Starting over with a plan

ROI RUINERROI RUINER Red Chipper Posts: 126 ✭✭
edited October 9 in New To Poker Questions
I’m not new to poker but am new at taking it seriously and have been for about a year. By taking seriously I mean spending time off table and intentionally trying to get better.

After about 45,000 hands at a combo of 2nl, 5nl and a couple of shots at 10nl. I was a winner at about 8bb/100. I’ve experimented with several strategies and am pretty confident in my play. I want to play a mix of tournaments, PLO and NLHE 6max.

I want to get really serious now. Currently I have a crap $120 laptop that struggles to run a HUD and poker client at the same time, and couldn’t handle a solver due to low RAM and is running out of memory.

So my plan is to first invest in a new machine. I am trying to decide if 16gb RAM is necessary or if 8 is good enough but I am going to budget about $2000 to this entire investment. It’s something I can make happen in the short term.

The $2000 will have to cover:
Bankroll
Computer
Additional software I don’t own yet which CardRunnersEV, GTO+, ICMizer are on my list as well as Leak Buster.

I currently own DriveHUD, the X-Ray Add On, and Flopzilla.

Not included in the $2000 I plan on maintaining my subscription to Red Chip Pro.

I want to have 50 buyins for my BR for cash and 100 buy ins for tourneys. (Example $100 would equal 2nl and $1 tourneys).

In the meantime I am studying the Red Chip courses and sifting through my hand history and finding my errors, what I do well and what is missing from my current game and getting aquatinted with the math in study.

Any advice or recommendations is welcome but Id like advice on one thing in particular. I am clueless on computers. Is an 8gb machine good enough for what I want to do? This frees up more money for my BR if it is. I’d like to be able to start out at 25nl if possible which would require $750.

It may or may not be important but I should also mention that while I am putting this all together I more than likely won’t be playing much. Most of my original BR is gone. I came up with this plan and took some shots at some higher buy in tourneys to win the BR and it didn’t work out which I’m ok with. I knew that was a possible outcome. It was only a couple hundred dollars and I didn’t want to grind out twenty cent pots anymore.

Comments

• boyd148boyd148 Red Chipper Posts: 95 ✭✭
    edited October 10
    If you plan on a lot of serious solver usage, higher RAM is better. 8GB will probably work with some simple scenarios but if you get into some deep multiple bet size trees with larger ranges, you'll risk not having enough. I personally would want at least 16GB RAM for hardcore usage.

Equally important is a good high speed processor. The more cores the better for heavy use and nothing slower than 4 GHz. An i7 or maybe a top of the line i5 processor at the least for serious solver work.
  • MrFussMrFuss Red Chipper Posts: 138 ✭✭
    edited October 10
    Are you wanting a desktop or planning to buy a laptop? You can build a pretty beast desktop machine for much cheaper than you can buy a desktop or laptop and you can tailor the components to your exact needs.

Building a computer is pretty easy. Most say its like Legos for adults which is absolutely true. If you are at all interested in building something I would put some options together for you using https://pcpartpicker.com/

Another nice aspect of building a machine is that you understand its components and can upgrade at your convenience.

To answer your basic question, yes you absolutely want at least 16GB ram.
  • ROI RUINERROI RUINER Red Chipper Posts: 126 ✭✭
    I didn’t even consider building one but if it is less expensive I’d consider it. I’m mechanically inclines so I’m sure I could do it. That’s an awesome suggestion actually. I’m gonna look in to it.
    ROI RUINER wrote: »
    I didn’t even consider building one but if it is less expensive I’d consider it. I’m mechanically inclines so I’m sure I could do it. That’s an awesome suggestion actually. I’m gonna look in to it.

The ROI when building a machine is huge vs buying a pre-built. If you can do some research, use a screwdriver and follow a youtube tutorial, you can build a desktop.
    MrFuss wrote: »
    The ROI when building a machine is huge vs buying a pre-built. If you can do some research, use a screwdriver and follow a youtube tutorial, you can build a desktop.

I just watched a couple of YouTube videos on it. It’s literally plug this here and don’t touch the top of this piece etc. The real value of this idea is I can buy pieces of it one by one and there’s no need to wait until I have all of the money together. I can actually increase my budget since I’m paying incrementally.

This is now part of the plan! You made my day. I might purchase my first piece tomorrow just so I am committed by taking the first step.
    This is now part of the plan! You made my day. I might purchase my first piece tomorrow just so I am committed by taking the first step.

