)

But if you find yourself playing NLH double row bomb(NLHDRB) - there has to be a lot of overlap to the basics of split-pot games. I suspect it is harder to scoop in NLHDRB than say PLO8. I also believe most NLH players have little to no knowledge of split basics. The one time I played some NLHBRM I saw decent HLH players make some very big mistakes.

Yeah makes sense. But you see the issue, no doubt. With PLO (or any Omaha variant) double board the fact you have four cards makes connecting with both boards and playing for the scoop an obvious strategy. When you only have 2 hole cards, connecting with 2 boards is extremely difficult.
    Moderation In Moderation
    TheGameKat wrote: »
    When you only have 2 hole cards, connecting with 2 boards is extremely difficult.

Yes but...

Imagine you have nada on one board and OESD on the other. You face a PSB on the flop. What are your pot odds when you are calling a full PSB to win only 1/2 the pot?

A better variation on the game is double row bomb crazy pineapple :)
    Kind of like drawing to the NFD in O8 when you have no low prospects and one is possible.
    Moderation In Moderation

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file