Was this a check on the river?

EricKEricK Red Chipper Posts: 6 ✭✭
This is the first time I am posting a hand for review. Do have the video of the hand for easier review but I am unsure how to upload the video
(help on uploading hand videos would be appreciated)

MP: 5,678
MP+1: 11,996
CO: 3,355
Hero (BTN): 5,702
SB: 2,503
BB: 5,047
UTG: 7,437
UTG+1: 3,730

8 players post ante of 5, SB posts SB 30, BB posts BB 60

Pre Flop: (pot: 130) Hero has Qc Ac
fold, fold, MP calls 60, MP+1 calls 60, fold, Hero raises to 300, fold, BB calls 240, MP calls 240, MP+1 calls 240
I thought I made an aggressive 3 bet after 2 limpers. Was this bet too small, as i got 3 callers)?

lop : (1,270, 4 players) Jc As 4d
BB checks, MP checks, MP+1 checks, Hero checks
Thinking I had a strong hand here with a relatively static board, I checked here to make it appear like I had pocket pair and was concerned about the A overcard

Turn : (1,270, 4 players) Ts
BB checks, MP checks, MP+1 bets 635, Hero calls 635, fold, fold

I didn't raise here for 2 reasons: 1. He was the big stack at the table and I was trying to pot control 2. As I took the passive play on the flop I wanted to stay consistent with my line.

River : (2,540, 2 players) 6c
MP+1 checks, Hero bets 1,270, MP+1 calls 1,270

Hero shows Qc Ac (One Pair, Aces)
(Pre 66%, Flop 30%, Turn 23%)

MP+1 shows 4s Js (Two Pair, Jacks and Fours)
(Pre 34%, Flop 70%, Turn 77%)

MP+1 wins 5,080

I felt his check here indicated a weak A at best. I never even had J4 in my range for this player.

Comments

• TheGameKatTheGameKat Posts: 3,521 -
    It seems the common way for members to show hand videos is to stick 'em on YouTube and give the link here. Then the forum faeries do an auto-embed.
    Moderation In Moderation
  • TheGameKatTheGameKat Posts: 3,521 -
    A few observations below...

EricK wrote: »

Pre Flop: (pot: 130) Hero has Qc Ac
    fold, fold, MP calls 60, MP+1 calls 60, fold, Hero raises to 300, fold, BB calls 240, MP calls 240, MP+1 calls 240
    I thought I made an aggressive 3 bet after 2 limpers. Was this bet too small, as i got 3 callers)?

Semantic point: you can't 3-bet after limpers, this is an isolation raise (2-bet). Given stack depth and that this is a tournament I think the sizing is okay, although you could shade a little bigger.

Flop : (1,270, 4 players) Jc As 4d
    BB checks, MP checks, MP+1 checks, Hero checks
    Thinking I had a strong hand here with a relatively static board, I checked here to make it appear like I had pocket pair and was concerned about the A overcard

As a general rule, whenever you get the urge to take an action to "make it appear like..." resist that urge and ask what is the most EV play. Very few opponents are thinking logically about what your hand appears like until you get above $600 buy-in tournaments. Even then your priority is taking the most profitable line. If you bet smallish here you will get value from weaker aces and stray Js.

Turn : (1,270, 4 players) Ts
    BB checks, MP checks, MP+1 bets 635, Hero calls 635, fold, fold

I didn't raise here for 2 reasons: 1. He was the big stack at the table and I was trying to pot control 2. As I took the passive play on the flop I wanted to stay consistent with my line.

I think the main reason for not raising is that all it may achieve is contorting villain's calling range to only hands that beat you. Remaining consistent with earlier passivity isn't really a reason.

River : (2,540, 2 players) 6c
    MP+1 checks, Hero bets 1,270, MP+1 calls 1,270

Hero shows Qc Ac (One Pair, Aces)
    (Pre 66%, Flop 30%, Turn 23%)

MP+1 shows 4s Js (Two Pair, Jacks and Fours)
    (Pre 34%, Flop 70%, Turn 77%)

MP+1 wins 5,080

I felt his check here indicated a weak A at best. I never even had J4 in my range for this player.

I'd be inclined to bet the river when checked to, but for no more than about 1/3 pot.
    Moderation In Moderation
  • EricKEricK Red Chipper Posts: 6 ✭✭
    Thank you for all your constructive advice
  • EazzyEazzy Red Chipper Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭✭
    Pre flop is fine....
    You do not want palayers folding J4s to your raise...
    If they call J4s they call Q4s and many other hands AQs dominates..

I he calls with hands that can get a dominated flush, you get to double up...
    I you hit tip apair and they hit top pair you will make soem money..

Flop...
    On the flop...eh it depends on the players....
    Will they call 3 barrels with with AT...is kind of the question...

Two broadway cards always mean a lot of limp callsers will have hits insdide straights...KQ QT KT type hands....may be in the limp callers range..
    If you think they might bluff these on the turn and river...or attack yo weakness I like the check back...

If you think they play kind of nitty will fold A3s or ATo to you small bet into 3 players I like lthe check back...

But for the most part make a small bet...less then 1/2 pot charge the inside striaghts...and its hard for a weak ace to fold....(again if they a capable of making check raise bluffs...may perfer to check back...

My guess is they a weak players and may call two or 3 small bets ...and not put pressure on you.

checking tells everyone who listens that you are capped at 1 pair...

Turn

bad card AT got there JT moves ahead...and kQ got there....
    they do have some pair and draw hands like JQ TQ KT..and some backdoor spades....if the backdoor spades did not inclue the A of spades on the board a raise might be a consideration....part blocking part value.

just calling is fine...

River he looks like one pair ....when he checks..bet an amount that KT might call and A8 will call...

I

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file