Tough spot against a LAG

AAljehin81AAljehin81 Red Chipper Posts: 4 ✭✭
edited June 11 in Online Poker Hands
Here is a hand i played couple days ago online on a Croatian poker site.It is 6-max table with 2/4 blinds.My opponnent is a LAG reg who has been dominating the table for the whole session raising a large chunk of the time both with his good hands and also with some marginal hands such as suited connectors and some suited gappers.I have been waiting for some playable hand to get involved with him and here is the hand where i think my river decission to call the river wasnt good in the long run but against such a agro opponent i tought it has some +EV

Villain(stack 458,40)
opens from HJ for 14

Hero(stack 812,29)
calls from CO with :Qc : :Kd
everyone else folds

Flop: :Qd:Th:8h

Villain bets 28
Hero calls 28

Turn: :5d
Villain bets 60
Hero raises to 150
Note:Facing the bet of 2/3 pot i wasnt feeling very comfortable with top pair and second kicker since i have seen this guy bets the turn same way with some strong hands and i have also seen him do that with some good draws.Since i have the queen in my hand i put him on a flush draw(with a pair maybe) or a possibly straight draw but my main idea was that against such a loose and agro player i wasnt really gonna throw away my top pair.

Villain calls!
Pot size 390

River: :9c

Villain shoves for 266,40
Hero calls 266,40

Villain shows :Qs:Kc and we ended chopping the pot
After the hand Villain was ranting and said to me :How can you call that?!
That is such a bad call.I think i played the hand ok and my tought on the river was that given the pot odds 2,46/1 i have to be right about 30% of the time and aginst this type of player i tought i can make that call.What do you think?I am still not sure it is the right play

Comments

• RedRed Red Chipper Posts: 2,396 ✭✭✭✭
    I think you should start by addressing your turn raise. As much as I like it in general, I don't think you've the hand to do it.
  • NinjahNinjah Red Chipper Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭✭
    Did you give any thought into a 3b pre?

You state that weren't feeling very comfortable on the turn but you elect to raise? That's counterintuitive imo. Given the player I think we're happy calling down here but it's wayyyy too thin to raise the turn on this board.
  • SplitSuitSplitSuit RCP Coach Posts: 4,070 -
    Ninjah wrote: »
    You state that weren't feeling very comfortable on the turn but you elect to raise? That's counterintuitive imo.

this was my first thought too fwiw.
    📑 Grab my custom poker spreadsheet pack right now.
    📘 Start the Preflop & Math Poker Workbook today.
  • BFSkinnerBFSkinner Red Chipper Posts: 152 ✭✭
    This hand hits a lot of your opponent's range and you have a bluff catcher. Raising a bluff catcher will rarely get called by worse.

When he shoves the river after you raise the turn, you are usually losing with a call there.
  • AAljehin81AAljehin81 Red Chipper Posts: 4 ✭✭
    Thanks guys for the tips.I have to say i was feeling uncomfortable the whole hand becouse that kind of villain who is very aggressive,always in your face,Youre right i should not have raised the river,i should have gone with the calling line.I did think about 3 bet pre but i saw him 4 bet couple times with very strong hands and few times with some suited connectors so i decided to call and play the hand in position.Still learning about the ranges and against most opponents in those limits i can roughly put tham on a certain range but there are guys like this one who arehard to read.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file