Bomb Pots?

osgoboosgobo Red Chipper Posts: 62 ✭✭
So, it's an action game... as it always is at $1/$3 (everywhere but Nitsville, aka Las Vegas) and everyone at the table wants to do bomb pots. Much like with straddles you don't want to kill the flow of the game so you agree. There are 9 players at the table and the stack sizes generally look something like this: 3 people have $100ish, 4 people have $200 to $300 and 2 people have $1000+. Everyone agrees to put $15 in and see the flop.

There is $135 in the pot and if you started the hand with say $290 the SPR is 2.

What do you continue with?
How do you continue? Just ship it or fold?

Does Red Chip Poker have any videos on this topic?

Thanks

Comments

• blasterblaster Red Chipper Posts: 91 ✭✭
    close your eyes and gamble it the fuck up
  • TheGameKatTheGameKat Posts: 3,171 -
    osgobo wrote: »
    So, it's an action game... as it always is at $1/$3 (everywhere but Nitsville, aka Las Vegas) and everyone at the table wants to do bomb pots. Much like with straddles you don't want to kill the flow of the game so you agree. There are 9 players at the table and the stack sizes generally look something like this: 3 people have $100ish, 4 people have $200 to $300 and 2 people have $1000+. Everyone agrees to put $15 in and see the flop.

There is $135 in the pot and if you started the hand with say $290 the SPR is 2.

What do you continue with?
    How do you continue? Just ship it or fold?

Does Red Chip Poker have any videos on this topic?

Thanks

You may be able to extrapolate from videos on low-SPR, multiway pots, but I personally wouldn't simply because in a bomb pot everybody has a 100% range. Depending on flop texture I'm guessing the strongest hand on a flop seen by 9 players with arbitrary hands is a good 2-pair, but someone should probably check that.

As blaster indicates, the dominant factor with these things is likely how much you enjoy shoving money in and hoping for the best.
    Moderation In Moderation
    Always happy to receive suggestions. Please "agree" with LeChiffre's above post if you're interested.

Failing that, what about an article?
    Moderation In Moderation
  • Shawn JShawn J Red Chipper Posts: 69 ✭✭
    edited March 12
    We play double board bomb pots at our card club. $1-2 NLH 10 handed. We play it every 9 hands. The player with the bomb button can choose the ante to play from $10 to $25. I'm TAG. I play them (to be socially accepted is the primary reason, and not be considered too nitty).

But I honestly believe they are hurting my bottom line. They game doesn't play that big to often. I could justify playing them more often in very deep games, most at $2-5 NLH and higher.

A solid Bomb Pot series might just give me incentive enough to join Pro Membership again!!

***For reference, I've been profitable $20 hour at 1-2 for 400 hours, and $25 hour at 2-5 for 1900 hours, that including playing the bomb pots
    I sketched this and honestly couldn't figure out anything like enough material for a series. If anyone can outline for me enough for 90+ minutes of video, I'll gladly track down a content creator. But isn't this fundamentally "what plays well at SPR~1-2 against 100% ranges?"

@Shawn J I suspect it's a little tricky to determine if this is +EV or -EV for you, although my instinct says the latter. If the bomb pots keep people playing poorly in the non-bombed hands I can see it being useful, but otherwise you're simply playing raked bingo instead of poker 10% of the time.
    Moderation In Moderation
  • BigFudgeBigFudge Red Chipper Posts: 35 ✭✭
    edited March 16
    Usually when you have an SPR of 1-2 it’s heads up or 3 way. SPR of 1-2 combined with 9 handed on the flop, it gets tricky. It’s clearly a fold/shove decision but it would be nice to have a strategy for the line. Agreed though I don’t see how you get 90mins without a ton of filler. Could sell it as a single video though....$25 price tag or something like that. I seem to remember SS has something like that on his site for 3 betting and the such...

I am usually the one who says no, along with 1 or two others. Depending on the player requesting and stack sizes of course. I get that it’s bingo a good amount of time but if there is even a BE EV strategy I’d be happy to absorb the variance in order to have my image a bit more gambly. My place does it every dealer change though not every round. I think every round you have to be setting money on fire..
    Assuming I can shelve this for a bit given bomb pots don't happen online.

I think we can likely cover all the essential material in a free article. We have to make $$$ to make content, but $25 for this... nah. I'm in a giving spirit.
    Moderation In Moderation
  • BigFudgeBigFudge Red Chipper Posts: 35 ✭✭
    Agreed and many thanks Kat. Looking forward to seeing the analysis.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file