bet sizing quiz question(Level 2)

skim87skim87 Red Chipper Posts: 11 ✭✭
simple question. In the 3rd question,

EV = (villain's folding % * pot size) - (villain's calling %)[(Hero's losing % * total losing when villain called) - (Hero's winning % * total winning when villain called)]

therefore, for example,
pot size = 30, 30% of the time, the Villain will call a $10 bet. You will win 75% of the time when called.

EV = (0.7 * 30) - 0.3[(0.25 * 10) - (0.75 * 40)] = 21- 0.3[2.5-30] = 21+8.25 = 29.25

Is this right??

Comments

• TheGameKatTheGameKat Posts: 4,249 -
    So the assumption is 70% of the time villain folds?

Not sure I understand the scenario.
    Moderation In Moderation
  • TheGameKatTheGameKat Posts: 4,249 -
    If you could link me to the quiz question or screenshot it, I'll have a better chance of decoding your question.
    Moderation In Moderation
  • skim87skim87 Red Chipper Posts: 11 ✭✭
    TheGameKat wrote: »
    If you could link me to the quiz question or screenshot it, I'll have a better chance of decoding your question.

s85m3yh3ah34.png

this is not EV question but i am still wondering how i get EV in this situation
  • LeChiffreLeChiffre NetherlandsRed Chipper Posts: 657 ✭✭✭
    edited December 2019
    skim87 wrote: »
    Is this right??

Yes.

Though ask yourself if you understand the formula you've used.

I would have calculated it like this:
    0.7 * 30 + 0.3* (0.75 * 40 - 0.25 * 10)

since it translates to [EV of getting folds] + [EV of getting called], where the amount we win from getting called = [How often we win * Amount we win] - [How often we lose * Amount we lose]

It's the same thing mathematically, but I think mine translates better to English and cultivates an understanding of the formula.
  • skim87skim87 Red Chipper Posts: 11 ✭✭
    LeChiffre wrote: »
    skim87 wrote: »
    Is this right??

Yes.

Though ask yourself if you understand the formula you've used.

I would have calculated it like this:
    0.7 * 30 + 0.3* (0.75 * 40 - 0.25 * 10)

since it translates to [EV of getting folds] + [EV of getting called], where [EV of getting called] = [How often we win * Amount we win] - [How often we lose * Amount we lose]

It's the same thing mathematically, but I think mine translates better to English and cultivates an understanding of the formula.

Thanks a lot for your response. the thing that i was not sure was total amount of winning when villain called. In 30 pot, hero bet 10 and villain call 10. At this point, i wasn't sure that i had to include hero's bet(which makes 50). Thank you again.
  • LeChiffreLeChiffre NetherlandsRed Chipper Posts: 657 ✭✭✭
    Yes, that's always confusing. I think of it as current pot + bet size.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file