Online Poker Options for a Home Game Group?

BoilerAceBoilerAce Red Chipper Posts: 427 ✭✭✭
My home games went from taking precautions to I’m not sure if they are going to exist in a few short days. These are sad times.

Are there any options where you can play tournaments or cash online with an invite only list of homegame players? I had heard of friends back in the day that could log in to a site and play invite only tournaments…and money was taken and distributed online. I can handle the money part of it, but is there a site that will allow invite only poker games?

«1

Comments

  • TheGameKatTheGameKat Posts: 3,525 -
    BoilerAce wrote: »
    My home games went from taking precautions to I’m not sure if they are going to exist in a few short days. These are sad times.

    Are there any options where you can play tournaments or cash online with an invite only list of homegame players? I had heard of friends back in the day that could log in to a site and play invite only tournaments…and money was taken and distributed online. I can handle the money part of it, but is there a site that will allow invite only poker games?

    PokerStars.net has such a facility, plus other threads here have been recommending these various online apps/clubs.
    Moderation In Moderation
  • BoilerAceBoilerAce Red Chipper Posts: 427 ✭✭✭
    I looked through the first page and found nothing. I guess I should have searched. Thanks!
  • sfx_beigssfx_beigs Red Chipper Posts: 59 ✭✭
    I just started a PokerStars.net club for my friends. The big issue for us is you can’t play club games on the app.
  • BoilerAceBoilerAce Red Chipper Posts: 427 ✭✭✭
    The big problems for me on the pokerstars site is that you can't customize the settings enough for a cash game. I think it might be okay for a tournament... Maybe...
  • TheGameKatTheGameKat Posts: 3,525 -
    I encourage everyone with any experience of these things to chip in here. These are troubled times and it'd be great if, as a community, we could provide plenty of mutual support.
    Moderation In Moderation
  • BoilerAceBoilerAce Red Chipper Posts: 427 ✭✭✭
    Another issue with pokerstars.net is that I need chips to buy in to an event...even if I create the event. If invite my friends to play, they would have to have "play chips" too. The site is awkward definitely awkward to use.
  • TheGameKatTheGameKat Posts: 3,525 -
    BoilerAce wrote: »
    Another issue with pokerstars.net is that I need chips to buy in to an event...even if I create the event. If invite my friends to play, they would have to have "play chips" too. The site is awkward definitely awkward to use.

    I believe you can get an extra 10k free chips every 8 hours or something. Agree it's not ideal, but it has the merit of being internationally available.
    Moderation In Moderation
  • sfx_beigssfx_beigs Red Chipper Posts: 59 ✭✭
    15k every 4 hours. But it would be lovely if those requirements were waived for private games. I guess they have sweepstakes tourneys that play money can buy your way into so you need to “earn” it but in a private game, you should be able to do what you want.
  • sfx_beigssfx_beigs Red Chipper Posts: 59 ✭✭
    Another thing I’m learning about PokerStars.net. They take a rake in play money games. Even in SnGs and private games. They really want you to purchase play money chips
  • BoilerAceBoilerAce Red Chipper Posts: 427 ✭✭✭
    sfx_beigs wrote: »
    Another thing I’m learning about PokerStars.net. They take a rake in play money games. Even in SnGs and private games. They really want you to purchase play money chips

    Seriously? Wow. Thanks for the heads up on that. It looks like that is not what I'm looking for. I might actually pay a fee to use it if it was highly customizable...but it's not.
  • TheGameKatTheGameKat Posts: 3,525 -
    Not that I want to defend Stars, but I can't see any reason why anyone would need to buy play chips.
    Moderation In Moderation
  • BoilerAceBoilerAce Red Chipper Posts: 427 ✭✭✭
    TheGameKat wrote: »
    Not that I want to defend Stars, but I can't see any reason why anyone would need to buy play chips.

    If I were to create a poker tournament this Friday and all new people were playing, they would show up and not be able to play because they don't have enough play chips. It's odd to have to ask them to access the site days and advance to accumulate free chips so everyone can play. The diehards would do it but not sure about the others.
  • TheGameKatTheGameKat Posts: 3,525 -
    BoilerAce wrote: »
    TheGameKat wrote: »
    Not that I want to defend Stars, but I can't see any reason why anyone would need to buy play chips.

    If I were to create a poker tournament this Friday and all new people were playing, they would show up and not be able to play because they don't have enough play chips. It's odd to have to ask them to access the site days and advance to accumulate free chips so everyone can play. The diehards would do it but not sure about the others.

    You can't create a tournament for less than 10k chips buy-in?
    Moderation In Moderation
  • BoilerAceBoilerAce Red Chipper Posts: 427 ✭✭✭
    TheGameKat wrote: »
    BoilerAce wrote: »
    TheGameKat wrote: »
    Not that I want to defend Stars, but I can't see any reason why anyone would need to buy play chips.

