Tilt Journal anyone?

ROI RUINERROI RUINER Red Chipper Posts: 214 ✭✭
I heard about keeping one of these and am considering it. I had a 5bi losing session tonight and got my stack in as the +70% favorite a few times and then tilt affected my play on a few others.

It happens. It is what it is. I just need to get better with tilt. Poker is important to me and I take it personal and it’s a big let down etc etc.

It’s what I signed up for when I decided to play poker so I need to get better with this. I’m addressing it sporadically and not effectively apparently but I need to make it a priority. It’s probably my biggest leak right now.

So the Tilt Journal. I heard about these and wondered how effective they are. If so does anyone have any suggestions on how to format it if it should be formatted at all?

I’m all in on whatever it takes to be a better poker player. Any other suggestions are definitely welcome.
Tagged:

Comments

• blindraiseblindraise Red Chipper Posts: 285 ✭✭
    Its hard to detach yourself emotionally.

Until you can smile through a fish sucking out, a reg outplaying you, or you doing something as simple as misclicking etc., try a simple exercise:

The next time you feel emotion, be it positive or negative, close your laptop. Meditate on it. Walk around your house. Make a sandwich, write in your tilt journal. Let the emotion pass naturally. Then get back to it.
  • SplitSuitSplitSuit RCP Coach Posts: 4,069 -
    To add on to @blindraise ...

When you feel any sort of tilt (poker or non-poker sourced), stop and ask yourself "why" 3-5 times and do your best to give objective answers to each. E.g., you get all-in on the turn with 80% equity, lose, and notice tilt creeping in.

1. Why am I feeling angry? I lost with an edge.
    2. Why does losing with an edge bother me? Because I never hit when I'm the one with 20% equity.
    3. Why does it bother me that I never win when behind? ...

Around the third "why" you start to find mental leaks, and around the fifth "why" you start to see personal shortcomings. Using poker tilt as a means to finding non-poker tilt issues (and then fixing them, ofc) is super beneficial.
    📑 Grab my custom poker spreadsheet pack right now.
    📘 Start the Preflop & Math Poker Workbook today.
  • ROI RUINERROI RUINER Red Chipper Posts: 214 ✭✭
    Good advice guys.

I’m checking out some of the mental game videos and am going to keep this journal. Taking a break even if it’s for a few minutes is definitely a simple but great idea. I try to tell myself to relax but it doesn’t work because I’m so in to the game.

I remember struggling to keep a bankroll for 10nl and now I’m playing 50nl. Life isn’t horrible right now.

I want to be good at this.
    I gave this a shot and learned something about myself that is concrete and I can recognize it and counter it.

My reads on my opponents actions are pretty good. I pick up on their actions and what they mean and then I start to try to “outplay” and start making moves that are way above their heads so what would work on a good thinking player just ends up backfiring in my face.

And example is I had 99 on the button and got 3bet from the SB and the player had a ridiculous % of 3betting from the SB. So I 4bet my 99 to a large sizing. I’m thinking he has to fold. But being a rec player he doesn’t of course and binks a J with his QJ on the flop after I ship it thinking it was a safe board.

Now I’m tilted and angry at my opponents play but in his mind it’s a good play. So my play would have probably been correct vs someone that knows QJ is a fold but my opponent was thinks differently about QJ. That’s why they are so profitable to play against.

So now I know an action, my response to the action and the feeling and the flaws in it. That would have been a common spot over and over when I am in those situations had I not started this journal.

So if anyone has an issue with tilt I think keeping a journal is very valuable.
  • RyanH1995RyanH1995 Red Chipper Posts: 84 ✭✭
    Could you post the hand history? While villain may have just been a spazz who was 3betting insanely wide I think there is more to analyze in this spot. What was his 3bet % and how large of a sample was it? In a spot like sb v btn he should be 3betting aggressively and QJs is a fine 3bet. What do you think his range is when he calls your 4bet? Do you think he always shoves JJ-AA pre? At low stakes it seems unlikely that most players will stack off with worse than 99 in a 4bet pot.
    It looks bad and spewy but I know there is a high likelihood he is holding a hand that has to fold to the sizing. Im thinking suited connectors, suited A's etc. I should have thought QJ but the SPR was so low it was get it in or fold and I am expecting to be good on this board.

These games are so wild right now. I dropped down in stakes because I can not figure out how to beat them. This thread is in regards to my mental game so I'll post the hand but don't want the thread to lose it's original intent.

