Tips for quitting a session

Dark_SaintDark_Saint Red Chipper Posts: 5 ✭✭
Hi All,

I seem to continually have this issue (live & online) where I can’t seem to stop playing while I’m up. I can sort of narrow it down to two reasons: 1 - I just like playing poker and don’t stop until I have to sleep (online) or leave to go home (live) & 2 - I’ll be in profit X amount and when my stack drops, I want to try get back to where I was.

Example last night I was playing online .30/.60 ran my stack up to roughly $800, dropped back to about $300, got back up to about $700 and ended up ending my session at $450. This also meant I went to sleep 4 hours later then I normally would.

Does anyone have practical tips or tricks for ending a session? Especially while in profit.

Regards
Matt

Comments

• TheGameKatTheGameKat Posts: 3,403 -
    Pretty sure Tommy Angelo has written about this.

So much of the answer is likely personal. When I was a lot younger and frequently missed sleep for multiple reasons, I gave myself permission to play all night if the game was good. Could always sleep during a faculty meeting.

In terms of how you let your current win/loss impact your decisions, I think that's something to handle carefully, since forms of tilt can come into play. For example, the classic "upstuck" situation you describe is one many players struggle with. It would be nice to end every session at the peak of our stack, but it's not very practical. Besides, if you had that sort of prescience, there'd be far easier ways to make money.
    Moderation In Moderation
  • Dark_SaintDark_Saint Red Chipper Posts: 5 ✭✭
    Do you know if it was in a book or an article that he wrote about it?

I realise its more of a personal thing you have to combat yourself. Was looking for tactics that people might have used, for instance one thing I can think of is every time you get to a certain stack size you allow yourself to drop to X amount/BB and if you drop to that, you be disciplined enough to end your session.

I guess it might just come down to what works for me.
  • SplitSuitSplitSuit RCP Coach Posts: 4,057 -
    While we don't give an easy/objective answer to this question, Doug and I discuss quitting sessions a bit in this podcast episode: https://redchippoker.com/buy-in-cash-out-poker-podcast/
    📑 Grab my custom poker spreadsheet pack right now.
    📘 Start the Preflop & Math Poker Workbook today.
  • TheGameKatTheGameKat Posts: 3,403 -
    Dark_Saint wrote: »
    Do you know if it was in a book or an article that he wrote about it?

I realise its more of a personal thing you have to combat yourself. Was looking for tactics that people might have used, for instance one thing I can think of is every time you get to a certain stack size you allow yourself to drop to X amount/BB and if you drop to that, you be disciplined enough to end your session.

I guess it might just come down to what works for me.

Pretty sure there's a section in "Elements of Poker" on the topic.
    Moderation In Moderation
  • Dark_SaintDark_Saint Red Chipper Posts: 5 ✭✭
    Awesome guys!! Appreciate the help.
  • sfx_beigssfx_beigs Red Chipper Posts: 54 ✭✭
    It is in Angelo’s Elements of Poker. Right at the beginning and it might be the single best piece of advice I have read. He devoted a lot of words to not just knowing how to quit, but why and how waiting longer to quit regardless of your current stack situation is illogical.

• blindraiseblindraise Red Chipper Posts: 259 ✭✭
    If you wanna end a session end it, if you dont then dont.
  • kenaceskenaces Red Chipper Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭✭
    sfx_beigs wrote: »
    It is in Angelo’s Elements of Poker. Right at the beginning and it might be the single best piece of advice I have read. He devoted a lot of words to not just knowing how to quit, but why and how waiting longer to quit regardless of your current stack situation is illogical.

That is still me favorite poker book:)
  • RosyRosy Red Chipper Posts: 16 ✭✭
    You can try setting a timer. It has really interesting results that happen without you trying for them.

I set a timer for live sessions for 6 hours. After a few months, I became less interested whether I won or lost for the day. I knew they would be playing again tomorrow, and if I got good sleep I was likely to play better in two 6-hour sessions than one 12-hour session. This was in the before times, grr...

This equanimity was not the result of effort. It happened all by itself. The only effort was remembering to set the timer when I sat down. And losing my attachment to daily results made me a much nicer person to live with, I think.
  • BoilerAceBoilerAce Red Chipper Posts: 426 ✭✭✭
    My only tip is if you ever start thinking about quitting for the session, it's time to quit. Don't play 15 more minutes, or 6 more hands. The session is over and it's time to leave. (That came from Angelo's book too I think)
  • sfx_beigssfx_beigs Red Chipper Posts: 54 ✭✭
    It really is the best advice. I’ve lost so much money because I’m getting ready to leave and I notice the Dodger or USC game is about to end and traffic will suck. So I stay another hour and then hate myself way more than I would if I just sat in bad traffic.
  • singularitysingularity Red Chipper Posts: 3 ✭✭
    In live poker, I just quit when there are no more whales at the table. I just really have no problem playing for 16 hour sessions or longer. I usually try to target poker rooms who give bonuses for just sitting for a number of hours at the table anyway.

I was quitting when I dropped 3 stacks before, but I noticed that crazy enough, if I begin a poker session dropping 2 or 3 stacks real fast, those are typically my most profitable nights.

What I try to do if there are no whales at the table is to first think about if I am still able to play profitably. If I am able to play profitably still I don't leave until I am on the verge of being too tired to drive home, then I chug a couple of coffees and leave.

The strategy works for me. Not sure if I am alone in this.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file