Hand from ivanle90

TheGameKatTheGameKat Posts: 2,855 -
edited October 2019 in Live Poker Hands
@ivanle90 - I moved this post of yours from the "Welcome" thread.

This hand happened in a 1/2 cash game. UG+1 open rises to $10. He is a new guy and ( I don’t have much info about him)he has a $500 stack. I am in the CO with $620 stack I 3 bet to $25 my hand is AKs. He 4 bet to $75. Was my 3 bet too small? I called the 4 bet. Should I’ve had shove instead of calling the 4 bet? What about fold? We go heads up. The flop comes A 2 Q rainbow. He leads $80. I shove $425 effective. Should I have fold in this spot? He flop set of Q. And I lose.
Moderation In Moderation

Comments

• TheGameKatTheGameKat Posts: 2,855 -
    What was the purpose of shoving the flop?
    Moderation In Moderation
  • theagent77theagent77 Red Chipper Posts: 32 ✭✭
    edited October 2019
    such shoves on the flop often occur when players get too nervous with their top pair. I expect any villain to call the shove only with a hand that beats us
  • jeffncjeffnc Red Chipper Posts: 4,903 ✭✭✭✭✭
    TheGameKat wrote: »
    Was my 3 bet too small?

Well that depends. What were you trying to accomplish with it? Are you expecting players to fold QQ?
    TheGameKat wrote: »
    I called the 4 bet. Should I’ve had shove instead of calling the 4 bet? What about fold? We go heads up. The flop comes A 2 Q rainbow. He leads $80. I shove $425 effective. Should I have fold in this spot? He flop set of Q. And I lose.

As a general rule of thumb, when a 1/2 player 4-bets, it is QQ+. And usually KK+. Also, 250 BB effective stacks is considered deep stack play, and another general rule of thumb is that you don't want to go broke with one pair at this depth. In this particular situation, your opponent has AK as a minimum, so you can't really make money. But you can lose money. It's extremely unlikely you can get him off his hand on the flop if he has AK, because any player that 4-bets AK and then hits it is not going to fold. And if he has a hand like KK, then he is going to fold, so again, you can't make money. I suppose there's an outside chance he could also have AQ here, in which case obviously he's not folding. AA and QQ are the other mostly likely hands. So let's give him a range of AQs, AK, AA, KK, QQ.

I plugged this range into a hand calculator, and surprisingly you have 45% equity here. However this is due to the relatively high probability (due to combinatorics) that your opponent has KK or AK, and he's folding KK on the flop. You can't make money on AK, so you're mostly shoveling in chips bad here.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file