Betting for Protection

Mr_Big_StackMr_Big_Stack Over The RoadRed Chipper Posts: 34 ✭✭
So after many false starts I'm finally committed to seeing Core all the way through (It's like quitting cigarettes. There was never a "perfect" time to do it. So I just did it). Hopefully I don't spam the forum, but here's the first of many questions. The Lesson is Betting 101. Toward the end of the video "Why We Bet (or Raise) in Poker" SplitSuit notes that betting for protection isn't discussed. I look at betting for protection and denying equity as the same concept with different names. Am I wrong? If so, can someone please clarify? Here's a hand I played recently:

Folds to Hero in LJ with 99. Raise 3.5bb. BTN calls

Flop T62 (2-suited).
Hero bets. BTN folds.

I probably have the best hand. But OOP and with many overcards that could come OTT, I'm happy to take down to take down a 7bb pot. I bet to protect my hand hoping for a fold. In the process I denied Villain's equity with any overcards in his range.

Comments

• LeChiffreLeChiffre NetherlandsRed Chipper Posts: 657 ✭✭✭
    Betting for protection and equity denial are in my mind indeed the same thing. (I've also noted already that first in CORE first protection is brushed under the carpet but is then mentioned as one of the most important things a couple lessons later.)

Your bet would indeed constitute as a protection bet in my mind and is perfectly reasonable.
  • EazzyEazzy Red Chipper Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭✭
    In general when you bet its to ....
    Fold out better hands
    or
    Get called by worse hands...

Other reasons are generally secondary...and come as an aspect of these two...

Here you can be called by worse hands...and you don't mind folding out hands like KQ or AQ (equity)....but you perfer if they call you with over cards...

You would not chose a bet size that folds out AQ and 65s.....
    but you would not check back and give K8 a free card...
  • jeffncjeffnc Red Chipper Posts: 5,007 ✭✭✭✭✭
    IMO to be a protection bet, you must currently have the best hand, and the bet must either

a) be high enough so that your opponent has improper odds for calling with a hand that can beat you (this can get complicated when taking into account implied odds)
    or
    b) induce your opponent to fold his non-zero equity for whatever reason

a) is a "pure" protection bet based on pot odds (but all the information won't be known to all players.) b) is much more subjective.

So some examples that follow from that
    - if you move all-in for $50 into a $100 pot and your opponent needs to make a flush to win, then you made a protection bet whether he calls or folds
    - if you flop a royal flush, there can be no such thing as a protection bet
    - if you bet $20 with the best hand into a $100 pot and your opponent calls drawing to a winning flush, then you did not make a protection bet
    - protection bets might work over multiple streets. Only you know what you will pay off if your opponent outdraws you. In the previous example, if you had bet $50 instead of $20, you made a protection bet on the street, but only you (not your opponent) know how much you will pay off if he hits. So you could argue you haven't protected your hand if you pay off too much because he had proper implied odds.
    - if for some reason you happen to know that your opponent has a high probability of folding, based on whatever game conditions, even though he would have the odds to call if he saw your cards, then you can still make a protection bet
  • jeffncjeffnc Red Chipper Posts: 5,007 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Eazzy wrote: »
    In general when you bet its to ....
    Fold out better hands
    or
    Get called by worse hands...

Other reasons are generally secondary...and come as an aspect of these two...

Here you can be called by worse hands...and you don't mind folding out hands like KQ or AQ (equity)....but you perfer if they call you with over cards...

But as Matthew Janda has pointed out, sometimes you prefer a worse hand to fold.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file