Using flopzilla/Equilab for equity intuition

Jake061992Jake061992 Red Chipper Posts: 9 ✭✭
So finally decided to believe the whole poker industry and start to build an intuition through using software for equity calculations however ..... has anybody got some advice or a study plan for this kind of study , just plugging random flops and random ranges/hands isn’t going to cut it , how do I work specific spots/flops etc that will actually help me remember and be able to use in games , because at the minute it’s all just random and I’m not sure how just randomly doing it isn’t going to help any advice will be massively appreciated as I feel as though I’m never gunna understand this and it seems this is the most important thing to learn , sorry for the long post

Comments

• TheGameKatTheGameKat Posts: 2,633 -
    Could you maybe break down that sentence into more digestible chunks? I'm not sure what you're asking.
    Moderation In Moderation
  • LeChiffreLeChiffre NetherlandsRed Chipper Posts: 542 ✭✭✭
    It's best use as a tool while reviewing hand histories.
  • persuadeopersuadeo Red Chipper, Table Captain Posts: 4,167 ✭✭✭✭✭
    When I teach privates, the second homework is dealing with six representative flops in certain formation, and compelling students to go through them with many pages of detail and research - one student did forty pages of analysis. This work, the real study of poker that everyone talks about but few do, invariably helps develop a number of skills that are then transferable to every other situation. You can replicate this process your way and get away from just random equity memorization.
  • Jake061992Jake061992 Red Chipper Posts: 9 ✭✭
    TheGameKat wrote: »
    Could you maybe break down that sentence into more digestible chunks? I'm not sure what you're asking.

So for instance using Equilab tonight I had a range for myself on the button of 36% and put a range in for the mp of 18% and just put in some random flops to see what equity it gives me , but I feel as though I am
    Never going to remember what equity I have on a K 10 6 board with my range because there seems to be no direction I’m taking this information , how can I ever remember every range to flop to be able to sit there in a spot and realise my equity

LeChiffre wrote: »
    It's best use as a tool while reviewing hand histories.

Thankyou for this advice I will do this 👍

persuadeo wrote: »
    When I teach privates, the second homework is dealing with six representative flops in certain formation, and compelling students to go through them with many pages of detail and research - one student did forty pages of analysis. This work, the real study of poker that everyone talks about but few do, invariably helps develop a number of skills that are then transferable to every other situation. You can replicate this process your way and get away from just random equity memorization.

Thanks for the reply , this is my problem I have no focus to categorise different flops ranges etc I obviously don’t want free coaching here as that is massively disrespectful to you as a professional but could you give me just one example of how to initially set up a study session like this so I can say to myself these certain flops are good/bad for my range here is how my opponent hits them without all the numbers essentially just being number on a screen ?
  • persuadeopersuadeo Red Chipper, Table Captain Posts: 4,167 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pick a formation, say BU vs BB, 3x open, 150 bbs effective.

Identify/propose some ranges for each, based on logic and/or various ranges suggested by others.

Look at a short sequence of flops, from very static to very dynamic, and study the interactions of the ranges. Note equity advantage (primitive range advantage) and nut hand advantage. Who has more made hands, who more draws, etc.

From there, propose what each will do to try to win, going as deeply as you can.
  • TheGameKatTheGameKat Posts: 2,633 -

Identify/propose some ranges for each, based on logic and/or various ranges suggested by others.

Look at a short sequence of flops, from very static to very dynamic, and study the interactions of the ranges. Note equity advantage (primitive range advantage) and nut hand advantage. Who has more made hands, who more draws, etc.

From there, propose what each will do to try to win, going as deeply as you can.

This is an incredibly useful guiding principle that prevents a lot of useless button clicking.
    Moderation In Moderation
  • Jake061992Jake061992 Red Chipper Posts: 9 ✭✭
    TheGameKat wrote: »

This is an incredibly useful guiding principle that prevents a lot of useless button clicking.

Absolutely brilliant Thankyou very much as said a great guide to eliminate my useless button clicking thanks again

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file