50NL Contemplating a Hero Call

NinjahNinjah Red Chipper Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭✭
edited May 19 in Online Poker Hands
It's been ages (over a year, at least) since I've posted a hand history so I thought I'd share one from last night. No real history between Hero and Villain. He's been limping a good bit with weak hands and calling raises a good bit with weak hands. Saw him win a 3b pot with a hand that probably should have never seen the flop and he's made some questionable decisions post.

His sizing and his line make very little sense to me and I'm having a hard time putting him on a range (I just started playing again so I'll admit I'm rusty) but given the line I'm contemplating a hero call...but what are his bluffs? Would you play this differently and would you consider calling this river?

50NL 6 max, V ($133) limps on BTN, SB folds, Hero BB ($84) :AC::TC: raises to $2.50, V calls

Flop ($5.25): :7S::3C::9S: H bets $2, V calls

Probably a better flop for him overall as he could have easily limp/called pre with 97 and 73s but he also has a ton of air, random straight/flush draws, and will float overs. I flopped two overs with BDFD and BDSD so I elect to cbet.

Turn ($9.25): :6H: H checks, V checks

I turn a gutter but nothing else really going for me. Turn is much, much better for him has he could turn some straights and even more two pair combos now. I would expect him to bet this turn at a high frequency and he shouldn't fear a x/r so when he checks it seems like he has a pretty marginal hand trying to get to showdown.

River ($9.25) :QC: H checks, V bets $7.50, H ???

At this point in the hand I was ready to try to get to showdown with my A high when V decides to bet 80% pot which makes absolutely no sense to me. Sucks that I block JT but I wouldn't put it past him to limp/call JTo pre. I feel like his strongest hands and flush draws should be betting that turn when checked to so what does he have here that takes this line and decides to polarize the river?

I"ll wait for some responses and share the results later.

Comments

• ulysses27ulysses27 Red Chipper Posts: 114 ✭✭
    My first thought is that the way you played the hand looks like you have exactly what you have, two overs that missed the board.

Based on your description he sounds pretty sticky with lesser hands that connect with the board which explains his stack size. He's winning with hands people don't expect him to have. I could see him limping with Q3s seeing the river and hoping to get value from better Q. But I wouldn't probably hero call unless you've seen him bluff with complete air. My guess is that he's connected with the board in some way. I also would've checked the flop since it hits his range much better then yours. You could then call and see if you pick up any equity or any bluff lines develop.

As far as putting him on a range I'd be looking at suited cards and unsuited connectors that he likes but doesn't want to raise with.
  • NinjahNinjah Red Chipper Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 19
    ulysses27 wrote: »
    My first thought is that the way you played the hand looks like you have exactly what you have, two overs that missed the board.

Based on your description he sounds pretty sticky with lesser hands that connect with the board which explains his stack size. He's winning with hands people don't expect him to have. I could see him limping with Q3s seeing the river and hoping to get value from better Q. But I wouldn't probably hero call unless you've seen him bluff with complete air. My guess is that he's connected with the board in some way. I also would've checked the flop since it hits his range much better then yours. You could then call and see if you pick up any equity or any bluff lines develop.

As far as putting him on a range I'd be looking at suited cards and unsuited connectors that he likes but doesn't want to raise with.

He's wide, but not Q3 wide, which makes the number of two pair combos that connect with the Q very few. Q9 is the only one I'd expect. I hate to narrow someone down to a single hand but it's the only one that makes sense given this line and sizing. The question then becomes...are there any bluffs (air) that play this way?
  • ulysses27ulysses27 Red Chipper Posts: 114 ✭✭
    edited May 19
    What are you putting in his limping vs raising range? Do you have any VPIP or PFR stats on him? I think I was comparing him to a similar player type that would play that wide based on the description of playing hands he shouldn't.

The only bluffs I can think of are 45, J10 or 810. You do hold the blocker but it's still possible. KJ is possible but I would think he'd raise that on the button. Is it possible that he would limp 22 or 44 and turn this into a bluff?
    No HUD available on Global. Had not seen him raise once preflop at the table but had limped a good bit, including K8o and A8o.
  • kenaceskenaces Red Chipper Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭✭
    I would go for XC on the flop as my default.

As far as how to range the guy - high VP can vary widely when the LC. Some just L/F big chunks of their range and others will have zero folding and therefore be super wide.

If they are super wide preflop then your large CB might be OK

Again as played I have no clue what his range is but I would just XF river as my default read on players that open limp = loss passive. Therefore they don't bluff enough.
    kenaces wrote: »
    I would go for XC on the flop as my default.

As far as how to range the guy - high VP can vary widely when the LC. Some just L/F big chunks of their range and others will have zero folding and therefore be super wide.

If they are super wide preflop then your large CB might be OK

Again as played I have no clue what his range is but I would just XF river as my default read on players that open limp = loss passive. Therefore they don't bluff enough.

I disagree that the sizing is large - it's 38% and the board has plenty of draws available for his range. He isn't 100% loose passive. I've seen him raise KJo vs cbet in a 3b pot on K42dd...

His sizing and line gave me a gut feeling that he was just clicking buttons and decided to bluff since I had "gave up" and there were just so few value combos that made since that he could play this way.

He had J8o for a busted straight so it worked out but in hindsight I don't think the bluff combos are there for me to call.
  • kenaceskenaces Red Chipper Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭✭
    I stand corrected. I misread the flop CB size.
  • RedRed Red Chipper Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭✭
    Ninjah wrote: »
    His sizing and line gave me a gut feeling that he was just clicking buttons
    That's just it.
    His line makes somehow sens until the river. Then it's totally strange.

V didn't stab turn IP, which, considering how wet the board is, caps his range. If he has a good made hand - even a straight T8/54 - , I'd expect a turn stab often both for value - and protection against FD.
    Furthermore a Q almost never improve any of his hand - only Q9/Q7. So V still has many marginal hands and busted draws. So it's hard to see him enjoying this river card.

What I think ready your OP is that either he has a strong hand he didn't know how to play, or he is spazzing out with a busted hand (to be professional: his range is (strongly?) unbalanced with too many busted hands)

I'd see an easy call with our Q we check for range protection.
    A call with AX is more difficult. I think a call with AT is ok, esp. because it blocks T8 (if there are still any in V's range).

Note that a call is almost impossible if V is OOP. His turn check doesn't cap him much and he leads polarized after your turn missed c-bet - even better on a Q which allows you many hand to call. You now could face sets, straights, many 2P.

Same if we change the river. There are many river card which favors him and strengthen his range even after he checked turn - with flushes, straights, 2P.
  • ABLsaurusRexABLsaurusRex Red Chipper Posts: 2 ✭✭
    It really doesn't matter whether his line makes sense or not. Here's a player who plays a large range of hands and who could have anything. What you have in your hand is a very pretty bluff catcher. Barring outside information, I would fold.
    Hands he could have which win: A3 QJ QT T8 x6 x3 Qx KQ
    Ed Miller says that for small stakes poker large river bets are usually good and you shouldn't pay them off, if you want someone's opinion who's not me.

I save my hero calls for tournament poker.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file