SPR & drawing hands multi-way

sfx_beigssfx_beigs Red Chipper Posts: 98 ✭✭
Trying to wrap my head around SPR in relation to what I had previously learned.

Take a hand like 98s. A hand that I had always been taught favors multi-way pots. If there’s a raise and 3-callers (very common in my game) I had always been under the impression that calling was the right play. My immediate odds are good and i I hit, I stand to win a good pot.

But! When looking at SPR, 98s favors high SPR pots which is not what we will have here in my game which is not gery deep. With the multiway action, the pot is very large compared to the stack sizes.

How do I reconcile the contradiction?

Thanks.
Tagged:

Comments

• Zero CoolZero Cool Red Chipper Posts: 272 ✭✭✭
    Like any concept or strategy in poker nothing is 100%. The idea that a hand plays well multi-way is dependent on stacks being deep enough that the hand has play-ability post flop. Getting into a multi-way 1 SPR pot with 98s is just gambling to hit the flop.
  • LeChiffreLeChiffre NetherlandsRed Chipper Posts: 657 ✭✭✭
    I'd say stack depth is more important than the number of players. I've read a couple of times too on this forum the argument that suited connectors are better played HU (rather than multiway) as the bulk of their EV comes from semi-bluffs, which are easier to make against fewer opponents.
  • RedRed Red Chipper Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭✭✭
    sfx_beigs wrote: »
    Through EV
  • Mr_Big_StackMr_Big_Stack Over The RoadRed Chipper Posts: 34 ✭✭
    It's like a checklist. Will it be MW OTF? Check. IP? Check. High SPR? Check. Implied odds? Check.

Sometimes we confuse the last two as being one in the same. A high SPR means there's a lot behind. But the implied odds are dependent on our opponents.
  • TheGameKatTheGameKat Las VegasPosts: 4,863 -
    Red wrote: »
    Through EV

This is actually the trick, although it obviously subsumes a lot of other concepts. But fundamentally, do you have a plan to profit with this hand?

To address the specific "contradiction" that you're worried about, both multiway pots and high SPR pots can in principle be a symptom of high implied odds, but the former needn't be if the game is shallow. Suited connectors prefer high implied odds, but some OOP, massively multiway cluster is never easy to negotiate.
    Moderation In Moderation
  • RedRed Red Chipper Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭✭✭
    TheGameKat wrote: »
    Red wrote: »
    Through EV

This is actually the trick, although it obviously subsumes a lot of other concepts. But fundamentally, do you have a plan to profit with this hand?

To address the specific "contradiction" that you're worried about, both multiway pots and high SPR pots can in principle be a symptom of high implied odds, but the former needn't be if the game is shallow. Suited connectors prefer high implied odds, but some OOP, massively multiway cluster is never easy to negotiate.

What connect both situation is that 98s usually hold marginal equity and big pot are in play - which we need to be +EV with marginal equity.

To know if 98s if good to play or not - in a HU high SPR or MW low SPR - , is only a EV calculation. Is calculating your EV MW really more difficult - or easier - than calculating, on the flop, your equity in a high (10+) SPR where you've to make many assumptions about further streets ?
    For both situation, the play only depends on EV - on your assumption (ranges, strategy, etc.) and math.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file