How would you play this

Benjammin Benjammin Red Chipper Posts: 28 ✭✭
The table is loose passive with maybe 2 or 3 aggressive players, including hero. Utg limps for $3. Player has shown a tendency to limp and call with a very wide range, but is now short stacked with about 12bb behind. Folds around to button who is a fairly loose recreational player. Button raises to $15. Hero is in the small blind and is dealt 99. Hero calls $15, bb folds, and utg raises all-in for $33 total. This reopened action. Button is not an aggressive player. Villain on the button calls $18. Hero?

Comments

• Benjammin Benjammin Red Chipper Posts: 28 ✭✭
    Sorry, villain called the additional $ and action is now on hero in sb
    Sorry again, effective stacks between heron and villain is ~65bb
  • persuadeopersuadeo Red Chipper Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • NinjahNinjah Red Chipper Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭✭
    Very likely that you're ahead and postflop can bring a lot of murkiness to the situation. I would have much rather just 3bet preflop when we had the original opportunity but I suppose it isn't too late now at this stack depth.
  • jeffncjeffnc Red Chipper Posts: 4,993 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Are you set mining against one player with no money and another with a shortish stack?
  • Mr_Big_StackMr_Big_Stack Over The RoadRed Chipper Posts: 29 ✭✭
    jeffnc wrote: »
    Are you set mining against one player with no money and another with a shortish stack?

This is the heart of the discussion. What was your plan?

V OTB has 12x your call in front of him. So are you set mining against insufficient (IMO) implied odds? While forgetting that UTG is down to pocket change and is likely to say f it I'm all in.

You classify the BUT as "a fairly loose recreational player". What range are you constructing for him? Do you believe he will fold to a 3!? Let's take a peek at the flop. Where is he on the fit or fold to calling you down with Ace high scale?

Seems like a no-brainer 3!. The question is the sizing. There's ~20 in the pot. A 3! to 50-60 sets us up for a shove OTF. The fold equity depends on how observant V is and your table image

AP: I'm shoving.
    The button will play fit or fold post. He may stab at it once on the flop with big cards, or try a double barrel every now and then when he flops a draw. I felt from everything that happened so far in the hand the button doesn’t have a strong hand, but he likes it. I think he may have a hard time letting go of his suited aces, or AJ+ and some middle pocket pairs 66-88. He wont want to let go of the big cards because he doesn’t want to give up the equity he will have when I have smaller pocket pairs. He came to play. He won’t want to let go of the pocket pairs because he doesn’t want to fold the best hand when I’m doing this trying to isolate the short stack player and collect any dead money with Ax or Ax suited.
    I’m pretty confident raising is the play now that the action is reopened, and that we are raising for value and hoping for a call. I anticipated the shove from the utg player with pretty much any hand he was willing to limp with. I was aware that it would reopen the action, so my plan was to raise once that happened if the button doesn’t 3 bet. I guess we should just shove, but I wonder if there isn’t an opportunity to raise a little smaller to try and make sure we keep in the range that I’ve described.
    I realized after posting and thinking about it some more that is probably all pretty player dependent and would likely be a bad plan with deeper stacks or against different players. I still think it presents an interesting decision and situation to think about though. Thanks for the input.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file