2 people limped, the SB limped, and I checked in the BB with
:AS::AC::9H::8D::6D:
(this is a crap hand in case you were wondering.) The flop was
:AD::4H::AH:
I bet the pot, and only the SB called.
Turn :AD::4H::AH::TS:
I bet pot SB called.
River :AD::4H::AH::TS::3C:
she had less than pot left and pushed it in.

She had :KD::TD::9D::5H::2H:

You may be wondering what the hell this has to do with position since the result would have been the same either way.

First of all, 99% of players are going to check that flop. That's mistake number one, as you still have to protect your share of the pot against a low, and you will get value calls. If you're lucky someone will have 44 (which isn't all that unlikely 4 ways with 5 cards). But myriad lows and low straight draws and flush draws will often call. This is an extreme example and you could come up with scenarios where you might make more money by letting the lows get there and quartering them (not heads up though). If they're good enough to fold a low draw to a bet here, they're probably good enough to not get quartered later too.

Generally speaking, slowplaying is not a very good idea in Omaha Hi/Lo.

A corollary to that regards bluffing. If slowplaying is not a good idea because you'll get value called so often, then it makes sense that bluffing is not a good idea. Which generally speaking is true. "Bluffing" with a nut one way hand to scoop the pot is a little different.

So we should not often slowplay, and we should not often bluff. The consequence of that is when we're first to act, our hands are tied (ha) and we must play straightforwardly. If there is one thing you'd like your opponents to do, it's play straightforwardly. Even if you flop the naked nut low, you cannot lead out into the field. Sometimes you can't even do that with the nut high if it's a straight.

Therefore, if you're last to act, you have very reliable information to act on. Your OOP opponents have a choice of playing straightforwardly with you, or playing badly. (Note that these are also your 2 choices when OOP.)

IMO position is even more important than in games like Holdem, where your holding can be more hidden. The blinds are generally a very bad place to play. In a game with a button straddle, it just destroys the blinds and you can gain an advantage over your opponents simply by folding a ton here and letting your opponents call here too often. UTG has to be very tight either way.

BTW, with regard to my comment about this starting hand being "crap", don't forget we lost money on this hand.

Comments

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file