Ethics of seeing other player's hole cards and strategy after the fact?

Chris_VChris_V BoiseRed Chipper Posts: 71 ✭✭
Player to my immediate right in a nine handed ring game keeps accidentally flashing his cards at me when he picks them up. I politely tell him I can see his cards and he should guard them better. A few hands later he picks up {AQo} UTG and accidentally flashes them to me again then raises. I have {7,7}. What’s my play?

Comments

• In The DarkIn The Dark Red Chipper Posts: 226 ✭✭
    I warn every flasher once, as you did. Switching seats to get a better look is not part of my play.

Then I play perfectly against them after that. In this case I'd raise and fold when they always hit the flop. Always.
  • joesizejoesize Red Chipper Posts: 119 ✭✭
    Next time don't warn him- just slide down in your chair and lean over toward him. He should get the message. And if not, well, you just have to do what you have to do.
  • Chris_VChris_V BoiseRed Chipper Posts: 71 ✭✭
    joesize wrote: »
    Next time don't warn him- just slide down in your chair and lean over toward him. He should get the message. And if not, well, you just have to do what you have to do.

I can just see myself doing that. LMFAO! He probably would have gotten the point better though!
    Then I play perfectly against them after that. In this case I'd raise and fold when they always hit the flop. Always.

Once when I was younger and still played limit hold'em I had the same opportunity with a guy who kept flashing his cards. I had him dominated and reraised him all the way to the river, but in my excitement I didn't pay attention to a young lady who was looking very frustrated but calling all the way with us. While I was very happy with myself for utilizing all the extra info from my main opponent the girl had flopped trips and beat us both. Karma.

• BFSkinnerBFSkinner Red Chipper Posts: 16 ✭✭
    Its a game of edges. If they are flashing their cards, they are giving away an edge. You guys are too nice...

To answer your original post, call if HU and don't pay off a A or Q. Easy game.
  • jeffncjeffnc Red Chipper Posts: 4,947 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Some of you might like this, some of you might not. As I've stated, I'm in the camp of warn them once, then all bets are off. You can get some good mileage (i.e. image) off of playing "crazy" against someone if you know their cards. e.g. show down 77 like it's the nuts if they can't beat you with AQ.
  • Doug HullDoug Hull RCP Coach Posts: 1,806 -
    Think about what is your other options?

Fold blind whenever you see his cards? A clear no.

So, you are going to play.

Try and not use the information? Not possible, he is putting an unwanted burden, and impossible one on you.

Warn him every time you see them? This is the only viable middle.

So, what if you do this?

At some point, telling him every hand is bordering on rude or bad for the game.

So, every answer between "Warn him once or warn him X times." is simply a matter of degree.

The question is really between "Warn him or warn him never." This is really a personal and subjective choice that people can make arguments for in both directions if you are truly doing nothing to gain this edge.

Co-founder Red Chip Poker,
    Author Poker Plays You Can Use
    Author Poker Workbook for Math Geeks
  • ulysses27ulysses27 Red Chipper Posts: 63 ✭✭
    I did this once when I first started. The guy next to me warned me and I didn't do it again. I figure if they continue to do it your good to use the info. In my mind it's not much different from showing your cards after a hand when you don't have to or talking strategy at the table. It's all info that can be used against you if your not careful.
  • accessdeniedx2accessdeniedx2 Red Chipper Posts: 47 ✭✭
    I've had this happen recently and I warned him once. The second time, I told the table that I seen his hand again and I plan on playing with that information. I only told everyone in the hopes that someone else will reiterate it. Other than that....

He did get upset with me, but I dont care. I just told him that as long as I'm not rubbernecking to see them, I'm doing nothing wrong, so flash them all day to me if he wants.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file