Hero (BB) ($2.35): Calls with :2s:3H:

Pot~ $.22
Flop: :9S::5D::4D:

Hero (BB): Checks
Villain (Button): Bets $.10
Hero: Raises to $.41
Villain 4 bets to $1.10
Hero: Calls

I know that I wasn't getting the correct odds to make this call but didn't really believe my opponent could have much here other than a big pocket pair/ flush draw and wanted to see one more card.

Pot~ $2.42
Turn: :9S::5D::4D::TS:

Hero: Checks mentally giving this hand up
Villain: Checks

When the villain checked back, I believed that they had given up too and was convinced that they had air.

River: Turn: :9S::5D::4D::TS::KS:

Hero: Goes All in for $1.15 based on my read
Villain: Takes some time thinking before folding

After writing this I think I was gambling with this hand more than anything and wanted to know if you all saw things differently than I did.

Comments

• RedRed Red Chipper Posts: 2,317 ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 5
    Giving action with 32o ?!? This hand is just trash and you just spewed.
    Yeah, you won the hand, but this doesn't mean you played it well.

Sure, the preflop call seems appealing because it's cheap - only 1 bb to win 4.5bb - , so your pot odds are great (22.2%). But...
    • Against what range (Villain's open range from BU) do you think you have enough equity to be +EV with 32o? And don't forget do correct aka lower your (raw) equity since you are OOP.
    • Furthermore, even if you would be able to find enough equity (if even possible), will you really be able to go to showdown and realize your equity with 32o? What do you do when you don't hit the flop? What when you hit only a bottom pair or a gutshot for the nut low ? What when you hit an OESD but 2 outs are traps (-> :DIAMOND: FD) ?
    • If you think "but if I hit hard, my hand will be disguised and he will pay!" you're right. Yet how often do you think you "hit hard" aka hit 2P+ ?
    • You're playing 47bb eff... !! At such depth, even the medium suited connectors like 98s aren't that good. Let alone a combo as low as 32s. Even worst when it's offsuit. Even worst when OOP.

So, if you want to improve:
    - Just stop play trash. One of the first motto for poker beginner is "Tight is Right".
    - Study some poker material to give you some insights and knowledge about what could be your BB range and how to play from BB. I don't know if this is a subject by RCP CORE ( @TheGameKat ?), but you find such almost all books and coaching videos for beginners. (Based on my early days of studying, I'd suggest Jonathan Little: "Strategies for Beating Small Stakes Poker Cash Games").
    Dinnertime wrote: »
    I know that I wasn't getting the correct odds to make this call but ...
    Which translates in "I know my play was bad and I'm only losing money, but I'm finding bad excuses to do it anyway".
    If you know your play is -EV, then don't do it... !?!

(I mean you can do it; you so turn NHLE poker into a luck box and give up on improving your game. At this point, NHLE is no more different to "Ultimate Texas Hold'Em". You can enjoy it - many do -, but then posting hand history to get feedbacks makes little sens since you're just gambling)
  • TheGameKatTheGameKat Posts: 3,407 -
    @Red the CORE recommendations, particularly preflop and for newer players, definitely fall under "tight is right". As the course develops, we encourage more ambitious lines, but 32o is never going to be part of the plan.
    Moderation In Moderation
  • BFSkinnerBFSkinner Red Chipper Posts: 68 ✭✭
    I know that I wasn't getting the correct odds to make this call but didn't really believe my opponent could have much here other than a big pocket pair/ flush draw and wanted to see one more card.

Just in case he had a big pocket pair like aces which kills 2 outs?

Hero: Goes All in for $1.15 based on my read

Do you sincerely believe that opponent is folding more than 34% of the time here?
  • kenaceskenaces Red Chipper Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭✭
    Like everyone said fold preflop

And, don't waste limited study time on post-flop in spots you should never be in, to begin with

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file