3betting-strategy from SB against fishy Villain

EurocratEurocrat Red Chipper Posts: 69 ✭✭
Hi everyone,

I'm currently working on my 3betting game and had this spot earlier today. Normally, from the SB, I would use a merged range against CO/BU OR. 88 would be one of the lowest pocket pairs that I consider 3betting here. In this particular case, I played some 20 hands with him before with some strong indication that this guy is a fish (less than 100bb, pretty passive play I've seen so far, pretty loose).

Now, against this type of player , I wonder if 3betting is such a good idea, since I have little versatility postflop. If effective stack sizes would be deeper I might consider coldcalling PF, but with stack sizes as they are I wonder if I'm not better off just folding in this spot.

As played, the line I chose seems pretty weak to me, but I couldn't really identify good reasons to c-bet or make a delayed c-bet on the turn (Retrospectively, I do see a smallish bet size for protection on turn). Note that if I would have faced another bet on the river, I would probably just have folded. So, looking forward to have some outside input.

The hand was played on NL10 on Pokerstars.

Table Information
Seat: 1 Hero ($10) Small Blind
Seat: 2 Player 2 ($11.88) Big Blind
Seat: 3 Player 3 ($10.32)
Seat: 4 Player 4 ($10.3)
Seat: 5 Player 5 ($7.07)
Seat: 6 Player 6 ($13.45) Dealer
Dealt to Hero
8C.png8S.png

Preflop (Pot:0.15)
Player 3 FOLD
Player 4 FOLD
Player 5 RAISE $0.3
Player 6 FOLD
Hero RAISE $1
Player 2 FOLD
Player 5 CALL $0.7

Flop(Pot: $2.15)
9C.pngJH.png5S.png

Hero CHECK
Player 5 CHECK

Turn(Pot: $2.15)
9C.pngJH.png5S.png2S.png

Hero CHECK
Player 5 BET $1.01
Hero CALL $1.01

River(Pot: $4.17)
9C.pngJH.png5S.png2S.png5C.png

Hero CHECK
Player 5 CHECK
Showdown:
Hero SHOWS
8C.png8S.png
Player 5 MUCKS
AD.png7C.png
Hero wins the pot: $4.17

Comments

• obliviusoblivius San FranciscoRed Chipper Posts: 108 ✭✭
    IF this guy was abc OR "loose" I'd flat 88 v CO 3x. 88 isn't a 3b hand v CO range unless CO likely folds to 3b's. IF he calls 3b's wide as you think it's worse to 3b. There will be flopped overcards like 60% of the time and you're OOP. You played it perfectly with the exception of the 3b pre IMO. You have the BB to consider as well which could change things. Curious as to what others might say

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file