    If I were to create a poker tournament this Friday and all new people were playing, they would show up and not be able to play because they don't have enough play chips. It's odd to have to ask them to access the site days and advance to accumulate free chips so everyone can play. The diehards would do it but not sure about the others.

    You can't create a tournament for less than 10k chips buy-in?

    Maybe I can. I think when I was setting it up I was confusing the tournament chips vs the buy in chips..not knowing that they were different sets of chips.
  • NTD12NTD12 Red Chipper Posts: 105 ✭✭
    I just tried and I think the min chips buy in is 20k.

    I thought about a cash game with the group that I play in at the local card room and it is easy to set up but not easy to handle the money. Venmo is the best way for the initial buy in. If you set a 100/200 play chip game and make it a 1/2 cash game is easy until someone busts out and reloads the pay chips but doesn't Venmo the banker for additional buyins. Not to mention topping off like I do. I think it would be too much to keep track of to try and play and monitor the $$

    Really a tournament is the best way using Stars...it would have to be a freezeout though also.
  • BoilerAceBoilerAce Red Chipper Posts: 427 ✭✭✭
    We are now able to play a custom invite only cash game using the website pokernow.club website while using discord for group audio. Only NLHE, It's working well so far. Just don't mention "cash" game, etc on in the chat boxes or invite lists.
  • NTD12NTD12 Red Chipper Posts: 105 ✭✭
    edited March 20
    BoilerAce wrote: »
    We are now able to play a custom invite only cash game using the website pokernow.club website while using discord for group audio. Only NLHE, It's working well so far. Just don't mention "cash" game, etc on in the chat boxes or invite lists.

    How are you handling the cash? Venmo? Paypal?

    Also how does it handle reloading? Can anyone just reload or does it need approval?

    Does it take a rake?

  • BoilerAceBoilerAce Red Chipper Posts: 427 ✭✭✭
    edited March 20
    NTD12 wrote: »
    How are you handling the cash? Venmo? Paypal?
    Also how does it handle reloading? Can anyone just reload or does it need approval?
    Does it take a rake?
    One person needs to set up the game format from the main page. We will call this guy the Organizer. This will create an internet link that the organizer sends out to the other players.

    The Organizer also needs to accept the money via paypal, venmo, etc. Once the Organizer receives the money, he can authorize the player to be able to take a seat with the correct amount of chips.

    You can reload at any time during a hand but the Organizer must again approve the amount of chips added from his side (after a deposit). If the player busts out, the Organizer again must approve the person to sit down and for the correct number of chips.

    There is no rake. The site is set up to play "play" chips. The Organizer is controlling the money in the background. away from the site. It's not the most flexible software ever, but it gets the job done. For example...2000 chips = $20. Blinds of 0.25/0.50 are show as 25/50 in chips. Just one of the quirks to work around. Unfortunately, this site doesn't have mixed games, just NLHE.
  • NTD12NTD12 Red Chipper Posts: 105 ✭✭
    BoilerAce wrote: »
    NTD12 wrote: »
    How are you handling the cash? Venmo? Paypal?
    Also how does it handle reloading? Can anyone just reload or does it need approval?
    Does it take a rake?
    One person needs to set up the game format from the main page. We will call this guy the Organizer. This will create an internet link that the organizer sends out to the other players.

    The Organizer also needs to accept the money via paypal, venmo, etc. Once the Organizer receives the money, he can authorize the player to be able to take a seat with the correct amount of chips.

    You can reload at any time during a hand but the Organizer must again approve the amount of chips added from his side (after a deposit). If the player busts out, the Organizer again must approve the person to sit down and for the correct number of chips.

    There is no rake. The site is set up to play "play" chips. The Organizer is controlling the money in the background. away from the site. It's not the most flexible software ever, but it gets the job done. For example...2000 chips = $20. Blinds of 0.25/0.50 are show as 25/50 in chips. Just one of the quirks to work around. Unfortunately, this site doesn't have mixed games, just NLHE.

    Great info thank you. I just didn’t want people to be able to add more play chips without authorization and paying more money
  • TheGameKatTheGameKat Posts: 3,525 -
    For legal reasons I am regarding all this as a purely hypothetical description of what could be done.
    Moderation In Moderation
  • BoilerAceBoilerAce Red Chipper Posts: 427 ✭✭✭
    TheGameKat wrote: »
    For legal reasons I am regarding all this as a purely hypothetical description of what could be done.

