Misreading Hand/Board - Fun Stories

Cracked_Jacks11Cracked_Jacks11 Red Chipper Posts: 56 ✭✭
I was recently involved in a hand where a player misread the board, and it ended up being really uncomfortable but also very, very funny afterward. It got me thinking - I would love to hear some more stories of this type from you guys who have spent a lot more time at the tables than I have. What is the most awkward/funny instance you have seen (or done yourself!) of someone misreading their hand or the board?

For the hand I played, I 3-bet on the button with :Ks:Qs and got a surprising 3 callers.
Flop was :Ad:Jh:7c . Action checked to me, and I checked back. I'm not in the business of trying to bluff 3 other players in live low-stakes games.
On the turn, though, a beautiful :Td hits the felt. The SB, who had cold-called my 3-bet, leads right out with a 1/2 pot bet. I raise fairly large, and he instantly 3-bet jams roughly 200 BBs. I check my hand, say "ok, I assume we're chopping?" and then toss in a $100 chip to call. He stands up from his seat, loudly and triumphantly declares "Oh, we're not chopping!" and then flips over :Qh:9h .
The whole table sat silent for a good 15 seconds, including the dealer. After that short pause, he dealt the river, which was the :3s . Still, nobody said anything. The guy stood as still as a statue, staring at the board. The dealer looked up, quietly said "king queen wins with a straight," and started pushing me the pot. Even as I started stacking chips, the guy still just stood there. After probably a full minute he just turned and walked away without a word to anyone.

Comments

• blindraiseblindraise Red Chipper Posts: 316 ✭✭
    I remember one of my first times at the table I flopped a boat. I had pocket tens board came T22. I got it all on the flop against pocket jacks and thought I lost when another 2 came on the turn. The table was a buncha regs an they made fun of me lol good times
  • Delta9Delta9 Las VegasRed Chipper Posts: 54 ✭✭
    edited September 2019
    Last weekend...two players reach the river with a board of QQ77T. There’s a pot-sized all in and a snap call. The bettor tables Qx. The caller, acting excitedly as if he expects to win, proudly tables K9. He stares, puzzled, watching the pot get shipped the other way. He picks up what’s left of his chips and says meekly “I thought I had QT.”

Perhaps it was something to do with quantum physics and cards spontaneously trading places while they weren’t being observed.
  • TheGameKatTheGameKat Las VegasPosts: 5,326 -
    U_Turn wrote: »
    Last weekend...two players reach the river with a board of QQ77T. There’s a pot-sized all in and a snap call. The bettor tables Qx. The caller, acting excitedly as if he expects to win, proudly tables K9. He stares, puzzled, watching the pot get shipped the other way. He picks up what’s left of his chips and says meekly “I thought I had QT.”

Perhaps it was something to do with quantum physics and cards spontaneously trading places while they weren’t being observed.

Ross and I have discussed a formulation of board run-outs from a quantum perspective, but he insists it's a Many Worlds problem whereas I just wanna smack it with matrix mechanics.
    Moderation In Moderation
  • Jordan PowerJordan Power Red Chipper Posts: 530 ✭✭✭

I have this nightmare 2-3 times a month!
  • Eon137Eon137 Red Chipper Posts: 265 ✭✭✭
    TheGameKat wrote: »

Ross and I have discussed a formulation of board run-outs from a quantum perspective, but he insists it's a Many Worlds problem whereas I just wanna smack it with matrix mechanics.

I think your are both simultaneously right and not right.
  • RCP Coach - Fausto ValdezRCP Coach - Fausto Valdez RCP Coach Posts: 859 ✭✭✭✭
    These stories are loooool
    COACHING NOW AVAILABLE HERE
    MY COACHING REVIEWS HERE
  • Cracked_Jacks11Cracked_Jacks11 Red Chipper Posts: 56 ✭✭
    Thought I would re-open this thread, as I had another funny hand play out yesterday. Old man who usually limps and rarely raises is sitting directly to my right. He raises, and I call with :6c:6h .

3 Other callers go to a flop of :Ad:6s:2h . Old man bets, I call, and everyone else folds.

:9s on the turn, he bets again, and I raise 3x. He quickly calls.

River is the :Ac , which is a beautiful card for me. I imagine he has a ton of AK, AQ, and AJ here, and now it is far less likely he has AA.

He checks, and I already know I am going to go all-in (slightly less than a pot-sized bet). However, after about 5 seconds of the action being on me, he tables his hand, :Ah:Jc . The dealer tries to quickly tell him that action is still on me, and before he flips his cards back over I declare all-in. My thinking was that if I do it really fast it might look confused, annoyed, etc.

He turns and looks at me, says "I didn't think the action was on you," then turns back to the dealer to confirm it again just to make sure. The dealer confirms that I hadn't acted, but now I have gone all in. He responds with "whatever, I call."

Obviously I win a big pot in a weird way, but then his reaction afterward made it even better. He first claimed that he thought he was in position and that I had checked before him. Then he said he thought I had checked back after he had checked. Finally, he got up and moved to the vacant seat to my left, saying it would be a better position to "keep an eye on me."

We ended up joking about it later and he was a very nice guy, but the whole river scenario made me scratch my head. Thought you all might enjoy another fun hand history.

*As an aside, I also later discussed with him that I was going all-in whether he had showed his hand or not, and he said he would have called anyway. So the results would have been the same, but it was a much stranger way to get there.
  • Bill SBill S Red Chipper Posts: 43 ✭✭
    I have a good one from a couple years backs. Not a board misread, but a good one nonetheless.

