Provocative article

TheGameKatTheGameKat Las VegasPosts: 5,326 -
I really enjoyed this recent article by Kat Arnsby, and not just because she has a really cool name.

Be interested in community views.

I constantly hear what “recs” want, they want gimmicks, they want fun, they want to gamble, they don’t know what the hell a maths is, and the more their online tables look like an episode of Tom and Jerry the better.
Moderation In Moderation

Comments

• RussRuss Red Chipper Posts: 188 ✭✭✭
    TheGameKat wrote: »

I constantly hear what “recs” want, they want gimmicks, they want fun, they want to gamble, they don’t know what the hell a maths is, and the more their online tables look like an episode of Tom and Jerry the better.

Speaking as a pure "rec" ....

1. Gimmicks annoy me. I include high hands, spin the wheel, and other silly jackpot drops in this category, in a live or online environment.
    2. I do want fun. That's why I'm at the table. If it's not fun, even if it's profitable, I'm outta there.
    3. I do want gamble. Especially if the antithesis of this is a table full of Vegas nits.
    4. I think more recs know what poker math is these days than ever before. Although the ultra-cool "mathS" phrase is ultra-stupid to me.
    5. I agree with her 100% about the cartoony stuff in the online environment. I think it's a product of the "gaming" graphics you see in Fortnight, Red Dead, GTA, etc. The poker creators think they have to keep up. And to attract the 18 - 25 year old crowd, maybe they are correct.

• TheGameKatTheGameKat Las VegasPosts: 5,326 -
    edited October 2019
    Russ wrote: »

4. I think more recs know what poker math is these days than ever before. Although the ultra-cool "mathS" phrase is ultra-stupid to me.

Kat is from UK where "maths" is the standard shortening of mathematics.
    Moderation In Moderation
  • Rich57Rich57 Red Chipper Posts: 112 ✭✭
    I'll bite, as a recreational player who has had to study to have any chance on today's tables.

"Everyone stop pretending poker is something it is not. It’s a difficult skill game, and if you want to win, you will have to work hard, you will have to think hard, and you will have to put in the hours."

This is increasingly true. Seems to me that there are no tables where I encounter players that are completely oblivious. Okay maybe one or two, but , almost everyone now has some idea of basic strategy, even at 1-2 and 1-3.

As a rec, I don't want a show and don't really care to be bombarded with gimmicks like high hand, bad beat, bomb pots etc. Let's just play poker in a friendly environment with folks who are willing to gamble a little.

I don't play online (live in VA), so cannot comment on the online issues such as HUDs, etc.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file