BB (40BB)
UTG (99BB)
UTG+1 (200BB)
UTG+2 (50BB)
UTG+3 (254BB)
UTG+4 (117BB)
CO (120BB) Villain
Button (96BB)

I may not have tried this play before listening to Fausto Valdez Fighting Back vs. LAGs.

Been playing on Ignition for practice at 5NL. Usually players are tight passive. Many of the poor players buy in for min. But today was different I actually had a true Aggro who was in almost 100% of the hands and was bullying the table while also getting lucky many times he was called. His stack had fluctuated from the high of $12 to the low of $2 and back to $6 when this hand came up. I had played one other hand with him before and he donk bet me out of the pot.

Preflop Hero in the Small blind with :Ah:Kc

Action: Fold, Fold, Limp, Fold, Fold, (Villain) Limp, Fold, Hero Raises to 6BB, Fold, Fold, Villain Calls
Pot: 14BB

When Villain Limps and just calls my preflop raise I think he has worse than any 2 cards. He probably doesn't have the top 30% of hands. I'm putting him on the bottom 70%. In 54 hands I recorded he was in 38 of them and mostly raising or 3 betting preflop.

Flop: :Jh:3h:2c

Action: Hero bets 10BB, Villain Calls 10BB
Pot: 34BB

So here is where I’m setting up the play. I know the Villain is waiting for weakness and I believe my AK is still good. I’m planning to check raise all-in just about any card. Bad idea?

Turn: :Jh:3h:2c:Td

Not a terrible turn card. If Villain has a pair and calls Hero may still have 9 live outs.

Action: Hero Checks, Villain Bets 24BB, Hero CR All-In for 100BB

Comments

• Chris_VChris_V BoiseRed Chipper Posts: 73 ✭✭
    I did a simple Fold Equity Calculation and if my reads were correct with this board I need a fold at least 35% of the time and I believe I'll get folds 58% of the time.
  • AHallai_3AHallai_3 Sault Ste Marie, MIRed Chipper Posts: 38 ✭✭
    I’m curious to what you think they continue with on the flop but would fold to this turn card. It also makes me suspicious when a “true Aggro” starts with playing passively. It’s definitely borderline to set mine with 116bb eff but I wouldn’t rule it out.

I think My play here would be to call the turn bet, then bluff shove if the river is a heart (since you hold the A)

(I’m writing this from work on my phone with no way to check the math)
    edited October 2019
    AHallai_3 wrote: »
    I’m curious to what you think they continue with on the flop but would fold to this turn card.

From the way this AggroFish played I was expecting him to float me with 100% of his air and maybe raise me on the flop if he had a Jack. This guy was a truly bad aggressive player.

Edit: He would have raised preflop with all his pocket pairs. I also thought I could move him off deuces and treys.
  • TheGameKatTheGameKat Posts: 3,393 -
    As a general philosophy, and since you brought up Fausto's live coaching session, I think it's useful to distinguish between lines we take against a decent LAG and those we take against someone who is simply bad at poker and also plays aggressively.

So in that context, I'm personally less inclined to take these pressuring lines against bad players, because if they're bad they're typically less predictable. In other words, I think you've correctly identified a capped range, but I'm less comfortable pressuring that capped range against an opponent like this. In addition you may even have SDV with AK here.
    Moderation In Moderation
    TheGameKat wrote: »
    I'm personally less inclined to take these pressuring lines against bad players, because if they're bad they're typically less predictable.

I think we can agree that as long as I don't fold I'm in +EV territory here. I'll have to go home after work and run some other lines. It's really hard to say what this Villian would do on the River with his air hands, but I have to call all bets even if I don't improve.

As it stands the Villain made the worst play possible when I shoved and called with 84o! When he calls with that he has got to be calling his whole range. Very unpredictable.
  • AHallai_3AHallai_3 Sault Ste Marie, MIRed Chipper Posts: 38 ✭✭
    As it stands the Villain made the worst play possible when I shoved and called with 84o!

Please tell me where this game is... lol
  • TheGameKatTheGameKat Posts: 3,393 -
    TheGameKat wrote: »
    I'm personally less inclined to take these pressuring lines against bad players, because if they're bad they're typically less predictable.

I think we can agree that as long as I don't fold I'm in +EV territory here. I'll have to go home after work and run some other lines. It's really hard to say what this Villian would do on the River with his air hands, but I have to call all bets even if I don't improve.

As it stands the Villain made the worst play possible when I shoved and called with 84o! When he calls with that he has got to be calling his whole range. Very unpredictable.

That is sufficiently bizarre I'd suspect a misclick or misread.
    Moderation In Moderation
  • LeChiffreLeChiffre NetherlandsRed Chipper Posts: 641 ✭✭✭
    edited October 2019
    Pot: 14BB

Flop: :Jh:3h:2c

Action: Hero bets 10BB, Villain Calls 10BB

Feel like this is a sizing mistake. You've already established that villain has a crap load of crap in his range, with TONS of misses on a board like this. You also don't/shouldn't care about balancing your sizings as to not give away anything about your hand strength. e.g. you could bet QQ+/AJ with this sizing (or larger) but with your bluffs you can easily kick it down a notch. I'd bet something like 6 or 7 BB here (also to be able to defend to a raise more easily which given the player type is not unexpected).

I think I'd rather just check-call my equity on the turn. You might just be (far) ahead already given player type and you have anywhere between 3 and 10 outs.
  • ulysses27ulysses27 Red Chipper Posts: 90 ✭✭
    I've come across this type of player a lot on BETonline. They just seem to be there to gamble. It's more like blackjack to them then poker. The one commonality I've seen is that they are always willing to play for stacks if they hit any part of the board. I'm usually wary of them as I could see this guy playing 23s and happily calling your shove. This is just a question but I wondered about the strategy of cbetting the flop. Were you trying to rep jacks or better on a dry static board? I also wondered about bluffing with AKo. I guess it has equity if he doesn't hit any part of the board but with this type of player who knows. I'm just learning so these really are questions and not suggestions.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file