Donk Betting VS Check Raising

ROI RUINERROI RUINER Red Chipper Posts: 126 ✭✭
edited October 8 in General Concepts
I was going through Core again for a refresher. So much good stuff there it’s impossible to digest everything even with several run throughs. I get something new with every replay of the entire course.

So this time the Donk Betting module drew me in.

The recommendations were for some good draws and made hands for balance.

I think the Donk Betting is more effective multi-way as opposed to HU pots.

My thinking from a strategy standpoint when facing a passive opponent the Donk bets will be more effective and VS an aggressive opponent the check raising will be more effective.

Is there any other factors that people consider?

Comments

• RoblivionRoblivion WisconsinRed Chipper Posts: 299 ✭✭✭
    Here are a few things to think about:

- Donking keeps remaining stacks larger relative to the pot than checkraising does.
    - Donking ensures players behind you will be forced to defend against a bet in order to see further cards, rather than get them for free
    - If you check, there is no guarantee there will be a bet and you will get to raise, but if you donk, you will definitely be forcing a decision.

I myself am still having some trouble working good donking spots into my game, but these are the starting points I've been considering.
  • EazzyEazzy Red Chipper Posts: 971 ✭✭✭✭
    The oroblem with donk betting is it tends to raoe your check callung....check raising range.....

If you donk draws and some big hands then your checking range becomes heavily weighted towards. Giving up. And mediocra hand

as an exploit it can be ok....

But players who donk into me are often players i want to isolate. With any two cards...because ther ranges are often so unbalanced...they become easy to play against post flop

A stratedgy with no donking...at leastv heads up...is much easier to construct and harder to defend against...IMO

• persuadeopersuadeo Red Chipper, Table Captain Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Eazzy wrote: »
    The oroblem with donk betting is it tends to raoe your check callung....check raising range.....

If you donk draws and some big hands then your checking range becomes heavily weighted towards. Giving up. And mediocra hand

as an exploit it can be ok....

But players who donk into me are often players i want to isolate. With any two cards...because ther ranges are often so unbalanced...they become easy to play against post flop

A stratedgy with no donking...at leastv heads up...is much easier to construct and harder to defend against...IMO

Good points. We continue to be fortunate that Eazzy's transmissions from Mars are still decipherable.
  • jeffncjeffnc Red Chipper Posts: 4,778 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Roblivion wrote: »
    Here are a few things to think about:

- Donking keeps remaining stacks larger relative to the pot than checkraising does.
    - Donking ensures players behind you will be forced to defend against a bet in order to see further cards, rather than get them for free
    - If you check, there is no guarantee there will be a bet and you will get to raise, but if you donk, you will definitely be forcing a decision.

- c/raising puts dead money in the pot.
    - c/raising allows you to see what your opponent thinks of his hand and possibly give away some bet sizing tells, with no risk on your part. Obviously this isn't true because c/raising implies you actually will raise, but what I mean is checking with the option to raise is more fluid than betting out.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file