Limper Back-Shoves $160 over our $22 open 1/2NLHE.

Chris_VChris_V BoiseRed Chipper Posts: 73 ✭✭
This game is a typical 1/2NLHE. Lots of limped pots and only pre-flop raise with Big Pocket Pairs and Broadways. Happened to a friend who what playing a short stack ($55) but there was also a cold caller who had a $200 stack so the player who limp shoved did play a bit of a squeeze.

Limper Back-Shoves $160 over our $22 open 1/2NLHE.

Sign in to vote!
This is a public poll: others will see what you voted for.

Comments

• EurocratEurocrat Red Chipper Posts: 73 ✭✭
    AA, KK
    Interesting to hear what people with live experience say. I play micros up to NL25 and a limp-reraise there is almost exclusively AA and KK.
  • TheGameKatTheGameKat Posts: 3,654 -
    Wider that any above.
    There is a subset of live $1/$2 players who do this with small pocket pairs.
    Moderation In Moderation
  • Chris_VChris_V BoiseRed Chipper Posts: 73 ✭✭
    AA, KK
    TheGameKat wrote: »
    There is a subset of live $1/$2 players who do this with small pocket pairs.

If not overused that would be a pretty good move against a late opening range. Of course, once a "recreational" player finds they can fold the field they will likely over use it and hopefully be noticed by us. This play happens so rarely in the games I play in that a person with that strategy would likely stand out.

I could totally see incorporating it as a move against a loose raiser who knows enough to punish limpers but is obviously playing too many hands also.

• Ataxia13Ataxia13 Red Chipper Posts: 13 ✭✭
    Wider that any above.
    I play in Albuquerque regularly and I rarely see this large of an overbet pre-flop. When it does happen it's typically one hand, JJ. The hand players love to see but hate to play. New players might pull that move with AA for the same reason some players do it with JJ.

Recently an overbet was made with AA, and the player showed his cards to the table, and at least 4 people started talking about how much they hate playing AA, and "It's better to win a small pot with AA than lose a big pot with AA." I'll take AA all day long, and I am happy to see the flop.
  • mfish465mfish465 Red Chipper Posts: 3 ✭✭
    Wider that any above.
    If i read correctly, short stack only had $55 left, with that said i would think he is trying to protect his middle pair and make a small profit while not losing more than $77. It also isolates any other players from entering the pot unless they have AA thru AQ. Guess that is my thought.
  • jeffncjeffnc Red Chipper Posts: 5,001 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 30
    Ataxia13 wrote: »
    I play in Albuquerque regularly and I rarely see this large of an overbet pre-flop. When it does happen it's typically one hand, JJ. The hand players love to see but hate to play. New players might pull that move with AA for the same reason some players do it with JJ.

Ha, that's true. I have actually seen T shirts that say "I hate jacks". I've never seen one about aces though.

Regarding players who say they hate jacks, it's amusing. I just tell them to play them like they're tens. No one says they hate tens.

• jeffncjeffnc Red Chipper Posts: 5,001 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I didn't vote because in my games this is extremely player dependent. AA/KK is most common, but I've seen a lot more. Against an unknown player, I suppose that means "much wider" for me.

I played once against a player who was extremely tight and predictable. One of those games with a lot of raising and calling but not much 3-betting. I limped UTG, villain limped next, and there was a raise. I reraised, and villain 4-bet. He just limp-reraised a UTG limp-reraiser. We all know what that means. I folded KK right side up and he showed AA. One of the handful of times I've folded KK preflop. But when you know, you know. There were the usual comments, like "I'm not good enough to do that." I didn't flip them up to show I was good, I flipped them up to get some sympathy for my bad luck. A monkey would have known to fold to that guy.

Against many other players, it's much more difficult.
  • BigFudgeBigFudge Red Chipper Posts: 35 ✭✭
    AA, KK
    This is very V dependent. I rarely see this dry on anything less than AA or KK and it’s usually a nit who has had some hands cracked and knows he’s not getting action opening EP. From LAGS I’ve seen it as a semi-bluff with a super wide range but usually only as a squeeze as it increases the payout on the semi-bluff.
  • Doug HullDoug Hull RCP Coach Posts: 1,867 -
    edited February 12
    Wider that any above.
    I say, it does not matter.

Open to $22 with $33 behind. You are getting:

$22+$22+$33 for that $33. First order approximation you are putting in just over 25% of the final pot and see showdown.

Anything that you reasonably open for nearly half your stack is already committed. If you are not, review your "pre-flop open to ~50% of your stack" range.
    Co-founder Red Chip Poker,
    Author Poker Plays You Can Use
    Author Poker Workbook for Math Geeks

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file