What comes first?

Angelo PerezAngelo Perez Red Chipper Posts: 38 ✭✭
Skipping some basic things about poker. What is the first thing you should do after you get your 2 cards. Can we come up with a basic scenario must likely heads up. And talk about what goes into forming a decision at the table. Street by street. Can we talk it all the way thru till we get to showdown?

Comments

• TheGameKatTheGameKat Posts: 3,399 -
    We can certainly do it if you'd like to share a specific hand history. Trying to do so in the abstract is rather ambitious IMO.

But I'll start. Before you get your cards, you know your position, the prior action, and probably something about the players left to act. Thus you should know your range from that position given the prior action, which may or may not be influenced by the nature of your opponents.
    Moderation In Moderation
  • U_TurnU_Turn Las VegasRed Chipper Posts: 51 ✭✭
    TheGameKat wrote: »
    We can certainly do it if you'd like to share a specific hand history. Trying to do so in the abstract is rather ambitious IMO.

But I'll start. Before you get your cards, you know your position, the prior action, and probably something about the players left to act. Thus you should know your range from that position given the prior action, which may or may not be influenced by the nature of your opponents.

Don’t forget stack sizes.
  • jeffncjeffnc Red Chipper Posts: 4,998 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sure, it's possible to come up with that. I know, because they have developed computer AI that has begun to solve it. You can read all about it. Maybe you could go work for one of these teams.

https://singularityhub.com/2019/07/15/the-poker-playing-ai-that-beat-the-worlds-best-players/
  • Angelo PerezAngelo Perez Red Chipper Posts: 38 ✭✭
    Here is the whole hand.
    QUESTION... preflop can I use the EV formula?
    EV=(%w*$w)-(%L*$L)
  • persuadeopersuadeo Red Chipper Posts: 4,296 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Technically, you can. Just write out all the EV possibilities for all the actions of yourself, the SB, the BB, the PFR, including ranges, all bet sizings and all actions on all streets.

In several years, you will have at most a simplification and it will take more characters and lines than it takes to create this webpage and every image on it.

Are we really going to have this conversation everyday?
    Let's just talk about the example i gave and not about every possible thing I can do. It's nice to know that you can do this. But I also want to learn this.

Let's do the hand example!
    Let's assume MP1 raised with a 20% range.
    (%20*4.5)-(%80*3) =-1.5
    No! That's not how you use this formula???
    I'm pretty sure this is wrong...

This is not a spot where I use this formula?
    I use something else...?

• persuadeopersuadeo Red Chipper Posts: 4,296 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2019
    You are confusing the % of hands opened by MP with the Equity of those hands vs the combined equity MP's opponents.

Here's what I suggest you do:

In addition to the Core programming,

read articles from the Pokerbank,

and search through the posts of very strong math players, such as Eazzy, Jeffnc, TheMule, and others you find interesting.

Then you'll have some more useful questions.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file