Playing Beethoven to a cow or total nonsense?

Comments

• TheGameKatTheGameKat Posts: 3,171 -
    More like Gustav Mahler possibly?

As I was watching the hand, my feeling was his turn bet limits his range to an overpair that's beating you, he hit the Q, or he just likes triple barreling. (Not very limiting, I guess, but the range is still relevant.) You know this player pool better than I do, but instinctively it feels ambitious to try and check-raise someone off a top-pair type hand, particularly when against their nonsense range you can check-call and take the pot. That said, this kind of range merge is definitely interesting.
    Moderation In Moderation
  • persuadeopersuadeo Red Chipper Posts: 4,268 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 17
    So you've chosen to use the blockers in a sensical way, and that is a fine thing in general. So nice hand.

However, you have singular problem: should you be flatting 87s from the SB and thus have it in your range?

Going further, does a straight, especially in a tournament, want to be polarized on the river?
  • hellosummer22hellosummer22 Red Chipper Posts: 45 ✭✭
    That made me think.
    I know the player pool and that was why I was mad at myself. I also capped him on Qx or 99+ and there are double-six and straight combinations down there. But I forgot one essential thing - they don't like to fold their pairs.

I think I will mix 87s with fold and call from the SB for a 2x raise. I think it makes sense to flat them vs min-raise and opponent that could make more mistakes than us post-flop.
    But what do you mean with polarized on the river? Like if I am playing this hand to defend my range?
  • persuadeopersuadeo Red Chipper Posts: 4,268 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 21
    That made me think.
    I know the player pool and that was why I was mad at myself. I also capped him on Qx or 99+ and there are double-six and straight combinations down there. But I forgot one essential thing - they don't like to fold their pairs.

I think I will mix 87s with fold and call from the SB for a 2x raise. I think it makes sense to flat them vs min-raise and opponent that could make more mistakes than us post-flop.
    But what do you mean with polarized on the river? Like if I am playing this hand to defend my range?

What i mean is, your check raises are naturally polar - it is in their very nature. So in this spot, and especially in a tournament, do you want to be all in with a straight here? Should it perform the job of the top of your range for this line and thus 88 the bottom?

Because if you do not, you don't want to take this line.
  • BFSkinnerBFSkinner Red Chipper Posts: 26 ✭✭
    If I am V in this hand, I am wondering why you waited until the river to check-raise. You must have exactly 78 to take this line as I would think a 6 or a boat wants to build a bigger pot earlier. Actually, V's river bet is pretty bad here as he likely doesn't fold out better and likely doesn't get called with worse.

I dislike the check shove as a bluff because V only has to be good here 32% of the time to call and your line is so polarized.

To fold, V has to
    -Believe you have 78 here
    -Believe you play 78 this way
    -Believe in the strength of his read that you play 78 this way.
    -Have the guts to not simply curse and mash the call button.

I don't think many V's is good enough to do this more than 32% of the time.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file