How to quickly calculate equity while playing?

strangerkissstrangerkiss Red Chipper Posts: 3 ✭✭
I've been training a bit with Equilab to try and improve my "sense" of equity against various ranges. Slooow going. I will spend more time but it's hard and I'm not getting a sense of what exactly affects the equity...high cards? connectedness? suitedness? Should I try to count outs and do the 2/4 type of calculation? Gaaah?!

Comments

  • TheGameKatTheGameKat Posts: 2,497 -
    I've been training a bit with Equilab to try and improve my "sense" of equity against various ranges. Slooow going. I will spend more time but it's hard and I'm not getting a sense of what exactly affects the equity...high cards? connectedness? suitedness? Should I try to count outs and do the 2/4 type of calculation? Gaaah?!

    I'd suggest going back a step. If you knew precisely your equity against an opponent's range, how would this impact your action? If you can get a handle on the answer to that question, it should help you figure out what equity information it is that is actually relevant to you, and thus how to estimate it.
    Moderation In Moderation
  • MrFussMrFuss Red Chipper Posts: 138 ✭✭
    TheGameKat wrote: »
    I'd suggest going back a step. If you knew precisely your equity against an opponent's range, how would this impact your action? If you can get a handle on the answer to that question, it should help you figure out what equity information it is that is actually relevant to you, and thus how to estimate it.
    All of you RCP regs are so good at answering questions with questions lol. I'll wait and see how this plays out instead of answering it for OP.
  • TheGameKatTheGameKat Posts: 2,497 -
    MrFuss wrote: »
    TheGameKat wrote: »
    I'd suggest going back a step. If you knew precisely your equity against an opponent's range, how would this impact your action? If you can get a handle on the answer to that question, it should help you figure out what equity information it is that is actually relevant to you, and thus how to estimate it.
    All of you RCP regs are so good at answering questions with questions lol. I'll wait and see how this plays out instead of answering it for OP.

    Once a prof, always a prof
    Moderation In Moderation
  • ROI RUINERROI RUINER Red Chipper Posts: 126 ✭✭
    I struggle here as well. It’s easy to know my equity with a flush draw but where I stumble is how much equity does my 88 have on a dry board in the BB vs Hijacks RFI range. Spots like that are tough to memorize.
  • MrFussMrFuss Red Chipper Posts: 138 ✭✭
    edited October 10
    ROI RUINER wrote: »
    I struggle here as well. It’s easy to know my equity with a flush draw but where I stumble is how much equity does my 88 have on a dry board in the BB vs Hijacks RFI range. Spots like that are tough to memorize.

    Thats exactly what it is, memorization. No way around that but to practice, practice, practice. Repetition is the only way I can memorize stuff.

    You can make it easier by using categories instead of exact combos. In truth you should be studying range vs range. Categories are a middle man between specific combos and entire ranges.

    For example, instead of focusing on 88, enter a range of mid pocket pairs. like 66-JJ. Then you remember "mid pocket pairs have X equity vs HJ range". Trying to remember the exact equity for each combo would be maddening and when playing against competent opponents you should be playing your entire range anyway, not just your specific hand.
  • ROI RUINERROI RUINER Red Chipper Posts: 126 ✭✭
    The range equity makes a lot of sense. JJ-77 will have similar equity K52r vs a standard positional range.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Image
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file