Did I let myself get caught in a hand that I shouldn't have?

AzygousWolfAzygousWolf Red Chipper Posts: 13 ✭✭
1/2 No hold em 50BB table.

I had been on the table for 4 hours and built my stack from my $100 to a comfortable $367, I have established a solid TAG image which has allowed me to steal 1 to 3 pots per orbit pre-flop for the last couple of orbits

Super Loose Villian sitting two to my right.

Villian has played almost every hand for the past two hours (and downed 7 rum and cokes in that time),with a consistent bet to $7 regardless of position or other players actions short of a bet. Villian has also rebought 4 times in the last 3 hours, and by the sounds of conversation at the table, at least 2 or 3 rebuys before I arrived. Villian has spent most of the last two hours miss announcing his showdown hands, and asking the dealer if he won. Villian has just taken down a $300 pot, we are close to even stacked

Ok so Villian Under the gun bets $7, I look down at AK Spades, I raise $35, fold to Villian who calls, flop comes 3S 5D 2S. Villian reaches for chips and says "I bet that much" as he fumbles chips into the center, I get the dealer to count it, the bet is $82. I consider the fact that the chances of him hitting the flop are slim, as well as my outs, and push all in, he calls. I have him covered by $7

Turn lands 4c I hit the straight with outs to improve to the flush, river lands 7c.

He turns over his cards showing 4d 6h for the 7 high straight and says "what did I have?"

Obviously I'm not thrilled with the outcome, collect my $7 change, and my session is done.

So here's my question, did I let myself get caught in a hand I should have gotten away from post flop given Villians history at the table and post flop bet size?

Is there a better way to play this? Or do I chalk this up to a bad beat?

Comments

• TheGameKatTheGameKat Posts: 2,633 -
    It's not really a bad beat, in the sense when the chips went in you had A-hi. I think the line is probably okay, although given the huge flop lead you probably have zero fold equity. One way of addressing it is giving him a donking range here and checking your equity. If he only does this with sets and better, you can fold, although that sounds unlikely given your description. Might boil down to how often against his range A and 4 are outs for you.
    Moderation In Moderation
  • In The DarkIn The Dark Red Chipper Posts: 216 ✭✭
    Clearly zero fold equity but ... shoving is never very wrong in the worst and positive vs many Vs.
  • persuadeopersuadeo Red Chipper, Table Captain Posts: 4,167 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • jeffncjeffnc Red Chipper Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2
    IME when someone is asking the dealer if he won, and normally bets $7 but now shovels in "this much", I never buy it no matter how much he's been drinking.

For all practical purposes, he shoves and you call which means you're getting much closer to 1:1 odds than the 2:1 you'd like. Personally I'd fold, but you're never in awful shape with the nut flush draw and your straight outs might be good. Usually this is 2 pr +.

I'm also wondering why you left. Your post sounds like you're trying not to sound annoyed with the guy but you were actually really annoyed.

He's a losing player, but his game is centered around goading you into losing big pots which he's set up through crazy play. The kick of winning a couple big ones like this outweighs his overall losses, for him.
  • AzygousWolfAzygousWolf Red Chipper Posts: 13 ✭✭
    jeffnc wrote: »
    IME when someone is asking the dealer if he won, and normally bets $7 but now shovels in "this much", I never buy it no matter how much he's been drinking.

For all practical purposes, he shoves and you call which means you're getting much closer to 1:1 odds than the 2:1 you'd like. Personally I'd fold, but you're never in awful shape with the nut flush draw and your straight outs might be good. Usually this is 2 pr +.

I'm also wondering why you left. Your post sounds like you're trying not to sound annoyed with the guy but you were actually really annoyed.

He's a losing player, but his game is centered around goading you into losing big pots which he's set up through crazy play. The kick of winning a couple big ones like this outweighs his overall losses, for him.

I left because I was out of money.
    It's unfortunate you could only afford 1 buyin at that table. Hopefully you will be able to increase your bankroll so you can take the ups and downs with these players.
  • AzygousWolfAzygousWolf Red Chipper Posts: 13 ✭✭
    jeffnc wrote: »
    It's unfortunate you could only afford 1 buyin at that table. Hopefully you will be able to increase your bankroll so you can take the ups and downs with these players.

That's part of my aim at the moment, so I can absorb losses without it being a session ending issue
  • SullySully Red Chipper Posts: 777 ✭✭✭
    I would like to add a couple of quick thoughts;

1. Ever thinking that it is difficult for this type of player to hit a flop is misreading the whale. They can hit any flop and will definitely hit low flops better than you, it's what they live for

2. There is ZERO FE in almost 100% of the situations they have put money in

Thus playing big pots with a drawing hand isn't my favorite route

Thin value betting mercilessly is the path to whale hunting IMO
    That's part of my aim at the moment, so I can absorb losses without it being a session ending issue

It seems to me it could affect how you play certain hands as well. Or at least it would affect a lot of people.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file