    Of course it's hypothetical.
  • sfx_beigssfx_beigs Red Chipper Posts: 59 ✭✭
    We played a club game for grins on PokerStars.net. The rake is an lol 5% uncapped. If we were ever to try and pass cash around via venmo, it would be a real pain to try and give everyone their rake back. I can’t see us playing real money anything on Stars unless it’s a tourney.
  • Doug HullDoug Hull RCP Coach Posts: 1,862 -
    https://forum.redchippoker.com/discussion/13287/corona-free-online-poker-series-every-three-days-9pm-est-mar-24th-on#latest

    I am hosting, at minimum, a series of ten homes:

    https://forum.redchippoker.com/discussion/13287/corona-free-online-poker-series-every-three-days-9pm-est-mar-24th-on#latest

    These are "play then discuss every 20 minutes" games, they look a lot like private coaching sessions at some points. Just depends on what happens.
    Co-founder Red Chip Poker,
    Author Poker Plays You Can Use
    Author Poker Workbook for Math Geeks
  • MnpokerMnpoker Red Chipper Posts: 136 ✭✭
    Played on Stars last night. 20K play chip guy in but you get 35K when you signup so no big deal. We settled on Venmo. Only thing that I didn’t like was lack of hand history info
  • persuadeopersuadeo Red Chipper Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pokerstars, under the Amaya ownership, has had one of the biggest hands in destroying online poker in the contemporary age.

    -shutting down rakeback programs while raising rake
    -shutting down game types and setting table limitations
    -encouraging non-skilled gaming

    Maybe you should take your business elsewhere and not reward this company. You can run a private app game yourself, set rake to the minimum needed to run the app, and benefit from the lack of confusion their playchip game - which is really a hypermicrostakes, rake creating model - saddles you with.
  • BoilerAceBoilerAce Red Chipper Posts: 427 ✭✭✭
    Do you have any other private game apps that you recommend?
  • TheGameKatTheGameKat Posts: 3,525 -
    As indicated elsewhere, I'm not a fan of Stars, so while I agree that some of their decisions have been bad for poker, I also think the fundamental issue is that online poker, by its very nature, contains the seeds of its own destruction.
    Moderation In Moderation
  • BoilerAceBoilerAce Red Chipper Posts: 427 ✭✭✭
    TheGameKat wrote: »
    As indicated elsewhere, I'm not a fan of Stars, so while I agree that some of their decisions have been bad for poker, I also think the fundamental issue is that online poker, by its very nature, contains the seeds of its own destruction.

    I was actually the one that was the one that wrote in and it spawned a Red Chip podcast episode about online poker. I noted in it that I didn't consider it poker at all....its a very different game. In the end, it's really tough to trust that everything is being ran fairly from the website to the HUDs and to the players playing against you.
  • TheGameKatTheGameKat Posts: 3,525 -
    BoilerAce wrote: »
    TheGameKat wrote: »
    As indicated elsewhere, I'm not a fan of Stars, so while I agree that some of their decisions have been bad for poker, I also think the fundamental issue is that online poker, by its very nature, contains the seeds of its own destruction.

    I was actually the one that was the one that wrote in and it spawned a Red Chip podcast episode about online poker. I noted in it that I didn't consider it poker at all....its a very different game. In the end, it's really tough to trust that everything is being ran fairly from the website to the HUDs and to the players playing against you.

    My concern has always been a little different.

    Live poker spent decades organically creating a sustainable equilibrium. Sure there have always been people who (literally?) lost the farm by playing the game, but as a form of entertainment, the pace of the live game ensures that you can play at stakes that make the game financially interesting, be pretty bad at it, and still fly to Vegas multiple times a year to indulge your poker passion.

    Online poker took the same rules and accelerated the game massively. One result is that millions of people who may have played poker for their entire lives basically quit the game after a couple of years.

    Add in the chicanery from Full Tilt, Ultimate/Absolute, Lock... and my contention is that, from a big picture perspective, online poker has done more harm than good. Not a popular opinion, I know.
    Moderation In Moderation
  • BoilerAceBoilerAce Red Chipper Posts: 427 ✭✭✭
    TheGameKat wrote: »
    My concern has always been a little different.

    Live poker spent decades organically creating a sustainable equilibrium. Sure there have always been people who (literally?) lost the farm by playing the game, but as a form of entertainment, the pace of the live game ensures that you can play at stakes that make the game financially interesting, be pretty bad at it, and still fly to Vegas multiple times a year to indulge your poker passion.

    Online poker took the same rules and accelerated the game massively. One result is that millions of people who may have played poker for their entire lives basically quit the game after a couple of years.

    Add in the chicanery from Full Tilt, Ultimate/Absolute, Lock... and my contention is that, from a big picture perspective, online poker has done more harm than good. Not a popular opinion, I know.

    You make an amazingly good point here. I personally would love to be able to play online and enjoy myself like I do in a home or card room. But it's not like that online even for a live winning player like myself. I can't imagine what it's like for the players that lose in the cardrooms or in home games. The losses must be massive and quick per the reasons that you said...more hands, more losses,etc. I'm on your side with this.

    I also really hate online because of having to play at such low stakes compared to live. I won't dare to ever play 200NL online. I can't even beat 50NL. I dabble in playing 25PLOmaha8 just to pass the time and get better at the game, and even at that I'm break even. I hate that we're in this Covid situation...online should be an alternate place to play but it's really not.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Image
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file