.5/.10 NL was this a good spot to bluff?

PsullivanPsullivan Red Chipper Posts: 6 ✭✭
Hero in the CO w/ :Qc:Qh opens $.35 ($9.95 behind)

Button Calls ($24.95 behind)
BB Calls ($9.00) Behind

Flop comes :8s:4c:6h

Checks to Hero and Cbets for $.92
Button Folds
Villain in BB calls Turn comes Ac, Board is now 8s 4c 6h Ac
Villian leads out for $1.37 (Half Pot)
Hero Calls

River comes 7s
Board is now 8s 4c 6h Ac 7s

Villian checks
Hero jams for a $6.41 into a $5.36 pot
Villian tanks for a bit and makes the call and shows AK

Curious if I made a good play here trying to bluff? When he checked the river, I thought he might have TT or a weak A. I thought it was as good spot to jam because I feel like I was repping the straight the whole way. Does my more than pot size jam make it look more bluffy?
I also knew that the only way to win the pot was to bet the river, or would this be an acceptable spot to just check back since I have some show down value with QQ?

Look forward to hearing some feedback.

Comments

• RyanH1995RyanH1995 Red Chipper Posts: 89 ✭✭
    There is no reason to put anymore money in the pot after villain checks to you on the river. You have showdown value and this board heavily favors his range. The river puts 4 to a straight on the board and will also give villain some two pair combos like 87 and 76. I don't really see you arriving at the river with any 5x hands that play this way besides 75. 65, 55 and 54 probably wouldn't bet the flop at all and most likely not for that size especially multiway. The flop is also pretty bad for your range considering both your opponents will have all sets and two pair combos at a higher frequency than you. I think checking or betting smaller would be better.
  • kenaceskenaces Red Chipper Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭✭
    You have way too much showdown value with a river check back to want to bluff with QQ in this spot.
  • TonyGTonyG Red Chipper Posts: 16 ✭✭
    Thanks for sharing PSullivan. I think Villian played this well electing to check/call the river. You're not going to have very many 5s in your range, so to balance it, your bluffs should be limited to situations where you have little to no showdown value (SDV). I'm struggling to think of hands that would be good bluff candidates here; maybe if you had something like 69 or 79 of clubs?

Regardless, I agree with those above. QQ has way too much SDV to need to bluff and its far too weak to be a value jam. You could consider a thin value bet on the river as an alternative to checking, but I don't think its the best spot.

He is not always going to have TT or a weak A here. There some hands like club draws that pick up equity on the turn that decide to give up and some weak one pair hands that you beat by checking river.
  • PsullivanPsullivan Red Chipper Posts: 6 ✭✭
    Thanks fort the feedbcak, appreciate it! Definitely understand that checking back the river is probably the smart play. I appreciate the insight about ranges and combos etc, definitely a weak part of my game is recognizing stuff like that as playing
  • RosyRosy Red Chipper Posts: 16 ✭✭
    Hi Psullivan, thanks for sharing this hand.

Not to hammer on it too much, we agree that checking the river would have been better. But I think there are a couple other things worth paying attention to as well.

Psullivan wrote: »
    Turn comes Ac, Board is now 8s 4c 6h Ac
    Villian leads out for $1.37 (Half Pot)
    Hero Calls

River comes 7s
    Board is now 8s 4c 6h Ac 7s

Villian checks
    Hero jams for a $6.41 into a $5.36 pot

I thought it was as good spot to jam because I feel like I was repping the straight the whole way.

I'm not convinced you were repping the straight as hard as you think you were. Is 75 in your CO opening range 100bbs deep?
    If so would you bet that large, 85% pot as a C-bet? That would be a gin flop and on a rainbow texture there aren't too many cards you would be afraid of. Surely you would bet but such a large bet looks more like a hand that is afraid of getting outdrawn (like your overpair, or sets) than a hand that flopped the nuts. If you had bet 40% of the pot, I would be more inclined to believe a straight.

Also, when the Ace comes and you get donked into for half pot, if you had the straight would you really just call? I think it would be more likely you would put in a small raise to either induce a 3 bet from Villain or make for a smoother 75% all in bet on the river. I also think a straight might raise this turn because the ace put a flush draw on board.
    Psullivan wrote: »
    I also knew that the only way to win the pot was to bet the river, or would this be an acceptable spot to just check back since I have some show down value with QQ?

I agree with you that it might be the only way to win the pot, but I don't think that's the best way to assess the situation. I also don't think that is a good reason to bet, but that's another conversation. Regardless, when you make a bet for that reason, you need your opponent to fold a hand better than yours. The only hand I can think of would be a weak ace, as you identified. Problem is, most of the weak aces improved to 2 pair or a straight on that river card if they weren't 2 pair already, and it's unreasonable to expect those hands to fold. The only hands that might fold are the ones your QQ would beat (you mentioned TT) and those are precisely the hands we don't want to fold. But, I'm not convinced TT would donk that ace and other posters have already analyzed that part. And even a weak ace that isn't 2 pair . . . I don't know, I don't generally have a lot of success bluffing people off top pair on the river. I have a lot more success getting them to call with top pairs that can't beat my hand on the river.

Thanks for the hand, good luck!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file