QQ from the BB with no overs

Gameaholic21Gameaholic21 New JerseyRed Chipper Posts: 19 ✭✭
edited February 5 in Live Poker Hands
Been thinking about this hand for a bit and want to see what you guys think. I know I have a mental game leak when it comes to QQ (my least favorite hand) and often lose with them either through misplaying a hand or unfortunate runouts.

$1-$2 Live. Hero in the BB with $300. Villain covers.

I was at the table for maybe an hour at this point and have been running pretty good. The biggest pot I lost so far in the session however was to this same Villain - His AK outkicked my AQ at showdown. We've gotten into a few pots together including that one. He is aggressive and if he plays a pot he raises preflop. His C-bet rate was pretty much all the time if he was the PFR and he has called re-raises with top pair. He seemed to get sticky with TP a lot and pretty much stuck around with anything better. He was on a good run with several completed draws as well when calling other's bets.

V opens from the HJ to $15.
Folds Hero in the BB looks down at :Qh:Qd

I consider a re-raise here, but decide to just call. As I've said V and me have played some hands together already and I am very certain he wouldn't go anywhere here against a 3-bet. He raises when he plays, as I said, but he's more of a TAG and doesn't have to wide of an opening range when he decides to get in the pot, so i'm looking at a lot of PPs, big cards, and a few suited connectors (maybe 89s+) thrown in given his position and him being the opener. My thought process is that I am closing action and I have a good hand that will be disguised against a player who can get sticky, so I can evaluate the flop and proceed accordingly. I call (I know - my first mistake).

Heads up to the flop: :Js:5c:3s

I am very happy with the flop - No overcards, no real straight draws for V given his range and a spade draw that he might get sticky with given his tendency.

I check with the intention of check-raising as I know this V is going to make a C-bet almost every time here. V bets $30. I raise to $90 (sizing issue maybe?). V tanks for a few moments and calls. At this point i'm thinking he has something like TJ+, 89s+. I throw out JJ+ from his range figuring he would re-raise with what I observed about his aggression.

Turn: :8d

Effectively changes nothing in my head. Still no overs - dream come true. Not really scared of 2 pair getting there as I don't think a lot of 8x hands he has hit 2 pair. No made flush, no made straight. I pause for a little bit, consider the pot size and my stack size, decide to keep the aggression going and shove the rest of my stack.
Villain calls and flips over :5s:5h for the set
Tagged:

Comments

• RedRed Red Chipper Posts: 2,225 ✭✭✭✭
    There is so many mistakes on so many levels, I don't even know where I could start...
    Have you ever read a poker book / watch a poker video ? I guess @TheGameKat can strongly advises you CORE. I'd recommend you Jonathan Little "Strategies for Beating Small Stakes Poker Cash Games" - a good book for starting beginners which I really like (and likes when I started studying poker).
  • Joe DoreJoe Dore Red Chipper Posts: 24 ✭✭
    couple questions. what is your value 3bet range from the blinds to a btn steal? what is your bluffing/restealing range? what is your 3bet rate from the blinds?

if villain is calling with a lot of weaker holdings is it more profitable to be raising for value or trapping?
  • TheGameKatTheGameKat Posts: 2,939 -
    Maybe one helpful question to ask yourself here is: What is V's continuance range after I check-raise flop?
    Moderation In Moderation
  • jeffncjeffnc Red Chipper Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭✭✭
    V opens from the HJ to $15.

Here we go again.

So what exactly is your 3-bet range in this situation? Is QQ not strong enough, or so strong that we only need to call?

It may seem weird that he bets out, then just calls. It seems he's suddenly switching gears. But he can bet all his sets because he c-bets all the time, and he doesn't need to reraise them. But still we need to think about what hands he'll c-bet/call with. If he had AT, then presumably he'd just fold here. You haven't said what he does when people play back at him, but I'm assuming.

If you had 3-bet preflop, then you wouldn't care about stacking off now because he can't play that game profitably with you all night long. He's the one who raised to $15 to begin with to set that up for you. You say you hate queens. I probably would too if I had to let the other guy set the price all the time
  • RyanH1995RyanH1995 Red Chipper Posts: 67 ✭✭
    Your issue with QQ and probably other hands you dislike playing is that you play too passively with them pre like in this case. If villain is never folding to a 3bet and will call with a ton of hands you dominate than you should definitely be 3betting. I think you may be focused too much on playing your hand instead of range v range. Yes you have an overpair to the board but when you x/r against this villain how many worse hands do you get called by when you shove? In these super nitty $1/2 games there might not be much you beat. Plug in some ranges in flopzilla and estimate what villain's range is after he calls the flop x/r.
  • ulysses27ulysses27 Red Chipper Posts: 63 ✭✭
    Some questions I have is why shove on the turn? Is it for protection or do you think you have certain hands beat that will still call? What hands do you think will fold and which call?

I would prefer a half pot bet on the turn. This charges draws and Jx hands but keeps them in the hand. This also gives you a good sized bet for the river.
  • SpaztasticSpaztastic Red Chipper Posts: 3 ✭✭
    As played, it seems to me like you played in a way to exploit villain’s leaks very well. You let him hang himself with his aggression while you held a very strong hand relative to his range and your shove is exploiting his tendency to get sticky with 1 pair hands. I like how you played the hand against this particular villain.
    The main reason to 3 bet QQ here is to isolate but as you were BB and it seems everyone folded out that wasn’t necessary here.
  • jeffncjeffnc Red Chipper Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Spaztastic wrote: »
    The main reason to 3 bet QQ here is to isolate but as you were BB and it seems everyone folded out that wasn’t necessary here.

If it wasn't necessary "here", then what does it mean that the main reason to 3-bet QQ "here" is to isolate?

• TheGameKatTheGameKat Posts: 2,939 -
    SplitSuit's take on why you should 3-bet QQ.
    Moderation In Moderation
  • BFSkinnerBFSkinner Red Chipper Posts: 16 ✭✭
    edited February 9
    Fixed your post: Preflop, hero 3 bets to 40-45.

QQ is a huge hand when folded to the HJ and you are defending in the BB. If you don't 3 bet here, you are being "slightly" deceptive, but in a 1/2 live game where most of your earnings come from nut hands, not 3 betting here is pretty weak. If he 4 bets, ask yourself if he will 4 bet JJ, TT, or bluff here. If not, you can easily fold.

Also..."V bets $30. I raise to $90 (sizing issue maybe?). V tanks for a few moments and calls. At this point i'm thinking he has something like TJ+, 89s+."

If your analysis of V is correct, he never has 89s+ here, he likely doesn't even have TJ. Unless he is an absolute maniac, the weakest hand you are looking at is AJ or AK,AQ spades. Even a drunk idiot will let a weak pair go to that strong of a check raise. On the other hand, he will happily call with JJ, 55, 33, AA, KK which crush you. If he is thinking at all, he will realize stacks are going in on the turn and flat a set to stack you on the turn. (I didn't read the results).

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file