River Sizing mistake? 6max 5NL

Justin MJustin M Red Chipper Posts: 105 ✭✭
Villain 1 had been pretty active. He was 46/22, and literally always bet when checked to (usually 1/2 pot, but sometimes 2/3). I've won some nice sized pots from him just by checking my strong hands and letting him put money into the pot. He was also opening way too wide from EP, with some pretty junky hands (62ep open).

Villain 2 was 33/22, haven't seen him do too much out of line. Seemed pretty straight forward post flop. I don't think I'd been involved in any/too many big hands with him.

I think my call from the SB here was a little loose, but I was thinking I wanted to play a multiway pot with a suited ace, especially with V1 who was going to make hugely bloated pots. I was just planning on c/f any flop where I totally missed. On the flop I wasn't prepared to fold TP against V1, but I wasn't planning on sticking around after the turn unless I picked up well. OTT I picked up my BDFD and was getting great odds to continue, especially considering I was pretty sure V1 was going to bet any river.

Table Info: Version: 1, Type: MVS, Stakes: $0.02-$0.05, Table: 000719B0-0
Seat 1: Big Blind ($4.92 in chips)
Seat 2: UTG ($9.54 in chips)
Seat 4: UTG+1 ($5.49 in chips)
Seat 5: Dealer ($3.46 in chips)
Seat 6: Small Blind [ME] ($13.54 in chips)
Dealer : Set dealer [5]

Small Blind [ME] : Small Blind $0.02
Big Blind : Big Blind $0.05
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Small Blind [ME] : Card dealt to a spot [6s As]
UTG : Raises $0.15 to $0.15
UTG+1 : Calls $0.15
Dealer : Folds
Small Blind [ME] : Calls $0.13
Big Blind : Folds
*** FLOP *** [Ah 8s 4c]
Small Blind [ME] : Checks
UTG : Bets $0.24
UTG+1 : Calls $0.24
Small Blind [ME] : Calls $0.24
*** TURN *** [Ah 8s 4c] [Ts]
UTG : Bets $0.87
UTG+1 : Calls $0.87
Small Blind [ME] : Calls $0.87
*** RIVER *** [Ah 8s 4c Ts] [5s]
UTG : Bets $1.82
UTG+1 : All-in(raise) $4.23 to $4.23
Small Blind [ME] : Raises $6.64 to $6.64

I think here on the river raising was probably a mistake. As played V1 folded. Once I got to thinking a bit more about it with him behind I think flatting is probably the better option. Since V2's all in is just slightly over a min raise, if I flat here V1 might feel he has good pot odds to call with his pairs (not that I think he was really considering pot odds too much, but he may have felt priced in for a call).

Thoughts?

Comments

• TheGameKatTheGameKat Posts: 2,838 -
    What calling ranges do you assign UTG for the cases of you flatting the end and shoving? Figure that out and it basically solves the problem.
    Moderation In Moderation
  • Justin MJustin M Red Chipper Posts: 105 ✭✭
    TheGameKat wrote: »
    What calling ranges do you assign UTG for the cases of you flatting the end and shoving? Figure that out and it basically solves the problem.

Well to be honest that's one of the parts I'm struggling with. Since UTG takes that line with nearly all of his range, he's showing up exceptionally wide on rivers, so he is usually going to be weak. However I do think by flatting he may feel priced in to call with something like TP, some PP below. I think if he'd actually had a hand like 2p+ he would have been going a bit harder to try to push out the draws.
  • TheGameKatTheGameKat Posts: 2,838 -
    If you feel he's capped at TP and will call when you flat but not when you jam, problem solved. The counter-argument, which is weak, is that your flush came backdoor, so UTG is probably having trouble ranging you if they're even thinking on that level.
    Moderation In Moderation

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file