Where are you playing online?

sfx_beigssfx_beigs Red Chipper Posts: 13 ✭✭
I live in Los Angeles and would like to start playing real money online poker. I've read a bunch of reviews of various online sites (I currently have Bovada downloaded) but was wondering where the best place to play is. Or really, where the RCP community likes to play. Thinking about player pool, ease of depositing/withdrawing money, UI etc...

I'll still go to the live rooms whenever I can but this damned family always wants me at home.

Thanks,
sfx

(I didn't know which category to post this in so I took a guess. Online poker uses software, right?)

Comments

• TheGameKatTheGameKat Posts: 2,840 -
    sfx_beigs wrote: »
    I live in Los Angeles and would like to start playing real money online poker. I've read a bunch of reviews of various online sites (I currently have Bovada downloaded) but was wondering where the best place to play is. Or really, where the RCP community likes to play. Thinking about player pool, ease of depositing/withdrawing money, UI etc...

I'll still go to the live rooms whenever I can but this damned family always wants me at home.

Thanks,
    sfx

(I didn't know which category to post this in so I took a guess. Online poker uses software, right?)

Both live and online poker require software if you're doing it right. Whenever a topic doesn't seem to have a natural home, just sling it in General Concepts.

I play exclusively on WSOP.com, but for RCP subs without access to regulated US poker, Global seems to be favorite. Based on some of the HHs I've seen, Global is as soft as anywhere for NLHE cash.
    Moderation In Moderation
  • persuadeopersuadeo Red Chipper, Table Captain Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Based on recent student videos, Global continues to feature busy, soft tables plus some of the highest rake around, a pretty reasonable compromise.

Bovada and Ignition are also primary U.S. facing sites.
  • sfx_beigssfx_beigs Red Chipper Posts: 13 ✭✭
    I'm probably not understanding how it works but Global looks weird with its sweeps coins vs gold coins and how you can get your money. *sigh* It's pretty annoying that CA hasn't legalized this yet.
  • Mr_Big_StackMr_Big_Stack Over The RoadRed Chipper Posts: 28 ✭✭
    I play on Global. The games are soft. No HUD (although I've heard there is a work around). You need to verify your account by providing a picture of your ID. The Sweeps Cash (SC) is the "real money". It may be confusing because of the legal loophole/grey area that Global takes advantage of to operate. You are technically buying Gold Coins (GC, play money) and getting Sweeps Cash (SC, real money) for free (smh).

If you want to see just how weak the average player is: search YouTube for Poker Maniac TFP.
  • TheGameKatTheGameKat Posts: 2,840 -
    I play on Global. The games are soft. No HUD (although I've heard there is a work around). You need to verify your account by providing a picture of your ID. The Sweeps Cash (SC) is the "real money". It may be confusing because of the legal loophole/grey area that Global takes advantage of to operate. You are technically buying Gold Coins (GC, play money) and getting Sweeps Cash (SC, real money) for free (smh).

If you want to see just how weak the average player is: search YouTube for Poker Maniac TFP.

While silly, this seems less so than the post-UIGEA nonsense of having a payment processor send you confirmation you'd purchased a large number of golf balls.
    Moderation In Moderation
    Yeah. I had read they were taking advantage of sweepstakes regulations so I thought you earned sweepstakes coins which then had to had be entered in a “random” contest where you could “win” cash. I was worried that you could have 100 SC and end up winning less than the $100 you thought.

Glad to see that’s not the case.
    One thing that’s interesting about Bovada is the games are anonymous. But since I haven’t deposited money there I can’t see how robust the cash games are. It won’t let me look at the cash game lobby.
  • Chris_VChris_V BoiseRed Chipper Posts: 65 ✭✭
    One thing that’s interesting about Bovada is the games are anonymous. But since I haven’t deposited money there I can’t see how robust the cash games are. It won’t let me look at the cash game lobby.

The way Bovada plays now you can't look at a game until you commit to playing in it with at least a min buy-in, though you can just sit out hands and not play until you are ready. Not only are you anonymous but you can only pick the type of game you want to play, 2, 6 or 9 handed, and for what stakes, then you are transferred to an anonymous table which may or may not have action. There is also Zone poker where you are randomly pulled from a pool of anonymous players.

From the play I've seen on Bovada if you can beat the micro-stakes there then you can definitely beat any weekend 1/2 NLHE live game. The play is tighter and the rake is high.

The rake on the Bovada micro-stakes is basically 5% fixed because pots hardly ever get to the >$40 needed to cap them. Comparing the 25NL there to a live 1/2NLHE game would be like playing a 1/2 game that was raked 5% but had a $16 cap!
    That’s pretty bad. But I play live in LA so terrible rake is not new. I remember the first time I played at Commerce, I sat a $40NL game. $0.5-1 blinds. All 9 players limped. Pot had $4 in it. That was the only time I’ve ever sat at that game.
  • Mr_Big_StackMr_Big_Stack Over The RoadRed Chipper Posts: 28 ✭✭
    I played on Ignition until I found out about Global. I believe Ignition and Bovada are the same company?

What Chris_Villalobos says about not being able to choose your table is the reason that I cashed out of Ignition. On Global you get to see 1) the % of hands that go to the flop on each table, and 2) the average pot size for that table. Every orbit or so I am checking the home screen looking for tables that have the highest FS%.
  • Chris_VChris_V BoiseRed Chipper Posts: 65 ✭✭
    edited January 9
    Wow that is bad! Sound
    That’s pretty bad. But I play live in LA so terrible rake is not new. I remember the first time I played at Commerce, I sat a $40NL game. $0.5-1 blinds. All 9 players limped. Pot had $4 in it. That was the only time I’ve ever sat at that game.

I’ve met some players that have made big scores playing Bovada (Ignition now) tournaments, but I personally use it as a cash game training site. If you use a database tracker, and also study the game histories, it’s a good way to practice everything you learn on RCP for fairly little outlay. Since it’s anonymous the game histories let you see everyone’s hole cards (after a 24hr delay), so say if you made a big “don’t pay off” fold you can always go back and see what the villain actually had. There is usually a good selection of NLHE games in the micros. Every once in awhile I can find a six handed PLO8 game running which is what I’m focusing on right now.
  • LoveFishLoveFish IllinoisRed Chipper Posts: 100 ✭✭
    edited January 11
    America’s card room has some decent tournaments. They added boots poker recently which is always my favourite to multi table.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file