1/2 live midday game full of regs and reg wannabes (me included in that) and a man sits down with 50 BB and proceeds to play poorly with a shortstack,

After about a half hour, the following happens.
    Important facts: I am sitting with about $350. He is sitting with about $30

I act first and bet some amount with a pair of Jacks or something (actual hand irrelevant) and he excitedly declares out loud "ALL-IN" all. It gets back to me and I shrug call as its like 10 more bucks. The board runs out and he hit something that gave him the winner. I carve out the remaining few dollars and the dealer ships it over to him. In the meantime he stands up and is fist pumping and looking like he hit the jackpot. When he sees the amount the dealer has pushed over, he looks at me, my stack, points at my stack and says out load "what about the rest of it"..........

It took the dealer an uncomfortable amount of time to explain that the $320 dollars I had remaining did not belong to him because I called his all in. He left shortly after.
  • sfx_beigssfx_beigs Red Chipper Posts: 101 ✭✭
    This was a long time ago, back when I had first started playing poker. My friends that I met on UPF (looong time ago) went out to Vegas for a meetup. I was recently out of college and in my first job making not a whole hell of a lot. My friends were all professionals making a living.

Anyway... last day in Vegas, I was up a little on the trip and my friends talk me into sitting in the $8-16 limit game at Bellagio. This game was a pretty big step over my bankroll (I had been playing 3-6 in AC). I sat in to see if my skill level could reasonably handle that game.

I get dealt KsKc. I'm raising preflop and get called by a woman in EP. Flop come K high with two hearts. The woman ahead of me bets, I raise, she 3 bets, I 4-bet, she calls. Turn bricks. She checks, I bet, she calls. River is a 3rd heart. Shit. She bets, I make a crying call. She turns over a flush and I muck my hand.

My buddy who was sitting next to me grabs my shoulder. "Did you just fold Kings?"

"Yes."

"You idiot. The river paired the board!"

That's what I get for playing tired and scared of the money. My friends still give me hell about that fold. For a long time afterward, I turned every river hand face up just to make sure.
  • Bill SBill S Red Chipper Posts: 43 ✭✭
    sfx_beigs wrote: »
    This was a long time ago, back when I had first started playing poker. My friends that I met on UPF (looong time ago) went out to Vegas for a meetup. I was recently out of college and in my first job making not a whole hell of a lot. My friends were all professionals making a living.

Anyway... last day in Vegas, I was up a little on the trip and my friends talk me into sitting in the $8-16 limit game at Bellagio. This game was a pretty big step over my bankroll (I had been playing 3-6 in AC). I sat in to see if my skill level could reasonably handle that game.

I get dealt KsKc. I'm raising preflop and get called by a woman in EP. Flop come K high with two hearts. The woman ahead of me bets, I raise, she 3 bets, I 4-bet, she calls. Turn bricks. She checks, I bet, she calls. River is a 3rd heart. Shit. She bets, I make a crying call. She turns over a flush and I muck my hand.

My buddy who was sitting next to me grabs my shoulder. "Did you just fold Kings?"

"Yes."

"You idiot. The river paired the board!"

That's what I get for playing tired and scared of the money. My friends still give me hell about that fold. For a long time afterward, I turned every river hand face up just to make sure.

ouch
  • LeChiffreLeChiffre NetherlandsRed Chipper Posts: 657 ✭✭✭
    Someone had AK on a AQQ73 board, and mucked his hand at showdown when his opponent announced they had two pair (He had 87).
  • Skors3Skors3 Red Chipper Posts: 669 ✭✭✭
    A few years back at a 1/2 game I was in seat 7 and in LP. I raised to $12 or so with AQ. The seemingly OMC BB in seat 1 calls with about $80. The Flop comes AQT. He checks, I bet, he calls. I don't recall the order but the turn and river bring a K and J putting the nuts on the board. He ships into me slamming his stack in. I toss a chip and say I have a straight so I call. The guy tosses his cards in the muck. I was new to the table and learned he had been making weird moves all day. No one else was surprised. Except the dealer, who reached across her body to grab his stack and place it in front of me all while looking at him. She didn't stop looking at him and pushed me the rest of the pot with one hand. When he finally stands up to go get more chips at the cage, despite being able to buy them at the table, she finally turns to me, eyes wide open, and starts shaking her head. Her reaction was better than the $80.
  • jeffncjeffnc Red Chipper Posts: 5,007 ✭✭✭✭✭
    proudly tables K9. He stares, puzzled, watching the pot get shipped the other way. He picks up what’s left of his chips and says meekly “I thought I had QT.”

His cards were QT - until he looked at them.

Quantum chess never caught on either.
    Moderation In Moderation
  • jeffncjeffnc Red Chipper Posts: 5,007 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I had to look up Quantum Chess. I imagine it never caught on because the unknowable things in poker all "work" the same way. Your allowable actions don't change after the next card comes. If it's a heart, you aren't forced to bet the pot, and if it's a picture card, you aren't forced to check/raise, etc. (But it would be more like playing stud, where each player has their own cards.) In quantum chess, the rules basically change on the fly.

"Conventional chess is a game of complete information, and thanks to their raw power and clever algorithms, computers reign supreme when pitted against human players. The idea behind Quantum Chess is to introduce an element of unpredictability into chess, and thereby place the computer and the human on a more equal footing."

Yet this student still came up with a computer strategy to play the game.

http://research.cs.queensu.ca/Parallel/QuantumChess/QuantumChess.html
    I saw it played a few years ago and found it quite intriguing, but never understood the claim that this leveled the human-machine playing field.
    Moderation In Moderation

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file