Help Analyze My Session

GabeThePlumberGabeThePlumber Red Chipper Posts: 19 ✭✭
I played in a Gtn $200 and came in 11th. This is after I completed the First phase of CORE. I need help analyzing myself. If you see that I am missing certain statistics, then tell me. I play at Global where tracking softwares are not allowed. I recorded my tournament, then went back and got these statistics. Any input is appreciated.

86 Hands Dealt
30 Played (34%)
15 Won (50%)
15 Loss (50%)

Win-20%Pre, 53%Post, 0%Turn, 0%River, 26%Headsup
Loss-6%Pre, 20%Post, 13%Turn, 46%River, 13%Headsup

Fold. Check. Call. Open-Raise. 3B. 4B. All-In
Pre. 59%. 6%. 17%. 5%. 0. 0. 2%
Post. 5%. 8%. 0. 10%. 0. 0. 3%
Turn. 3%. 1%. 0. 2%. 0. 0. 0.
River. 5%. 1%. 0. 1%. 0. 0. 0.
Heads up 0. 0. 2%. 0. 0. 0. 0.

Comments

• persuadeopersuadeo Red Chipper, Table Captain Posts: 4,202 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • TheGameKatTheGameKat Posts: 2,727 -
    It's pretty much impossible to say anything from these numbers other than your VPIP may be high and your PFR too low. (Or more accurately perhaps, the gap between is way too big.) How about posting some HHs?
    Moderation In Moderation
  • GabeThePlumberGabeThePlumber Red Chipper Posts: 19 ✭✭
    persuadeo wrote: »
    Send me your recording and i'll look at it.

I'll get it to you.
    TheGameKat wrote: »
    It's pretty much impossible to say anything from these numbers other than your VPIP may be high and your PFR too low. (Or more accurately perhaps, the gap between is way too big.) How about posting some HHs?

I do not know what your abbreviations mean. Please explain. TY
    VPIP = voluntarily put $ in pot
    PFR = preflop raise

Essentially it looks like you're calling a lot pre, which typically isn't going to be the best idea, although it's conceivable there are a lot of reasonable big blind defenses in there if you're facing small opens.

But persuadeo's kind offer will uncover that.
    Moderation In Moderation

Here it is. The final 6 minutes or so were not captured. I was the SS, SB, had AT, shoved, and got called by AJ. Jack hit on the turn. I came in 11th.
    Alright, I watched about the first 20 min or so. Someone else can look at the rest.

q10o lc, lead pot into 3 people with TPMK is not good. It's inefficient and note how how every action you took led you to get more involved with a weak hand, losing 1/3 of your stack, and never seeing showdown.
    qjo overlimp from CO is another play you make which put in dead money overall. I realize it gave you all the chips, and you got the opportunity because your opponents played even worse, so there is some justification for seeing flops with them.
    J9cc from the BB you again lead for pot with TPMK. This is a slightly better lead because the open limper may have a weak range and you have some backdoors going on - but note how the two limps in the QJ hand were AA and AQ - but not a good one, and certainly not a good sizing. These pot sized bets are going to destroy your tournament life while denying you value versus many of the weaker hands than can float.
    j8s open limp from CO is pointless. When you limp you are making a wager that the EV of your spot can account for the random hands in the blinds and most potential action behind you, and that isn't 1) necessary to do and 2) not true of this hand.
    You finally find an open raise with A4s from UTG, to 3x. This is too big. There are no antes, and now you lose whatever excess in sizing you put in vs a jam, which most of these stacks are incentivized to do. Given that you open limp your other hands, i suppose you have some protection by playing this way, meaning you are unlikely to be raised. Further, even if you are planning on not calling off a jam, now you lose a little more unnecessarily anyway.
    Thank you for your time and input. It is greatly appreciated. What does TPMK mean? I didn’t improve my skills as the game went on, so just watching the first 20 is probably good enough!
    q10o lc, lead pot into 3 people with TPMK is not good. It's inefficient and note how how every action you took led you to get more involved with a weak hand, losing 1/3 of your stack, and never seeing showdown.

What should I have done differently here?
    Hand is at the 7 minute mark if you want to watch it again.
    Quite a bit, but I've got the ball rolling and some other posters can/will answer your question.
    Thanks @GabeThePlumber for posting this and @persuadeo for providing feedback. I'd like to see more of this sort of thing, since it's a great basis for discussion. It's also helpful with tournaments to see the whole thing sometimes, since it provides context.

