Same board texture twice

ulysses27ulysses27 Red Chipper Posts: 90 ✭✭
So I played a hand against the same V with the almost exact same board texture. I wasn't sure how to play it the second time and so I thought I'd see what people thought. The first time I was in SB and V was in BB and the board was :As:9d:Ah and I had :9c:8c . We ended up going to showdown and he had :Ac:5h . Then on the next hand this is what happened:
10nl

Hero 180 bb in the BB
V1 has about 110 bb in UTG
V2 has about 75 bb in the CO

I have :8c:8h

(UTG can be very aggressive and definitely will bluff. I have about 1500 hands with this opponent. I would label him as a LAG. He's a decent player but makes mistakes. I had little to no experience with CO)

UTG bets 3.5bb, CO calls and Hero calls - so pot is 10.5 bb

The flop is :As:4d:Ah

Hero checks (my thinking is that I had some equity but with the ranges that I'm up against there could be some A out there and also some better pairs. Honestly I have a hard time with middle pairs. I had thought of 3 betting but because V1 is aggressive I felt I would get a call and so I flatted. I could've bet the flop but I wanted to get a sense of the equity that I had and checking made the most sense. Acting first put me in a bit of a tough spot.

V1 bets 7bb, V2 folds and hero calls. (honestly this could've been a fold because of the previous hand and V1 position. My assumption is that his range was pretty strong. I called because if he was bluffing then he might give it up on the next street. This often happens at this level. People give a stab and then give up.)

Pot is 24.5 bb

The turn is :3c

V1 bets 20bb

Hero?

I'd love to hear some feedback on how to play this hand more effectively. Also, should I have even taken into account the hand before. Thanks for any feedback.

Comments

• TheGameKatTheGameKat Posts: 3,393 -
    ulysses27 wrote: »

Hero checks (my thinking is that I had some equity but with the ranges that I'm up against there could be some A out there and also some better pairs. Honestly I have a hard time with middle pairs. I had thought of 3 betting but because V1 is aggressive I felt I would get a call and so I flatted. I could've bet the flop but I wanted to get a sense of the equity that I had and checking made the most sense. Acting first put me in a bit of a tough spot.

Did checking achieve your goal of getting a sense of how much equity you had?

Not saying a check is wrong, I just think you need to be sure why you're doing it. I think a case can be made for a small lead here.

As played I think calling one bet is okay, particularly given that you describe the player pool as one and done with c-bets when they miss.
    Moderation In Moderation
  • ulysses27ulysses27 Red Chipper Posts: 90 ✭✭
    edited October 2019

Did checking achieve your goal of getting a sense of how much equity you had?

Not saying a check is wrong, I just think you need to be sure why you're doing it. I think a case can be made for a small lead here..

That's a good point. I have to keep on reminding myself of the reasons to bet. I don't think it achieved what I had hoped. It just opened up the door for him to possibly bluff.
  • Doogal_DDoogal_D Red Chipper Posts: 11 ✭✭
    edited October 2019
    Not sure if this is what @TheGameKat meant, but I was thinking an underbet would be great in this spot. It could look like a little trap to get some value from Villain(s). So unless they've got a strong pair or an A, it would give them pause before trying a bluff in fear of you coming over the top, or calling and roping them along (it's a rainbow board).
    Doogal_D wrote: »
    Not sure if this is what @TheGameKat meant, but I was thinking an underbet would be great in this spot. It could look like a little trap to get some value from Villain(s). So unless they've got a strong pair or an A, it would give them pause before trying a bluff in fear of you coming over the top, or calling and roping them along (it's a rainbow board).

Right plus we may have the best hand, but it has rather a lot of overcards to worry about.
    Moderation In Moderation
  • ulysses27ulysses27 Red Chipper Posts: 90 ✭✭
    So does this line make sense, small bet maybe 1/3 pot on the flop and if he calls then we're probably ahead and then keep barreling with underbets but if he raises he most likely has the A and then let it go. Would that be a better line?
    I'm not three-barreling here. A small second barrel on the turn might be okay, but it might just be a give up after the flop bet depending on the turn card.
    Moderation In Moderation
  • kenaceskenaces Red Chipper Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭✭
    Donk for info/protection(??) seems bad IMO.
  • obliviusoblivius San FranciscoRed Chipper Posts: 108 ✭✭
    After the flop call V barrels Turn pretty big. Unless he's super spewy this is a fold in a vacuum...The board is dry as hell. What are you calling the turn with except either another ace OR exactly what you have? (or 44) . It's of course possible to take different lines if you have solid history, last hand not withstanding. The donk flop line IMO no bueno vs 2 plrs.
  • March422March422 Red Chipper Posts: 34 ✭✭
    I think if you call the turn it looks pretty strong and most Vs will have a hard time bluffing the river. Other than Ax 88 is one of the best hands you get to this turn with so check folding to me seems exploitable. If you check call the turn with your entire continuing range it should protect you from getting bluffed on the river and you can just check fold.

If you had A7s for example would you raise or just call? I think you can just call with this type hand bc you dont expect to get called by worse and your hand doesnt require protection given the board. There are some hands I think in his range 22 55 66 77 that we are ahead of and who knows he could have been studying this spot and realized hey i can just always bluff here and people will constantly fold pocket pairs and only continue with Ax.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file