Checking Results/Stop Losses

MrBalzterMrBalzter Red Chipper Posts: 49 ✭✭
Generally checking your bankroll or results during a session is frowned upon. I often find myself checking results during a session in my tracking software during loosing sessions.
My thought is that by checking the results I can stop after losing 3-5 Buy ins.

How do people generally use stop losses?
Tagged:

Comments

• TheGameKatTheGameKat Posts: 2,727 -
    Live I discovered I could, and often did, dig out from being stuck 2 buy-ins. By which I mean actually getting unstuck or ending up significantly above the low point. Once I hit a 3 buy-in loss I have apparently crossed the pain threshold and nothing good ever happens.
    Moderation In Moderation
  • blindraiseblindraise Red Chipper Posts: 235 ✭✭
    MrBalzter wrote: »

I dont. I take breaks every hour or so and evaluate not my results, but my mental fortitude. If I feel healthy mentally I keep playing, if I feel even the slightest bit of tilt I dont sit back down until im back to how I felt at the beginning of the session. Sometimes I come back and rack-up, people sometimes are shocked ("he was doing so good tonights his night whys he leaving?" or "he still had $200 on the table, he shouldve gambled, thats how I make my losses back" etc.). Fuck it. Let them think what they wish.

Ending a session is not about results or cutting losses, its about mental state.
  • TheGameKatTheGameKat Posts: 2,727 -
    blindraise wrote: »
    MrBalzter wrote: »

I dont. I take breaks every hour or so and evaluate not my results, but my mental fortitude. If I feel healthy mentally I keep playing, if I feel even the slightest bit of tilt I dont sit back down until im back to how I felt at the beginning of the session. Sometimes I come back and rack-up, people sometimes are shocked ("he was doing so good tonights his night whys he leaving?" or "he still had $200 on the table, he shouldve gambled, thats how I make my losses back" etc.). Fuck it. Let them think what they wish.

Ending a session is not about results or cutting losses, its about mental state.

I agree in principle, but I also have two ex-wives.
    Moderation In Moderation
  • CloutierCloutier Jacksonville, FloridaRed Chipper Posts: 21 ✭✭
    edited November 30
    I've noticed similar results (in my fairly limited experience). I can be stuck a couple buy-ins, walk out to the car and reality check myself...
    are you still capable of playing tonight? (tilted?)
    Do you need to switch tables?/are those players just better than you?
    What's the plan now/Did you have a plan when you showed up tonight?
    For me a lot of this stuff relates to how well I slept the night before. If I'm down a buy-in or two and groggy, there's no way I'm going back in. Not successfully anyway.
    I've managed to pull myself back up after being down a couple buy-ins. In fact, some of those nights were my very best nights. One of them, I was down 2 buy-ins and left with + 5 buy-ins.
    However, most of that was due to a very lucky nut flush in a 3-way all in.
    I think the big thing is patience. Sleep helps that as well.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file