When is the right time for coaching

ulysses27ulysses27 Red Chipper Posts: 34 ✭✭
I've been playing seriously for about 7-8 months and have been working my way through core. I play mostly 10nl and some 1/3. I've learned a lot but have lots of questions and feel very confused at times with implementing concepts. Which made me think about coaching. Just wondered if it's too soon and I should just keep working through core (maybe a couple times), read books etc. Or is it worth the investment even this early in my development. My goal is to become a rec player at a very high level. I'm not really trying to go pro.

Comments

• TheGameKatTheGameKat Posts: 2,633 -
    ulysses27 wrote: »
    I've been playing seriously for about 7-8 months and have been working my way through core. I play mostly 10nl and some 1/3. I've learned a lot but have lots of questions and feel very confused at times with implementing concepts. Which made me think about coaching. Just wondered if it's too soon and I should just keep working through core (maybe a couple times), read books etc. Or is it worth the investment even this early in my development. My goal is to become a rec player at a very high level. I'm not really trying to go pro.

At your current stage a couple of hours of leak finding might be useful (if you have an online database), but recognize that coaching is expensive. If you're playing 10NL, it may take months for it to pay for itself. But assuming you get a competent coach, at some point it will.
    Moderation In Moderation
  • RussRuss Red Chipper Posts: 106 ✭✭

I jumped on a coaching opportunity when a coach here advertised some reduced rates. The best part of the coaching, for me, was it gave me an overall game plan. The CORE program (and other resources) is great and gave me parts to study and practice, but the coaching pulled it all together for me.

I was playing 10nl and 1/3, and my goal was to move up in stakes to where the money was more significant. I accomplished that, and at 2/5 and (very rarely) 5/10, the amount I spent on coaching was a very reasonable investment.

I don't play a lot any more as my interests have taken me elsewhere, but the 6 lessons and a 7th follow up later on really pushed me and improved my game. The trick is to find a good coach that fits your learning style and goals, and then understand the concepts and make them your own within your own game.

If you're thinking about coaching, I'll bet you're ready.
  • ulysses27ulysses27 Red Chipper Posts: 34 ✭✭
    The trick is to find a good coach that fits your learning style and goals, and then understand the concepts and make them your own within your own game.

If you're thinking about coaching, I'll bet you're ready. [/quote]

Thanks. That's very helpful. Any tips on finding a coach that matches your paying style and goals.
    edited November 9

Thanks. That's very helpful. Any tips on finding a coach that matches your paying style and goals.

This might win the Freudian Slip Of The Year Award.

A lot of coaches will provide a free consultation interview. I'd try that and see if you click. It's really akin to finding a good relationship between analyst and analysand.
    Moderation In Moderation
  • EurocratEurocrat Red Chipper Posts: 35 ✭✭
    I find myself in a very similar spot actually - I'm playing NL10, NL16 and just had my first session of NL25 - my midterm plan is to build a bankroll to play some live cash game. I've been hesitant to consult a coach as well, mainly because I do not have that much time I can invest in studying and playing - I would say roughly I invest 45-60 minutes per day (on both studying and playing).

I did core as well and read a couple of books and some more free resources - I'm now working with "purposeful practice for poker" by Patricia Gardner and Gareth James, which I found to be an incredible useful book and really helped me guide my studying efforts for now; maybe that might be something you would want to check out as well.

Best
  • persuadeopersuadeo Red Chipper, Table Captain Posts: 4,167 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @TheGameKat surely there is an article in the now endless archive here on finding and picking a poker coach, no?
    persuadeo wrote: »
    @TheGameKat surely there is an article in the now endless archive here on finding and picking a poker coach, no?

Yeah there is, let me track it down.
    Moderation In Moderation
    Thanks @persuadeo we have a podcast on the topic:

https://redchippoker.com/need-poker-coach-podcast/
    Moderation In Moderation
    TheGameKat wrote: »
    Thanks @persuadeo we have a podcast on the topic:

https://redchippoker.com/need-poker-coach-podcast/

Thanks for this resource and all the other info as well.
    Welcome.
    Moderation In Moderation
  • Angelo PerezAngelo Perez Red Chipper Posts: 37 ✭✭
    I've read alot of book (13) I've watch countless hours of videos. Played who knows how many hours of poker. I've done so so much and have won a good amount of money but yet still feel lost and dont know what to learn next....
  • persuadeopersuadeo Red Chipper, Table Captain Posts: 4,167 ✭✭✭✭✭
    https://persuadeo.nl/the-poker-zoo-ep-16-persuadeo/

In this episode of the Poker Zoo, I answer some questions as to how to learn poker that are relevant here.
    persuadeo wrote: »
    https://persuadeo.nl/the-poker-zoo-ep-16-persuadeo/

In this episode of the Poker Zoo, I answer some questions as to how to learn poker that are relevant here.

I enjoyed this podcast. It was very helpful.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file