Hand History driven straight to this forum with DriveHUD Poker HUD and Database Software

NL Holdem $0.50(BB)
    CO ($30.57) [VPIP: 42.5% | PFR: 15.1% | AGG: 20.2% | Flop Agg: 19.4% | Turn Agg: 18.5% | River Agg: 23.8% | 3-Bet: 5.9% | 4-Bet: 0% | Hands: 110]
    HERO ($50) [VPIP: 23.5% | PFR: 17.9% | AGG: 34.7% | Flop Agg: 33.9% | Turn Agg: 41.9% | River Agg: 25.4% | 3-Bet: 5.7% | 4-Bet: 13.6% | Fold to 4-Bet: 43.6% | Hands: 30323]
    SB ($87.69) [VPIP: 19.2% | PFR: 15.3% | AGG: 38% | Flop Agg: 39.4% | Turn Agg: 45.5% | River Agg: 25.7% | 3-Bet: 10.4% | Fold to 3-Bet: 50% | 4-Bet: 0% | Hands: 364]
    BB ($50) [VPIP: 22.6% | PFR: 12.9% | AGG: 30% | Flop Agg: 16.7% | Turn Agg: 66.7% | River Agg: 0% | 3-Bet: 0% | 4-Bet: 0% | Hands: 31]
    HJ ($55.73) [VPIP: 35% | PFR: 27.5% | AGG: 38.6% | Flop Agg: 40.7% | Turn Agg: 33.3% | River Agg: 41.7% | 3-Bet: 13% | 4-Bet: 0% | Hands: 80]

Dealt to Hero: :9H::9D:

HJ Folds, CO Folds, HERO Raises To $1.50, SB Raises To $6, BB Folds, HERO Raises To $16, SB Calls $10

Hero SPR on Flop: [1.05 effective]
    Flop ($32.50): :5H::8D::JC:
    SB Checks, HERO Bets $34 (allin), SB Calls $34 (Rem. Stack: 37.69)

Turn ($100.50): :KS:
    River ($100.50): :JD:
    SB shows: J:spade: Q:spade:

SB wins: $98
  • March422March422 Red Chipper Posts: 34 ✭✭
    edited April 12
    I would like to point out something maybe a flaw in your thought process brought on by you tilting.

ROI RUINER wrote: »

And example is I had 99 on the button and got 3bet from the SB and the player had a ridiculous % of 3betting from the SB. So I 4bet my 99 to a large sizing. I’m thinking he has to fold. But being a rec player he doesn’t of course and binks a J with his QJ on the flop after I ship it thinking it was a safe board.

I think there are 2 strategies you could take here and in your post you kind of are saying your using both strategies at once

If you want a fold I think something like ATo is better suited for this purpose bc it has meh value and takes advantage of blockers. Or maybe since V is so loose you bluff catch AT and 4b something weaker with blockers. 99 to me is more of a hand we want to balance our bluff catching range with.

Or this :
    If they call QJo they prob call smaller pp, A. rag suited aswell so just merge and go to value town and expect a bunch of variance.

If using this approach I dont think you can be upset losing this pot. But you came at it like youre trying to get him to fold which is not what you're doing when you decide to 4b 99. You're merging and going for thin value. Sometimes youre gona get burned. If you melt bc you cant handle losing a buyin on a flip situation, which you created and rightly so apparently, then you lose your edge and just start spewing.

• RyanH1995RyanH1995 Red Chipper Posts: 84 ✭✭
    I agree with @March422 I think this hand plays better as a call. It is pretty difficult to range this villain once you 4bet. His call with QJ is probably really bad considering how tight 4bet ranges are at these stakes but he doesn't seem to care. If he is calling QJs is he calling all suited broadways and suited Ax? I think its easier to just call pre and play a pot in position rather than 4bet a hand like this and play a guessing game post flop.
    Just had to jump out of a game. Ran 42bbs/100 under all in EV in 347 hands. The river card spanked me every time. Over 21,000 hands In still winning at 100bb/100 (all in EV is 12.44bb/100).

I found myself firing in to a pot that was a very clear check. Then recognized it and immediately shut down and am taking a break.

I guess this is the price you pay to play in fishy games but it’s pretty frustrating.

There’s definitely a mental reaction when you have a doubled or tripled up stack and it’s grinded down in 2 or 3 hands when you were 80+% on the turn or get coolered after raising preflop 10bbs at a table with whales that call everything to be called by Q2o and 3 Qs hit the board while you have Aces full for the second nuts.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file