NL5 Have value hand but should I keep betting if I block flushes on turn!!

IrishboxmanIrishboxman Red Chipper Posts: 8 ✭✭
So I have been in this spot or very similar ones before and I feel like I always make this mistake. But I would love if you guys nailed down exactly how many mistakes I made here. I ran it through poker snowie and have seen there are many leaks in my line.

No Limit Hold'em $0.02/$0.05
PokerStars
8 players
Formatted by pokercopilot.com: Poker HUD for Mac and Windows

Stacks:
UTG - UTG ($5.20)
UTG+1 - Hero ($6.40)
MP - MP ($4.52)
MP2 - MP2 ($10.06)
CO - CO ($4.12)
BTN - BTN ($4.69)
SB - SB ($15.02)
BB - BB ($5.00)

Preflop: ($0.07, 8 players) Hero is UTG+1 with Qd Kc
UTG raises to $0.15, Hero calls $0.15, 2 folds, CO calls $0.15, BTN calls $0.15, 2 folds

- KQ off is the bottom of my calling range especially against the UTG range, UTG player is an unknown so I put him on a relatively strong range. I have the CO player marked as a big fish.

Flop: Kd Qc 8d ($0.67, 4 players - CO: $3.97, BTN: $4.54, UTG: $5.05, Hero: $6.25)
UTG bets $0.21, Hero raises to $0.70, CO calls $0.70, 1 fold, UTG calls $0.49

So I flop top two, UTG c-bets for 21c, I putting him on AK and raise (poker snowie said this was wrong and upon reflection, I agree. But I was thinking that I can both get action from worse and induce mistakes from the CO fish player.

Turn: 9d ($2.77, 3 players - CO: $3.27, UTG: $4.35, Hero: $5.55)
UTG checks, Hero bets $1.30, CO calls $1.30, UTG raises to $4.35 (all-in), Hero raises to $5.55 (all-in), CO calls $1.97 (all-in), Uncalled bet of $1.20 returned to Hero

So the flush/straight comes in on the turn, I do stop, this isn't an instant bet imo. BUT HERE IS MY MAIN QUESTION!!

- I have the Q of diamonds, in my mind this blocks some of the flush draws and with the fish in the mix I think I can get value out of big single diamond cards and AK/K9 ect....

Plus and this could be wrong too, but if I am bet folding top 2 here, what am I calling with? I have the Q of diamonds and I don't think the UTG player is raising any two suited cards UTG

FIsh calls, then UTG player raises, BALLS!
SO I now hate this spot which I created by betting the turn, I think I am ahead of the fish most of the time but the UTG player can still have sets of KK/QQ straights and some flushes. I do think he could do this with K9. I probably should be letting it go but the Q of diamonds weighed heavy on my mind so I pitch in a call :(

River: 5s ($14.74, 3 players, 2 all-in - CO: $0.00, UTG: $0.00, Hero: $1.20)

Total Pot: $14.74
UTG shows 3d 4d (a flush, King high)
Hero shows Qd Kc (two pair, Kings and Queens)
CO shows Kh Td (a pair of Kings)

UTG wins $2.07 from side pot
UTG wins $12.06 from main pot

DO I keep betting value hands if I block big flushes??

thanks guys.
Tagged:

Comments

• NinjahNinjah Red Chipper Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭✭
    There's a lot more going on in this hand that we need to address than you blocking a flush.

Preflop is meh but you wanted to keep the fish in the hand so I get it. On the flop, UTG bets OOP into two players. He has more nutted combos than you so I don't like this raise.... it also gives the fish a chance to get out of the hand. Would much rather see a call on the flop.

Turn is a pretty bad card for you so it's time to slow down. Flushes get there and with the Ad unaccounted for, there are still several FD available. You realistically only block two vs UTG -AQ and QJ. The straight also comes in, which makes up a portion of both of your opponents ranges. It's hard to say what I'd do given the action because I would have played the hand completely different. I think several mistakes got compounded here which led to you losing your stack. I also wouldn't assume that anyone at 5NL is opening tight until they prove otherwise... just a tip.
  • TonyGTonyG Red Chipper Posts: 12 ✭✭
    Tough spot here, thanks for posting. A couple things that jump out at me:

1) While you note KQ is at the bottom of your pre-flop calling range, I question whether it should be part of it. It stacks up poorly against a UTG open and with 6 more players behind, you will often get squeezed. I'm a 6-max player myself and if I'm in the HJ with KQ vs. a UTG open, I'm mixing in some folds and calls depending on the situation. So would expect that you should be leaning more towards folds here on a bigger table.
    Last point I'll make on this is that you sound like you're a decent micro-stakes player. I'm sure you make most of your money on "homerun" spots with the nuts. At these stakes I don't think its ever a bad play to fold these borderline spots and focus your efforts on the spots you can print.

2) I don't think the turn bet is a huge mistake. Ninjah makes some good points against it and I can see the merits of both betting and checking. The major mistake is dumping your stack in after getting check-raised by UTG. I've found that check-raises in micro-stakes are almost always nutted. I would seriously question whether he is jamming anything that you beat. Keep in mind that you cover both of the face cards on the board, so its much more likely that he was on a draw on the flop. The 9d completes not only the flush, but JT straight.
  • IrishboxmanIrishboxman Red Chipper Posts: 8 ✭✭
    Thanks for the advice guys, I'll keep working on it and focus more on letting marginal spots go. I definitely put too much weight on having the Q of diamonds.

If they can't legitimately rep any bluffs then I should just be letting it go to the re-raise.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file