2NL 6max Zoom Query

theocreswelltheocreswell Red Chipper Posts: 3 ✭✭
edited May 9 in Online Poker Hands
2NL 6max Zoom on pokerstars - no previous play with villain and no hud stats.

H: $3.59 UTG :Ad:Qc
V: $1.57 CO

H open $0.05 UTG, V in CO Min3Bets to $0.08 Folds to me, I call.

Villain has less that 100BB & Min3Bet, I figure them for a fish. I am pretty thrown by the min3bet. not sure what kind of range they could have, 88+, A5s+(most suited aces), KQs, AQo+?

Pot: $0.19
Flop: :4d:As:Ts

I check to V, V bets $0.08, I call

I'm assuming, given the preflop actions V is betting the majority of their range TT+, Axs, KsdQsd, AQo+ or wider. I call, given that I am ahead of this range.

Pot: $0.35
Turn: :4d:As:Ts:7c

I check to V, V bets $0.16, I call.

I think JJ, QQ, low Ax slow down on the turn, and I am giving fish more credit with their turn bets. I have found they know about Cbetting the flop, so do this wide, and then slow down massively on the turn.

Pot: $0.67
River: :4d:As:Ts:7c:8d

I check to V, V bets $0.64, I fold

I am tending to give fish credit for bigger bets, If I'm honest I think my two main problems were that I wasn't thinking ahead enough during the hand, I was reacting, and that I was so lost because of the preflop min3bet. I am thinking that V won't have made a hand with the 8d, so is either firing the third barrel of a big bluff, or is betting big to make up for the lost value on the earlier streets due to the half pot bet sizing. I tend not to put fish on a bluff all that often. I know I could have played this more proactively and would love some thoughts on the hand. My hand ranging during the hand wasn't as precise as this, but pretty close. I would love to know what could have been done differently, and with different bet sizing on the river, what would have been a good play (e.g. if V bet 2/3 pot) I think I would have still folded, If anything that sizing looks even more value heavy, but I'm not sure if that would have been right.

Its my first post so I would love some feedback on the structure of the post as well as the content.

Comments

• TheGameKatTheGameKat Posts: 3,404 -
    For a seemingly simple hand, I find this one quite interesting.

The default is that against weak players, we don't pay off big bets. So on that basis alone a river fold has to be okay. As you detail, this player hasn't topped off, and they make a bizarre play pre. (In the absence of the odd stack, we'd probably have to allow the possibility the click-back was a misclick, but with all respect to the OP, the fact this is 2NL probably suggests we're not dealing with a tough player.)

All that said, one of the problems with weak players is that a subset vastly overvalue hands, particularly such as top pair. Or simply do things that are unpredictable.

As to playing the hand more proactively, I think your line is fine. You're OOP with a capped range and thus are somewhat hemmed in. I think your decisions on each street are correct and your HH formatting is easy to follow, which is much appreciated. For the hypothetical of a smaller river bet, there's a break-point somewhere such that calling becomes better, but I'm not sure what it is.
    Moderation In Moderation
  • BFSkinnerBFSkinner Red Chipper Posts: 68 ✭✭
    V min 3-bets pre, half pots flop, half pots turn, and pots river after no draws come through.

You are bluff catching the whole way. Does AK or TT play this way? If opponent is a fish, why do they not bet bigger to price out FD? To me, this looks like a busted flush draw or an oddly played set of 88.
  • Venkvisw22Venkvisw22 Red Chipper Posts: 7 ✭✭
    My line would have been raising the turn ($0.4) and folding to re-raise....If called would have gone for a thin value bet on the river and folded to a raise...Not sure how many would agree to this line. The idea is that the turn raise would give me information. If the villain is bluffing he would probably go away on the turn raise and further I would get the lead on the river where I can size my value bet to be somewhere between a blocker bet and thin value ($0.35/0.4). If raised it is a clear fold for me...else at least I would have taken this hand to showdown with a reasonable holding
  • TheGameKatTheGameKat Posts: 3,404 -
    Venkvisw22 wrote: »
    My line would have been raising the turn ($0.4) and folding to re-raise....If called would have gone for a thin value bet on the river and folded to a raise...Not sure how many would agree to this line. The idea is that the turn raise would give me information. If the villain is bluffing he would probably go away on the turn raise and further I would get the lead on the river where I can size my value bet to be somewhere between a blocker bet and thin value ($0.35/0.4). If raised it is a clear fold for me...else at least I would have taken this hand to showdown with a reasonable holding

Is this a desirable outcome?
    Moderation In Moderation
  • theocreswelltheocreswell Red Chipper Posts: 3 ✭✭
    TheGameKat Thanks for the feedback, I'm glad you mostly agree with the line of thinking, and thanks for the insight into misclicks. I didn't give that much thought.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file