Tipping

JonKarlJonKarl Red Chipper Posts: 8 ✭✭
I play for a living and have been tipping $4-$8 an hour up to $1200 a month. I drag a lot of pots big and small. I realize I can’t afford that anymore. What is a good balance of tipping and trying to make a living? On some days the dealer makes way more money than I do. Is that really sustainable long term? Do I really just associate that with the cost of doing business?
Tagged:

Comments

• Jordan PowerJordan Power Red Chipper Posts: 497 ✭✭✭
    This thread has a few good perspectives.

https://forum.redchippoker.com/discussion/comment/92591#Comment_92591

I do not play for a living but I do play to make supplemental income so take my perspective with a grain of salt. I tip $1 on any post flop pot and do not tip on preflop unless there's an obvious reason to do so (maybe I stole $20 in blinds, or it was a 4 bet pot, something like that).

I have adopted, I believe it was @jeffnc's suggestion of tipping extra when you take a longer time to make a decision. I am then having a direct impact on the dealer's earning potential and I do like to throw an extra buck or two depending on size of pot.

I also appreciate what @persuadeo said in that thread about tipping at the end of the down to show appreciate for a dealer's work. There are many downs where I do not play or win a hand but the fact that a dealer kept the game moving is still worth something to me, I'll throw a buck and say thank you. This is usually very appreciated and remembered.

Tipping is the cost of doing business, but there are also benefits to it. Some of the dealers who floor where I play are pretty quick to comp me some food or throw some money for a beer on my card after a session. It's not all a sunk cost.
  • MrFussMrFuss Red Chipper Posts: 138 ✭✭
    My tipping depends on the stakes and the state of the hand. I tip less often at 1/2 or 1/3 than I do at 2/5 because its a larger portion of your win rate.

At 1/2 I do not tip if we dont see the flop. If the hand ends on the flop I will tip $1 about 50-70% of the time depending on the size of the pot. If we get to the turn I will always tip $1. If we get to showdown or if the hand takes quite a bit of time I will tip $1-$2.
  • kenaceskenaces Red Chipper Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭✭
    God only knows how much I have tipped dealers in the last 15 years BUT everyone has to eat!
  • jeffncjeffnc Red Chipper Posts: 4,778 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Some strange comments in this thread. Tipping amount per hour? How "often" you tip at 1/2? Doesn't make any sense to me. If you tip $1 for every pot won, and you can't afford that, then you can't play poker IMO.
  • jeffncjeffnc Red Chipper Posts: 4,778 ✭✭✭✭✭
    TI also appreciate what @persuadeo said in that thread about tipping at the end of the down to show appreciate for a dealer's work. There are many downs where I do not play or win a hand but the fact that a dealer kept the game moving is still worth something to me, I'll throw a buck and say thank you. This is usually very appreciated and remembered.

Agreed. Dealers will tend to appreciate you more as a person as compared to, say, the obnoxious drunk who throws a greenbird at them while on tip tilt. Not saying they don't want the green, just sayin'.

• MnpokerMnpoker Red Chipper Posts: 98 ✭✭
    It’s a cost of doing business. I sell on the net for a living, my expenses are selling fees, web charges, CC processing fees, labor, and so on. As a poker player your expenses are tipping, coaching, training and such. Tipping is just another expense line. What to tip? I say follow the leader. In other words tip the average tip in the room at your stake. I play for fun and I over tip but my purpose at the poker table is different than yours. Yes I want to show a profit and most years do but I’m not looking to pay my bills

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file