Thats great! Im very happy to help. My advice is to use pcpartpicker to build your rig and then wait for sales which pcpartpicker can alert you of. Reddit is also a good place to check in on.

https://www.reddit.com/r/buildapcsales/
    https://www.reddit.com/r/buildapc/

The main piece you want to figure out is your processor. Everything else kinda fits around that and can be swapped around based on price, like ram and motherboard. It's really easy to fall down this black hole lol. Try to avoid all the frills like RGB this and water cooling that. All you really need is a good processor, some ram and storage. I def recommend getting an SSD vs disk drive. If you want to do any gaming you'll need a decent graphics card.
    This may end up becoming a log. I’m pretty excited about this. My career has taken a good turn. My income has increased about 50% and that will probably increase more in the next few months.

I have a lot going on. I plan on moving in February. My credit cards are maxed and they are taking priority of this poker plan but the reward for getting them squared away is the poker plan.

I’m not playing much. I’m the rec at the table when I do. I’m not grinding out sessions or anything. I’m spending a lot of time in study. Red Chip Pro has SO much content. I am taking in a lot. Shout out to Mike Gano watching a lot of his content the last couple of days. He has good content for the micros and low stakes.

I’m reviewing my 50,000 hand sample. I downloaded Leakbuster and ran my whole history through it. It graded me as a B+ player which was encouraging. I didn’t have a ton of big leaks but had some and having it broken down the way the software does I could see it and see how and why I need to adjust my thought process in hands some.

I’ve done a few poker coaching courses, and RC is the best by far. The vast amount of content and the classroom style is awesome for my learning process.

Also this forum is great as well. Probably the best even with the light traffic. Quality over quantity.

The only downside to RC is it is like grocery shopping when you are hungry. Everything looks good but you can only learn one thing at a time. Lol.
    edited October 13
    Congrats! :)
    This may end up becoming a log. I’m pretty excited about this. My career has taken a good turn. My income has increased about 50% and that will probably increase more in the next few months.

I have a lot going on. I plan on moving in February. My credit cards are maxed and they are taking priority of this poker plan but the reward for getting them squared away is the poker plan.

Idk know if you currently use a budget. Either way, I HIGHLY recommend a service called YNAB - You Need A Budget. It literally changed my wife and I's lives. I have got my mom, dad and several friends hooked on it and have seen the improvements in their lives as well.

After we bought our home we racked up about 50k in home improvement loans and card debt. Then came the panic. With YNAB we payed off all debt in 3 years and still managed to save some money and do all the things we wanted like travel and whatnot. I was able to keep flipping some of the debt to new cards with 0% terms for balance transfers which helped a lot.

There are so many positive nuances to having a budget that aren't clear until after 3-5 months of use. One example would be that you dont feel bad when you do buy something for yourself because your expenses are covered and you know you have the money allocated for the splurge. There's no, "well I think I can afford this but, i really shouldn't" followed by shame and regret.

Anyway I cannot recommend YNAB enough. Check it out, trust me.

https://www.youneedabudget.com
    I’m gonna check that out. Thanks!
  • persuadeopersuadeo Red Chipper, Table Captain Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ok, what is the long term plan here?

No one needs all this stuff to beat NL25 - you seem to have named yourself ROI Ruiner for a very good reason.

In other words, I hope the plan is to get to high stakes.
    edited October 13
    persuadeo wrote: »
    Ok, what is the long term plan here?

No one needs all this stuff to beat NL25 - you seem to have named yourself ROI Ruiner for a very good reason.

In other words, I hope the plan is to get to high stakes.

Good shot there. I like it.

That’s exactly what the plan is. My finances allows me to budget $2000 maybe a little more. I can always deposit more along the way.

The long term plan is to move up in stakes and improve my game along the way. Starting higher stakes and not improving my game would probably before reaching those stakes would be -EV.

The computer is the only expensive item relatively speaking and can be used for stuff other than poker so it’s not a direct poker investment. None of the software costs over $100 so I’m not sure where that statement is coming from.
  • jeffncjeffnc Red Chipper Posts: 4,778 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 20
    While building your own is attractive (it's what I usually do), the major benefit is not lowest cost, it's getting exactly what you want. But lowest cost is normally going to be the high volume big seller machines. If you're willing to go desktop there are some good values. I really don't recommend building your own *unless* you want very specific components and have a reason for them, and want control over exactly what's installed on your computer operating system and utility wise, and would have fun with it as a hobby. Remember if you have any issues you have to start looking them up online and join a computer forum like you joined this poker forum. Otherwise, just get a preloaded good deal.

For example, $1,000 for this. This is a full size case so you can easily add things like larger hard drive etc..

https://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/dell-desktop-computers/inspiron-desktop/spd/inspiron-3671-desktop/nd3671dtsxs

Then get a refurbished display. I've bought from this site several times and gotten excellent deals. You can pick the cosmetic condition, size, and make.
    https://www.pcliquidations.com/c295---lcd-monitors

So you're looking at $1,050 for a new computer preloaded with Windows 10 ready to turn on and use, and including a nice 20" display.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file