Live Stakes vs Online Stakes

CloutierCloutier Jacksonville, FloridaRed Chipper Posts: 21 ✭✭
Ok, so I started out this time playing online cash at .02/.05. I really didn't too well with any consistency. I'd like to make the next level (.10/.25), which I have tried and had some success with. But again, not very consistent.

However, when I go play live at my local room the lowest stakes are $2/$2. For whatever reason I've been doing pretty well there. I've profited 5 out of the 6 times I've been and overall I'm up. At my live game I'm up about 300, where I'm down 100 online.

I know online is tougher but I feel like playing .02/.05 after playing $2/$2 live is not the right thing to do. I guess I'm looking for a little guidance/wisdom from someone with more experience with this sort of dichotomy.

I know I'm definitely not ready to move up live, as my emotions with that much money would crush any chance I might have.

But what about online, should I be moving up online?

Comments

• TheGameKatTheGameKat Posts: 3,385 -
    I don't play a lot of cash anymore, but as of last year the 10c/25c online NLHE on WSOP.com was tougher than live $1/$2 in Vegas.
    Moderation In Moderation
    But that may not be the question you're really asking. You can play perfectly at live $2/$2 and lose $600 in 30 mins. That's not going to happen playing the online micros.
    Moderation In Moderation
  • CloutierCloutier Jacksonville, FloridaRed Chipper Posts: 21 ✭✭
    TheGameKat wrote: »
    I don't play a lot of cash anymore, but as of last year the 10c/25c online NLHE on WSOP.com was tougher than live $1/$2 in Vegas.

Ok. Good to know. So it sounds like I should probably even avoid .10/.25 for now. It's hard to play 2/2 and then come home and play .02/.05 and not get the Hellmuth blues. You know, the ole'... my opponents don't know as much as I do about the game, therefore they keep beating me.

I see this often when it comes to online play and figured I was running into that trap but I had to be sure. Thanks!
  • ROI RUINERROI RUINER Red Chipper Posts: 214 ✭✭
    TheGameKat wrote: »
    That’s odd. 10nl on WSOP plays like 2nl. Fish everywhere when I played about 30,000 hands. Surprised the strength of the player pool jumps that significantly in one level.

I did play some at 25nl and ran in to some good regs but didn’t play a whole lot.
    I don't have recent personal experience. It's the sort of thing that can change with time.
    Moderation In Moderation
  • kenaceskenaces Red Chipper Posts: 1,448 ✭✭✭✭
    I happened to have quick chat a few days ago with a long-time high-stakes crusher. I mentioned that I was thinking of getting into some live MTTs and was going to work on my game by playing a bunch of online MTTs. He told me that the $5 to $10 online MTT skill level would be similar to what I would find in most live ~$1500 fields!
    kenaces wrote: »
    I happened to have quick chat a few days ago with a long-time high-stakes crusher. I mentioned that I was thinking of getting into some live MTTs and was going to work on my game by playing a bunch of online MTTs. He told me that the $5 to $10 online MTT skill level would be similar to what I would find in most live ~$1500 fields!

In Vegas I'd say it was more like $600, but that assertion doesn't surprise me.
    Moderation In Moderation
  • persuadeopersuadeo Red Chipper Posts: 4,296 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You should move up as quickly as possible online. First, rake generally hits the smallest games the hardest. Second, your real goal is not just earning a few hundreds but improving. Third, your life as a poker player generally has a sort of arc of interest, which will often diminish if you linger in games too small for too long. Fourth, baby swings online will help prepare you for real swings live, which can't be evened out by volume so easily.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file