30NL river boat vs aggressive reg... snap river call?

solarcoastersolarcoaster Red Chipper Posts: 26 ✭✭
Villain has been 3-betting light... I snap called this river so fast but looking back should I even consider a higher boat here? Can you ever find a fold?

Was so surprised to lose this pot and had to go back to hand history to double check. Wondering if this is a leak and I need to slow down and think more or if this is just a snap call..

***** Hand History for Game 1111111111 ***** (Poker Stars)
$30.00 USD NL Texas Hold'em - Monday, December 02, 10:46:40 ET 2019
Table Avior (Real Money)
Seat 2 is the button
Seat 1: Player1 ( $25.52 USD ) - VPIP: 41, PFR: 13, 3B: 8, AF: 1.2, Hands: 46
Seat 2: Hero ( $34.10 USD ) - VPIP: 25, PFR: 17, 3B: 4, AF: 1.8, Hands: 1260
Seat 3: Player3 ( $70.80 USD ) - VPIP: 30, PFR: 11, 3B: 0, AF: 4.5, Hands: 44
Seat 4: Player4 ( $27.90 USD ) - VPIP: 24, PFR: 21, 3B: 8, AF: 2.2, Hands: 156
Seat 5: Player5 ( $46.31 USD ) - VPIP: 24, PFR: 18, 3B: 7, AF: 6.0, Hands: 85
Seat 6: Player6 ( $25.20 USD ) - VPIP: 65, PFR: 0, 3B: 0, AF: 0.7, Hands: 34
Player3 posts small blind [$0.15 USD].
Player4 posts big blind [$0.30 USD].
** Dealing down cards **
Dealt to Hero [ Ad Jh ]
Player5 folds
Player6 calls [$0.30 USD]
Player1 folds
Hero raises [$0.90 USD]
Player3 folds
Player4 raises [$3.30 USD]
Player6 folds
Hero calls [$2.70 USD]
** Dealing Flop ** [ 8s, 8c, Kd ]
Player4 checks
Hero checks
** Dealing Turn ** [ As ]
Player4 checks
Hero checks
** Dealing River ** [ Ac ]
Player4 bets [$2.30 USD]
Hero raises [$5.00 USD]
Player4 raises [$22.00 USD]
Hero calls [$19.30 USD]
Player4 shows [Ah, Kc ]
Hero shows [Ad, Jh ]
Player4 wins $54.25 USD from main pot

Comments

• LeChiffreLeChiffre NetherlandsRed Chipper Posts: 657 ✭✭✭
    What worse hands do you expect villain to call your river raise with? Are there more combos that you beat than the other way around?
  • solarcoastersolarcoaster Red Chipper Posts: 26 ✭✭
    LeChiffre wrote: »
    What worse hands do you expect villain to call your river raise with? Are there more combos that you beat than the other way around?

Some high pocket pairs, maybe the occasional 8 though maybe unlikely given pre-flop action.

Surely this is a raise on the river though?
  • persuadeopersuadeo Red Chipper Posts: 4,353 ✭✭✭✭✭
    so what are your bluffs here?
  • TheGameKatTheGameKat Posts: 4,435 -
    LeChiffre wrote: »

Some high pocket pairs, maybe the occasional 8 though maybe unlikely given pre-flop action.

Surely this is a raise on the river though?

If V doesn't have a bet-call hand we're beating, I suspect it isn't. If you think they call with QQ/JJ (thereby motivating the raise), does it become a raise-fold I wonder.
    Moderation In Moderation
  • EurocratEurocrat Red Chipper Posts: 73 ✭✭
    The fact that V doesn't have his full stack in the beginning of the hands suggests to me that he is not a highly competent player, so I can see some merit in raising the river. I think its possible he might have the same line with at least some KK combos. I don't think he has any combos with an 8 here ever. Now if the occasional KK combo justifies your line, you do the math.

Another thing I noticed is that preflop, you should use a bigger size to isolate the limper (I go for 4 bbs usually). When 3bet with AJo in early position, I think I would prefer to use it as a 4bet bluff, although I admit that is debatable. But it does have the benefit of avoiding situations like this where you are dominated. :-)

• Adam WheelerAdam Wheeler Red Chipper Posts: 2,659 ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2019
    First i would have ISO raise bigger when HJ limped, 3x seems a bit on the lower side. Second when BB 3B i probably just fold that hand preflop. Calling with this flavor of AJ is telling me that you probably call 3B too wide IP. You'll be dominated often postflop versus the OOP 3B.

Regarding postflop play, after the second check from V on turn it is a mandatory delayed float bet (stab), V has enough hands that will peel the river that you can get value from. It is probably best/optimal to go with a smaller size on turn. I would probably size also that way river.

As played on river it is whatever. He can certainly have AQs here or any other Ax that you split with and he most likely don't call a raise with very worst.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file