Types of bets questions

GetJobDoneGetJobDone Red Chipper Posts: 17 ✭✭
Hi,

Going through CORE I thought that developing my own HUD will make me understand the concepts behind poker better. Several questions popped up while I was collecting stats on the APT bots, and I'd really appreciate someone clarifying them for me.
  1. If pre-flop is limped, is the bet on the flop still called an open raise?
  2. Pre-flop: CO open raises > BTN 3 bets > CO calls; Flop: CO bets > BTN raises. Is CO bet on the flop a donk bet and is BTN call a 4 bet?
  3. Do cbets and barelling make single raised pot into 3 bet and 4 bet pots or pot stays SPR?
  4. What is a bet called if pre-flop aggressor OOP checks on the flop and player after him/her bets? Float bet?
  5. If the leading player IP cbets on the flop, gets called, then on the turn the opponent checks, leading player checks too, then on the river the opponent bets instead of checking. Is that donk bet?

Comments

• AkashicAkashic Red Chipper Posts: 103 ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Can't weigh in on HUD info, but I can help clarify some things.

1: Limping contributes to VPIP. Open raise is used only for preflop open raises.

2: When we are looking at preflop, the blinds are the mandatory bet. You can think of this as a 1-bet if you want. When somebody "open-raises" preflop, that is considered a raise. You can think of that as a 2-bet if you want. If somebody else raises on top of that, that is a another raise. You can think of that as a 3-bet if want. The x-bet just means this is the xth bet in a sequence.

However, on the flop, these terms reset. So if CO bets, that is just a bet. If BTN raises that, it is just a raise and you can think of this as a 2-bet.

If the CO bets the flop, he is leading into the previous aggressor and you can consider this a donk bet. If BTN calls this leading bet, it is not a 4-bet. It is simply a call.

3: 3-bets and 4-bets reference how many raises have occurred. C-bets (barreling is the same thing) do not change the pot into a 3-bet, 4-bet, 5-bet, or x-bet pot. When a pot is referred to a 3-bet pot, that simply that somebody re-raised and opening raise preflop.

Sizing of the opening bets and raises change the SPR. You calculate that on the Flop, so you may have the same SPR in a single raised pot as you would in a 3-bet pot. Example: I open to $20 and get a call vs I open to $8 and get raised to $20 and I call. Both pots are $40 (excluding blinds and rake) and have the same SPR.

4: That is a Float Bet. A bet vs missed bet when we are IP.

5 : That is a probe bet because the aggressor took a passive line the street prior. If the aggressor bet on the Turn and we call, then we lead on the river, that is a donk bet.

I'd double check this info in case I am wrong

Edit: glossary for this site
    https://redchippoker.com/poker-glossary-terms-definitions/
  • wescrowescro Red Chipper Posts: 68 ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    1. This would be an "open", but not a raise, since there aren't any bets or blinds out there on the flop.
    2. A bet is considered a "donk" bet if the person making the bet is acting before the aggressor from the previous street. Since the CO opened but then only called the 3-bet from the BTN before the flop, they are not the aggressor. Therefore this would be considered a donk bet.
    3. Not sure what you are asking here. It's possible you don't understand "SPR", this is short for Stack-to-Pot ratio. In other words, if there is $100 in the pot and the effective stack is only $200, then the SPR is 2-to-1.
    4. That would just be an open. It's not a donk bet, since the previous aggressor didn't act. "Floating" refers to calling a bet with a speculative hand that is likely behind but is continuing with the hopes of improving and/or stealing the pot on a later street.
    5. This is generally not considered a donk bet, since the action on the previous street went X/X.
  • GetJobDoneGetJobDone Red Chipper Posts: 17 ✭✭
    wescro wrote: »
    1. This would be an "open", but not a raise, since there aren't any bets or blinds out there on the flop.
    2. A bet is considered a "donk" bet if the person making the bet is acting before the aggressor from the previous street. Since the CO opened but then only called the 3-bet from the BTN before the flop, they are not the aggressor. Therefore this would be considered a donk bet.
    3. Not sure what you are asking here. It's possible you don't understand "SPR", this is short for Stack-to-Pot ratio. In other words, if there is $100 in the pot and the effective stack is only $200, then the SPR is 2-to-1.
    4. That would just be an open. It's not a donk bet, since the previous aggressor didn't act. "Floating" refers to calling a bet with a speculative hand that is likely behind but is continuing with the hopes of improving and/or stealing the pot on a later street.
    5. This is generally not considered a donk bet, since the action on the previous street went X/X.

Thank you for clarifications!

1. This is clear.
    2. What is the BTN's raise of the donk bet then? A 4 bet in this case?
    3. Sorry, it was a typo, I'm talking about SRP - single raised pot.
    4. Understood. So if the aggressor doesn't follow up, they give the lead to someone who opens.
    5. Understood. Similar to #4. The aggressor gave up the lead.
    Akashic wrote: »

2: ... If the CO bets the flop, he is leading into the previous aggressor and you can consider this a donk bet. If BTN calls this leading bet, it is not a 4-bet. It is simply a call.

Thanks Akashic! I meant a raise, not a call by the BTN. BTN raising CO's donk bet. So in this case you're saying that on the flop the terms reset and this would just be a raise then. Also understood we can't refer to bets as x-bet after pre-flop. What if someone re-raises a raise on the flop? Just a re-raise?
    Akashic wrote: »

3: 3-bets and 4-bets reference how many raises have occurred. C-bets (barreling is the same thing) do not change the pot into a 3-bet, 4-bet, 5-bet, or x-bet pot. When a pot is referred to a 3-bet pot, that simply that somebody re-raised and opening raise preflop.

Got it. Thanks.
  • AkashicAkashic Red Chipper Posts: 103 ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    You can totally use x-bet after the flop. Just understand that the notation is used to represent a sequence of bets. 4-bet = bet + raise + raise + raise. The reset I was talking about is the value of x. So if there is a 3-bet pre-flop. there can also be a 3-bet on the flop.

Preflop 3-bet = blinds + raise + raise
    Flop 3-bet = bet + raise + raise

Edit:
    We mainly only use x-bet to refer to the preflop action. So it probably is not correct terminology for post-flop action, but if it helps you understand what is happening, then use it.
  • TheGameKatTheGameKat Posts: 4,670 -
    I think Jones uses x-bet postflop, so it's RCP approved.
    Moderation In Moderation

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file