Having trouble playing AA

King_JackoffKing_Jackoff Red Chipper Posts: 3 ✭✭
Hello,

Doing some analysis on 8500 hands or so and when filtering by my biggest losing hands AA comes up again and again.

Here is a typical spot for me... V playing VPIP 51/ PFR 7/ 3B 0 over 76 hands.

PokerStars - $0.02 NL (6 max) - Holdem - 6 players
Hand converted by PokerTracker 4: http://www.pokertracker.com

CO: $3.06
BTN: $2.60
Hero (SB): $2.78
BB: $2.19
UTG: $2.68
MP: $5.50

Hero posts SB $0.01, BB posts BB $0.02

Pre Flop: (pot: $0.03) Hero has Ah As
fold, MP calls $0.02, fold, fold, Hero raises to $0.06, fold, MP calls $0.04

Flop : ($0.14, 2 players) 9c 6d 4c
Hero bets $0.14, MP calls $0.14

Turn : ($0.42, 2 players) 7h
Hero bets $0.41, MP calls $0.41

River : ($1.24, 2 players) Qc
Hero bets $1.20, MP raises to $4.89 and is all-in, Hero calls $0.97 and is all-in

MP shows 8c Ac (Flush, Ace High)
(Pre 12%, Flop 38%, Turn 34%)

Hero shows Ah As (One Pair, Aces)
(Pre 88%, Flop 62%, Turn 66%)

MP wins $5.38

Is this an obv fold to the push when the flush comes in?

Is it just as simple as trusting that players at these stakes aren't capable of bluffing here?

My PFR should have been to at least 4BB but I don't think that shakes him off his suited ace in this specific hand.

Thanks

Comments

• TheGameKatTheGameKat Posts: 3,838 -
    I suspect if you mash the bet-pot button on all three streets when you're OOP on a board that doesn't favor you, bad things will happen.

This podcast episode may give you some insights:

https://redchippoker.com/the-psychology-of-pocket-aces/
    Moderation In Moderation
  • King_JackoffKing_Jackoff Red Chipper Posts: 3 ✭✭
    I certainly need to pay better attention to my position.

I've been working my way through the podcast backlog, I've queued this one up next. Thanks for the help.
  • AzygousWolfAzygousWolf Red Chipper Posts: 13 ✭✭
    edited November 2019
    So this is from the perspective of an amateur player and my assumptions may be entirely wrong.

That being said, it feels a lot of people play AA wrong, and don't know how to lay them down.

AA is a great preflop hand and that's about it. Sure it will pick up pots where everyone misses, and the odd set is generally bankable and you'll get the rare 4 cards for your ace high flush or straight, but if there is any sort of straight or flush draw on the board, and loose players to call it, you will often have them draw out against you.

You mention that PFB should have been higher, I agree, it may not have pushed him off this hand, but statistically it will push Limpers/Callers off hands long term, and punish those that don't, also if you have the read that he's the type to chase or not fold even when the maths doesn't support the decision, then you need to be super cautious of draw hands, because these players hit them more, just by being in more hands.

Again this is all just my own take on AA
  • EazzyEazzy Red Chipper Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭✭
    Honestly its not that you play aces badly its that you don't play poker well....(but you can improve..)

YOu have to think about your opponent and how he plays..

This guy is a very loose very passive calling station by his stats...
    note the smallish PFR and 3 bet....and the large VP
    I

On the river when you bet pot ish what hands were you expecting him to call lyou with after the flush completed and a broadway over card came....

He a station so he going to call with top pair + probably..
    but with the flush getting there does he call the river with 2nd pair say k9o
    does he have a lot of Q's that got to the rive thats not 2 pair...

So your pot size bet probably folds out everything you beat...and nothing that beats you

And once he raises....he's passive he can see the 3 fluh....do lkyou really think he turnes his mist striaght draw into a bluff...

You have to start reviewing hands....deciding what hands will call you bet and what hands fold to your bet. size..... This is needed when thinking about bluffs and value bets..

Oh and hint...filter those hands where you got raised on the turn or river....I'd bet that if you called with one pair hands...you were loosing money...

• TiagoAlexTiagoAlex Red Chipper Posts: 2 ✭✭
    Hello here goes my opinion

1. The villain is a passive player so we have to watch his raises (when a passive raiser is a sign of a strong hand)

2. With AA preflop what you should have done was a 5bb iso raise because you are OOP to start already injecting money into the pot with the preflop nuts.

3. This flop is low card, type 2 and dynamic makes it dangerous so we should be careful.

4. Turn 7 completes some draws so you could have reduced the bet size to 1/2 pot bet for pot control. It would have to have been a brick like a 2 to continue with all this aggressiveness.

5. Your river bet has little chance of success, the question is which hand worse than yours will call on a low card and flush board. You should have checked.

6. The call of the river raise also has little chance of success. The river raise line is very strong, then it is made by a passive play which makes it even stronger and the board is flush (taking into account that it raises on a flush board) just add 3 signals that his bet is the nuts. Finally he limped which means his range contains a lot of flush draws.

Final Consideration
    I think you got too involved with AA, you have to learn when you can give them up. Some important variables like board texture and type of player.

A hug

• Mr_Big_StackMr_Big_Stack Over The RoadRed Chipper Posts: 33 ✭✭
    OP that's an (ahem) unusual screen name. Hard to believe that someone else uses it on Global. IDK if you can filter your database by the times you've had TP. But I do know that one of my notes for that name on Global is - over plays TP.

Villain's raise OTR screams "I can beat a pair".
  • RedRed Red Chipper Posts: 2,396 ✭✭✭✭
    It's not a problem of badly playing a specific hand / AA.
    It's a wider problem of not understanding what is happening in the hand - how the action twist your and Villain's range.
  • TheGameKatTheGameKat Posts: 3,838 -
    Red wrote: »
    It's not a problem of badly playing a specific hand / AA.
    It's a wider problem of not understanding what is happening in the hand - how the action twist your and Villain's range.

Good point @Red

And welcome back
    Moderation In Moderation

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file