Gutshot against LAG

theagent77theagent77 Red Chipper Posts: 32 ✭✭
Hello guys.

Early stage of MTT. Number of hands played so far at this table: about 20.

I have a super tight image, haven't played a hand. I don't know if micro stakes players have HUDs, so I can't be 100% sure other players are aware of my image.

Villain is a 38/31.

Let me know how would you play this hand.

[converted_hand][hand_history]PokerStars - 25/50 Ante 6 NL - Holdem - 8 players
Hand converted by Holdem Manager 3

BTN: 7,988 (159.8 bb)
SB: 2,944 (58.9 bb)
BB: 2,974 (59.5 bb)
UTG: 3,721 (74.4 bb)
UTG+1: 6,052 (121 bb)
MP: 2,102 (42 bb)
Hero (MP+1): 2,361 (47.2 bb)
CO: 2,184 (43.7 bb)

8 players post ante of 6, SB posts 25, BB posts 50

Pre Flop: (pot: 123) Hero has :9C::9H:
fold, UTG+1 raises to 125, fold, Hero calls 125, fold, BTN raises to 400, 2 folds, UTG+1 calls 275, Hero calls 275

Flop: (1,323, 3 players) :8S::6D::TH:
UTG+1 checks, Hero checks, BTN bets 600, fold,

Hero raises to 1,955 and is all-in, BTN calls 1,355

Turn: (5,233, 2 players) :3C:

River: (5,233, 2 players) :3D:
Results: 5,233 pot (0 rake)
Final Board: :8S::6D::TH::3C::3D:

Hero shows :9C::9H:(Two Pair, Nines and Threes)
(Pre 56%, Flop 76%, Turn 86%)

BTN shows :AS::JD:(One Pair, Threes)
(Pre 44%, Flop 24%, Turn 14%)

Hero wins 5,233
[/hand_history][/converted_hand]

Comments

• TheGameKatTheGameKat Posts: 3,656 -
    Genuinely tricky spot IMO. I think given the crazy PFR of BTN and the fact UTG+1 raise-called rather than raise-3bet, you can make a case pre for shoving. The alternative is playing 99 monkey in the middle with a SPR around 1.5.

As played, if BTN has shown wildness post, you're probably committed with such a low SPR.
    Moderation In Moderation
  • theagent77theagent77 Red Chipper Posts: 32 ✭✭
    Yes, given his 1/2 pot cbet threeway and his wild stats I thought he wanted us to fold. In that case, I hoped he would muck his overcards after my shove.
    When Villain snap called me I said oh I'm f***ed, but I saw he had AJo.
    Is this shove a profitable move against such a maniac? A better choice would have been folding my pocket nines preflop I think, but still I thought I was playing against a maniac. I think I haven't the guts to 4bet-jam with 99 for 40BB...
  • TheGameKatTheGameKat Posts: 3,656 -
    edited October 2019
    theagent77 wrote: »
    Yes, given his 1/2 pot cbet threeway and his wild stats I thought he wanted us to fold. In that case, I hoped he would muck his overcards after my shove.
    When Villain snap called me I said oh I'm f***ed, but I saw he had AJo.
    Is this shove a profitable move against such a maniac? A better choice would have been folding my pocket nines preflop I think, but still I thought I was playing against a maniac. I think I haven't the guts to 4bet-jam with 99 for 40BB...

It's certainly not the default line, but let's look at the specifics of this scenario. You flat an EP open and the action gets to a hyper-aggro player on the button. Many decent tournament players will think about squeezing light on the button, but for this player type it's almost mandatory to put on the squeeze with a wide range. The action gets back to UTG+1. Unless this player is terrible, they should be vaguely aware that light button squeezes are a thing, and that BTN has been raising a lot. I'd suggest a timid player would jam at least QQ+ here and a more attentive one would be getting it in with something like TT+,AK. (Note UTG+1's stats would be helpful in addressing this.) And yet they just call. So you have 99 against a wide button range and a capped UTG+1 range. 99 now looks like a pretty big hand IMO and there are a lot of chips in the pot. With all that considered a shove looks like it might be the best plan, particularly given the alternatives.
    Moderation In Moderation

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file