calculating implied odds and amount to reach in future streets.

arkinosarkinos Red Chipper Posts: 7 ✭✭
Hi,
I am trying to exercise my skill to estimate consequences of implied odds.
i.e, knowing how to calculate in-game which amount I would need to add to the pot in later streets if my present equity (outs, etc.) is less than the pot odds I face.
Good to make the formula explained in CORE, as:
amount to put = bet/io - totalpot, with io as 0.2 for example if we have 20% implied odds.

That is an easy way but I wanted to expand that and grasp the maths behind.
I did this to be able to estimate quickly depending on villain's bet (the bet we call).
I always try to think as V bets or my bets ratio to pot (I play micro-MTT).

This is the link to the post:

https://gist.github.com/groupedetravailpoker/6b170b1cdc21fb5d7baf18464d18eec5

I hope it helps to somebody.

Could any experimented player say how do they apply in-game implied odds?
- What do you calculate?
- How ?
- Example taking a less than pot odds decision..., etc.

Thanks !

Comments

• LeChiffreLeChiffre NetherlandsRed Chipper Posts: 642 ✭✭✭
    edited January 31
    Suppose the pot is 100, we face a pot-sized bet and we have 25% equity.

The way I do it: in order to break-even, the amount we are calling has to constitute 25% of the final pot. Why? Because then on average we will get back exactly what we are putting in. In this case, we want 100 to be 25% of the final pot, so the final pot has to be 400. Now, if we call, the pot will be 300, so we need villain to bet or call 100 more on a next street on average.

Not too complicated and makes sense in my mind rather than applying a formula from somewhere. Have X% equity? Then the amount you are calling needs to constitute X% of the final pot (so you know how much the final pot should be)
  • TheGameKatTheGameKat Posts: 3,833 -
    LeChiffre wrote: »
    Not too complicated and makes sense in my mind rather than applying a formula from somewhere. Have X% equity? Then the amount you are calling needs to constitute X% of the final pot (so you know how much the final pot should be)

I derived such a formula and tend to agree. The thing about implied odds is that we're always guessing to some extent [we don't know how much V will bet and/or call]. So approximate methods and short cuts should suffice.
    Moderation In Moderation
  • arkinosarkinos Red Chipper Posts: 7 ✭✭
    Great, thank you very much, that was really helpful.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file