The main context here, for example, is that these guys are terrible. If you fix a couple of leaks, Gabe, you should be able to dominate fields like this. I suspect, however, that you've picked up some bad habits, so let's get those addressed.

The biggest overall takeaway for me is consistent with what I inferred from the numbers you provided initially. You're far too passive preflop. Next time you play one of these, never open limp. Not once. And if someone has open-limped ahead of you and you're thinking of just calling, ask yourself if that's really the best play. Whenever you raise, you can win by everyone else folding. That's not the only reason for doing it, but it's a powerful one.

As persuadeo notes, the other issue is bet sizing. I've broken down some specific hands below, but in general your sizing is too big. This is a complex topic that many people struggle with, but if you're not sure what to bet or don't have a reason for betting any particular size, default to 50% pot rather than pot. In many cases that may still be too big, but it's a simple way of improving over your current default.

Now a few hands with timestamps...

3:30 K7o BU. I'd personally skip the open-raise here, but it's good you raised. However, betting full pot on the flop is unnecessary.

7:00. The QTo hand persuadeo mentioned. First, this is just a fold pre, so we shouldn't get here like this, but then you compound the problem by betting full pot into 3 players. Multiple issues. In multiway pots, the winning hand is going to be stronger than HU. Your hand isn't particularly strong. This huge bet is essentially asking if anyone wants to play for stacks. If all the money goes in here, how often do you think you'll be good? More generally, what does any bet accomplish in this spot? What are you trying to achieve?

9:30. 66 BB. The flop lead is enterprising here. I don't mind it, but recognize limping ranges for players like this are fairly T-heavy and you're betting into two people. Again full pot is unnecessary. What does it accomplish that 1/2 pot doesn't? Having been called in two places, the turn barrel is just burning chips.

Skipping ahead a bit past the section persuadeo looked at...

27:00. OL A3o HJ. This is just bad. Fold.

28:00. Someone open-limps off 12bb and you overcall TT. Why? Have to raise here. Flopping middle set on an A-high board this is a rare instance when I might slowplay.

30:30. OL A4s BU. Again, don't do this. Given the stacks in the blinds I think the cleanest approach is to min-raise, fold if the SB shoves, and call if the BB shoves. If the SB had the same stack as the BB, just open-shove.

38:00. K9o MP. Raising is better than limping here, but I'd suggest you take a broader view of what playing at 20bb depth involves. Opens at this depth are tricky when everyone has similar stacks, because the players left to act can efficiently jam over you. So typically at this depth you're looking for places to 3bet-shove over others, not exposing yourself to the move with an overly wide range. The pot-sized c-bet is not good. You have an SPR of 2. If you conclude you have the best hand and want to get stacks in, you can accomplish this easily with far smaller sizing. All a big bet does here is contort your opponent's continuance range to the point they have you beat.

45:00. Never, ever open-limp AK at this (or probably any other) stack depth. The flop shove is... dramatic.

50:00. 96o CO. I realize people like to play this hand for its supposed comedic value, but limping with it here is pretty terrible. You can bet much smaller on the flop given the board texture.

52:30 QQ UTG+1. This is a common mistake and a costly one. You've been making standard opens when you do raise in the 2-2.2x range, now suddenly you blaze out 4.4x. Not only is this transparent, but it gives your opponents no room to come over the top. Just shoving is better here IMO since people will "put you on AK" and make bad calls with 77 or something.

55:30 A3o BU. You can shove. You can min-raise. You can't limp.

59:40. Q7s BB. I realize some of these guys are trappy, but when the SB open-completes at this depth does he ever have anything that can call a jam? If not, jam.

Hope that helps.

Moderation In Moderation
    Y'all have no idea how grateful I am for the input. @persuadeo and @TheGameKat. I have been playing for decades, but just recently started taking it seriously. I've decided to do a complete systemic breakdown and reconstruct. I'm not quite complete with Level 1 on CORE yet and I've already seen improvement. I'll spend this week working off table. I've broken down some percentages of my strengths and weaknesses from this tourney that have showed me some of the same things both of y'all are mentioning. I'll post those results once I get back home.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file