Turning our aces into a bluff catcher

youngs7youngs7 Red Chipper Posts: 6 ✭✭
Hello everyone

I thought I would share this hand I played on 10NL zoom on stars, where I 3b from the small blind and run into an interesting spot on the river. Would like to hear your opinion.

10 NL Zoom on Pokerstars, no reads or sample size on villain.

Hero is SB with :Ah:Ac
Action folds around to Villain who opens 3x on the button.
Hero 3bets to $1. BB fold, villain calls.

Pot: $2.10
Flop: :Ks:Kc:Qc
Hero checks.
Villain checks.

When he calls my 3bet i put him on JJ-77, AQs-ATs, KJs+, QJs, AQo, KQo.
With card removal, villain has 51 combos. If he would call all kings, queens and 99-JJ
we are down to 35 combos of which 8 have me beat. So i definetly miss some value here.
When I played the hand I felt like he had more Kx.

Pot: $2.10
Turn: :7d
Hero checks.
Villain bets $1
Hero calls.

Getting just over 3:1 on a call, not gonna fold here ever. His sevens just turned a boat,
but he could really be betting 100% of his range here. Could be stabbing with ATs-AJs, or betting with his AQ. I could also see him stabbing with his pocket pairs for whatever reason, so his range doesnt really change here imo.

Pot: $4.10
River: :2d
Hero checks
Villain bets $3.90
Hero tanks and calls

Getting 2:1 on a call here. It's really close, but I figured he would bet all of his boats and AQ for value. Now, in equilab I see that it gives AA just about the right equity to call at 35%.

Villain shows :Kd:Qs for a full house.

How would you guys play it? Any thoughts on other lines or range constructions?
I find 3bet pots really hard in 10NL because guys can show up with just about any
suited hand you could imagine. Let me know if I should change anything posting hands in the future aswell. Ty :)

Comments

• ulysses27ulysses27 Red Chipper Posts: 130 ✭✭
    I don't really mind your line. V checking the flop to me says he didn't connect with the board very much or hit it hard and is waiting for you to catch up. I think your range construction makes sense without any other info. I probably would have led out on the turn targeting any non Kx hand. By checking the flop you do disgiuse your hand strength which I think is good for getting calls from lesser pairs. Then on the river bet 1/2 pot and if you get check raised it sucks but it's easy to fold. Most 10nl players don't bluff the river enough for a hero call unless you know they are really loose or just like to gamble.
  • TheGameKatTheGameKat Posts: 3,838 -
    It's amazing to me how many first HHs involve AA.
    Moderation In Moderation
  • youngs7youngs7 Red Chipper Posts: 6 ✭✭
    @ulysses27 thanks for feedback
    @TheGameKat dont worry, i'll post KK too ;)
  • AkashicAkashic Red Chipper Posts: 100 ✭✭
    edited May 28
    what @TheGameKat means is that we want to see the hands you think are unimportant. That is where the greatest leaks happen. Anyone can win with AA, but what about that J7s you didn't cbet in position in a HU pot, then missed the delayed cbet, then missed the river bet when opponent checks it down all the way?

What about the failed check-raise on the flop with a draw to the nuts? What about the time we call a cbet from OOP with no backdoor equity against a calling station? What about the time we bet small when we should be betting large for value and betting big when we should be checking?
  • TheGameKatTheGameKat Posts: 3,838 -
    Good summary, and apologies if my original contribution came across as facetious. Not all AA hands are created equal and I think the river decision here is interesting.

Thanks to the influence of Mr. Miller, we have a tendency here to fold to big river bets when holding one pair. It'd be interesting for you to share your assumed river range that bets that big. Against a solid player one would expect the sizing to indicate polarization, but I'm not sure that should be our default assumption at 10NL.
    Moderation In Moderation
    Akashic wrote: »
    what @TheGameKat means is that we want to see the hands you think are unimportant. That is where the greatest leaks happen. Anyone can win with AA, but what about that J7s you didn't cbet in position in a HU pot, then missed the delayed cbet, then missed the river bet when opponent checks it down all the way?

What about the failed check-raise on the flop with a draw to the nuts? What about the time we call a cbet from OOP with no backdoor equity against a calling station? What about the time we bet small when we should be betting large for value and betting big when we should be checking?

Thanks, I'll keep that in mind!
    TheGameKat wrote: »
    Good summary, and apologies if my original contribution came across as facetious. Not all AA hands are created equal and I think the river decision here is interesting.

Thanks to the influence of Mr. Miller, we have a tendency here to fold to big river bets when holding one pair. It'd be interesting for you to share your assumed river range that bets that big. Against a solid player one would expect the sizing to indicate polarization, but I'm not sure that should be our default assumption at 10NL.

I didn't really think about villains range corresponding to his bet sizing... That said, it would make sense for him to bet smaller with his AQ. Thanks
  • blindraiseblindraise Red Chipper Posts: 306 ✭✭
    I think this flop is interesting in that it favors your range, yet u check. You could be allowing opps equity with this play.

Also, if you dislike going against wide 3bet ranges there is an answer to that. Size up your 3bets and punish those wide ranges with aggression post.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file